It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Americans and Crime Rates in USA, WHY???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

I would think if you were such an anti-racist you would be happy that the OP posted this thread at all.
It's clear that the OP is questioning the society that has raised everyone to sub-consciously label blacks and mexicans as 'thugs'
Because admit it.
Every single person, no matter who they are or how good intentioned they are, is a little bit prejudiced.
It's human nature to be prejudiced, and our society uses that to their advantage to turn us all against each other.
Yes, the OP has been raised in a society that teaches that blacks are thugs and on the news, a good majority of the criminals are blacks.
But is the OP questioning this? Clearly yes, because in the title of this thread, they ask "WHY?"
Do you think the OP thinks that the reason is because blacks must be more wild and aggressive?

I personally think it's great that someone is opening their eyes and seeing, "Wait a second. Something's not quite right here."
What I got from the original post was that this person realizes they've been taught to take the fact that there is a disproportionate amount of black crime and that they are terribly discriminated against in the media for granted.
But now the OP is wondering, why is that happening?
Racism is INGRAINED in all of us, so the mere fact that someone is questioning the existence of the institutionalized prejudice is AWESOME.
No one can just magically not be racist anymore, but to have the ability to start questioning their belief system is the first step towards a better world so I would be a little less hasty to write this poster off immediately as a racist, because you might lose someone who could make a real difference in the world through an awareness of the ingrained racism in our society.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mozzy
whatever, you can keep believing that blacks cause more crime and discuss why all you want. hold a tissue next to your eye while you do it cause someone might be watching and they'll think you're so wonderful for trying to understand.

wait, that doesn't make any sense does it?

of course it doesn't, guess why?? cause the op hasn't once replied to his post. you have no frame of reference.

unfortunately ... you don't have to be the OP here to get a frame of reference. what he's described in your country happens in other westernized countries as well. ours for example and australia and the uk. probably more.

there is a pattern here that is too similar to be put down to mere co-incidence and warrants discussion whether you feel comfortable with it or not. the only way to resolve these issues is to discuss them and explore them thoroughly. sweeping them under the carpet has been tried already ... it doesn't work.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Mozzy good work at holding these questions, looks like this thread has become yours; continue to hold your composure. Everyone is going to have a different point of view as silly as that might be sometimes. I think I've said enough about my opinion if anyone would like to, ask me any questions refer to the earlier posts. Best of luck Mozzy!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
I think the root cause is poverty.

i have been extremely poor - all i had to eat while I was growing up [during my so called troubled teens] was some dried up discarded bread that my mother would grate up for me so that I could lick up the bread crumbs- and I and my family would not consider doing anything remotely criminal so poverty alone is not the answer

and we were not praticularly religious either - it was just against our personal morals as a family to resort to crime or law breaking

go figure

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by difsjf
reply to post by Mozzy

I would think if you were such an anti-racist you would be happy that the OP posted this thread at all.
It's clear that the OP is questioning the society that has raised everyone to sub-consciously label blacks and mexicans as 'thugs'
Because admit it.
Every single person, no matter who they are or how good intentioned they are, is a little bit prejudiced.
It's human nature to be prejudiced, and our society uses that to their advantage to turn us all against each other.
Yes, the OP has been raised in a society that teaches that blacks are thugs and on the news, a good majority of the criminals are blacks.
But is the OP questioning this? Clearly yes, because in the title of this thread, they ask "WHY?"
Do you think the OP thinks that the reason is because blacks must be more wild and aggressive?

I personally think it's great that someone is opening their eyes and seeing, "Wait a second. Something's not quite right here."
What I got from the original post was that this person realizes they've been taught to take the fact that there is a disproportionate amount of black crime and that they are terribly discriminated against in the media for granted.
But now the OP is wondering, why is that happening?
Racism is INGRAINED in all of us, so the mere fact that someone is questioning the existence of the institutionalized prejudice is AWESOME.
No one can just magically not be racist anymore, but to have the ability to start questioning their belief system is the first step towards a better world so I would be a little less hasty to write this poster off immediately as a racist, because you might lose someone who could make a real difference in the world through an awareness of the ingrained racism in our society.

Thank You, the point of my post wasnt to start anything racial, even though, thats exactly what it is. But how can you bring up a topic like this without people thinking your racist????? Tell me how???? If, I noticed that more white people or more native american people or more asian people were out there doing these things, I would have posted the same question. Im not focusing on african american people because im white or racist against them at all. This is just something that I have noticed over the course of my lifetime.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by megabyte

i have been extremely poor - all i had to eat while I was growing up [during my so called troubled teens] was some dried up discarded bread that my mother would grate up for me so that I could lick up the bread crumbs- and I and my family would not consider doing anything remotely criminal so poverty alone is not the answer

and we were not praticularly religious either - it was just against our personal morals as a family to resort to crime or law breaking

go figure

but you're also not black are you? neither you nor generations of your ancestors before you have been looked down on for the colour of your skin right?

go figure.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DroolsAlot

To be really honest, we're all a little racist, and we don't even realize it.
The way our society is makes us that way.
It's only by accepting that you do have a little of that ingrained prejudice in you that you can start moving past it.

I think it's really great that you posed this question though.
The real answer (at least, the answer that I have found out for myself and have come to believe) is a mixture of poverty and what someone earlier on the thread said about society not being kind to people who aren't white, so why should those who aren't white be kind to society?
There are African Americans who are rich but more often then not they live in the so-called ghettos, with relatives who are already drug dealers, and then they go to crappy schools with white teachers who are trying to motivate them to succeed, but since they don't have real role models in our society, many don't understand why they would want to succeed.
In the media they are portrayed as savages and psychologically, if someone tells you that you are something long enough, you start to believe it.
So with no real means to succeed, difficulty getting into college because of prevalent racism, a mindset that believes you are lesser than a white American because of your skin, and no real support system but the family who has already come to this conclusion and has already turned to drug dealing and gangs, what else are you gonna do?
So the vicious cycle continues on.

I hope that whole ramble made sense.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by difsjf

your ramble makes sense to me.

something else that should be acknowledged is ... black people know that there are literally thousands and millions of white people who aren't racist and don't give a damn about our colour. we do know you're all out there. we also know, well, those of us who take note of current affairs, that things are getting better.

to get it right though ... it's going to take time and focus. right now the focus on race relations is not a priority so ... it's probably going to take a LOT of time, lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by difsjf

To be really honest, we're all a little racist, and we don't even realize it.
The way our society is makes us that way.
It's only by accepting that you do have a little of that ingrained prejudice in you that you can start moving past it.

I think it's really great that you posed this question though.
The real answer (at least, the answer that I have found out for myself and have come to believe) is a mixture of poverty and what someone earlier on the thread said about society not being kind to people who aren't white, so why should those who aren't white be kind to society?
There are African Americans who are rich but more often then not they live in the so-called ghettos, with relatives who are already drug dealers, and then they go to crappy schools with white teachers who are trying to motivate them to succeed, but since they don't have real role models in our society, many don't understand why they would want to succeed.
In the media they are portrayed as savages and psychologically, if someone tells you that you are something long enough, you start to believe it.
So with no real means to succeed, difficulty getting into college because of prevalent racism, a mindset that believes you are lesser than a white American because of your skin, and no real support system but the family who has already come to this conclusion and has already turned to drug dealing and gangs, what else are you gonna do?
So the vicious cycle continues on.

I hope that whole ramble made sense.

Yeah it does, I guess I just wish something more could be done to change the way things are for the better.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll
reply to post by difsjf

your ramble makes sense to me.

something else that should be acknowledged is ... black people know that there are literally thousands and millions of white people who aren't racist and don't give a damn about our colour. we do know you're all out there. we also know, well, those of us who take note of current affairs, that things are getting better.

to get it right though ... it's going to take time and focus. right now the focus on race relations is not a priority so ... it's probably going to take a LOT of time, lol.

I agree

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Right now all that you can really do is be aware of the things you say or do that perpetuate it.
And try and help others be aware too.
Soon enough, and now hopefully sooner rather than later, more and more people are going to start waking up and realizing that our society is just disgusting sometimes, (most of the time), and as soon as enough people wake up, there WILL be enough motivation from everyone to end it.

I hope I don't sound like I think I'm so smart and so much better than everyone or anything. I really am just talking out of my own experience and what I have learned about the way we treat each other.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
don't worry ...

you're not the only one who wonders what's going on and when things might change for the better.

i fear my own people and take precautionary measures to protect my family against what they might do. it's nothing more than basic survival instincts.
the only difference between you and i is ... i know why my people are angry and why they might revolt.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Two things need to be said on the subject.

1.) Disproportionately stiff sentencing for blacks. A white juvenile is more likely to get community service for a crime that would land a black juvenile in prison. (The term African American is ignorant and insensitive, many folks with dark skin are neither American nor of African descent)

2.) Education is skewed and, that said, educational level is a very accurate predictor of criminal tendency. The educated commit fewer crimes.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by wookiee

Show me 'poverty' in the US!

At least one car, two tv's, one of which is widescreen, at least one phone & cellphone.
Housing with air conditioning, so much money, they can buy food a convenience stores that charge 25%± more than grocery stores.

Poverty's not the problem.

Free handouts is the problem, if they were made to work, those numbers would be different.

Can I come be poor in your neighborhood. I make an ok living and I do not have a wide screen, i do not use my AC, and I never pay convience store prices for food. I also have one phone. It is just too expensive to live any other way. I want to come to your neighborhood because I suspect that when you turn off Rush Limbaugh, you might learn something. How many of these people's homes have you been in? How many of them do you follow to the store to see where they buy their food? Where do you get this crap aside from right wing radio. I know where you hear it, where do you actually witness it? Really now. Or do you see someone with no car buying over priced food at a 7-11 because they cannot walk far enough to buy decent food cheaply? Follow them home next time. Tell me all about their extravagant lifestyles. Tell me all about the rooms full of $150 televisions from walmart. Why do people feel so sure about talking points they hear on the radio when there is nothing to ever back that crap up but one or two personal annecdotes that are so far out of context as to be completely worthless. I am sure I have one just such a thing coming to me soon.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

The OP:

Look, im not racist at all.

End of story...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Two things need to be said on the subject.

1.) Disproportionately stiff sentencing for blacks. A white juvenile is more likely to get community service for a crime that would land a black juvenile in prison. (The term African American is ignorant and insensitive, many folks with dark skin are neither American nor of African descent)

2.) Education is skewed and, that said, educational level is a very accurate predictor of criminal tendency. The educated commit fewer crimes.

i initially balked at your first statement and thought ... get real.

then i realized that oh you are in a different country and you all do things differently there. so is what you're saying true? black americans are treated more harshly in courts than white?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   

go figure

but you're also not black are you? neither you nor generations of your ancestors before you have been looked down on for the colour of your skin right?

go figure.

indeed

so is it the skin color?

i have a theory

the arican americans are the ones mainly discussed here - and they came from the slave trade

I believe that a lot of the slave owners were more abusive than we understand and that included immorally abusive, not caring about morals when they dealt with slaves
this break down in morals that these slave people had originally from their culture has never been replaced once it was lost thru being abused while they were slaves

perhaps this is why for some african americans it is so difficult to return to moral values that are useful to their best survival and also society around them

I dont understand it tho because a lot of african americans go to church much more often than I ever did

if it is not just poverty and not just skin color then perhaps that is the missing ingredient?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   

go figure

go figure.

indeed

so is it the skin color?

i have a theory

the arican americans are the ones mainly discussed here - and they came from the slave trade

I believe that a lot of the slave owners were more abusive than we understand and that included immorally abusive, not caring about morals when they dealt with slaves
this break down in morals that these slave people had originally from their culture has never been replaced once it was lost thru being abused while they were slaves

perhaps this is why for some african americans it is so difficult to return to moral values that are useful to their best survival and also society around them

I dont understand it tho because a lot of african americans go to church much more often than I ever did

if it is not just poverty and not just skin color then perhaps that is the missing ingredient?

i don't think that's it at all. but i can't speak for the african americans because i'm not one of them.

i am however a coloured person trying to make it in a white mans world. i know what it is to be treated differently ... i know what it is to be looked at differently.

i've been told, "you're not bad looking for a *coloured* girl". "you're not like other *coloured* women". excuse me?

after a while you get a bit sick of these sentiments, believe me ... but they sink in.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
HUH? Your argument is false. You seem to be a troll and I'm going to ignore you after this. I cannot believe you are allowed to troll here and stir up trouble when the OP just asked a simple and very relevant question. You, my dear, are the racist.

Edited to add that is was you, Mozzy, I am referring to in this post. Thanks!

[edit on 4-12-2008 by uplander]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I think there is a wider issue here than most people think..

First, blacks in the u.S. need to get over themselves. Stop blaming everyone else for their problems. Get out of the ghetto...and don't fall back in to the trap of that culture.

I live in the greatest state in these United states, Oklahoma. There is a town to the west of me where a preacher relocated 20 or so black kids from the ghettos of LA to give them a hand up. They fell right back in to the crap because they couldn't let go of a lifestyle.

Second, EVERY race has their quirks. Whites screw people over, blacks are "hardcore", Mexicans are sleepy and Indians are drunks (that's right I said Indians. There is no such thing as a Native American in North America. I can't speak for Aztecs and the like because I don't know...but I DO know that every Indian is a descendant of someone who walked to North America. I can get on board with calling us original settlers or hell, even tribal Americans but not Native...not ever. BTW Mozzy, just because your grandfather was 75% Indian doesn't mean #. Call people what you want to call them because you have the testicular fortitude to not care. Not because you have Indian in your left pinky and that somehow gives you the right to claim you're an authority and a part of our culture. Oh, and stop saying "hear" when it's "here". You are a troll and a total waste of air. )

Races have differences that are bred into them by genetics and nurtured by culture. A black man whipping out the gun on the street corner is no different than a black man chucking a spear into a rival tribe member on the Serengeti. They are genetically predisposed to be territorial and hostile. That's how they survived. Whites are genetically predisposed to out wit and out think the next guy without fighting. A white man stealing massive amounts of money from a corporation is the same as him buying 200 million acres for beads.

These facts will never change. The only way to stop the differences in race is to stop having race. If everyone interbred for the next 200 years we'd all turn out a creamy brown...be damn good looking, better suited for whatever environment we might come across and stop hating each other.

Or we could have a mass awakening where we all held ourselves accountable for our own progress and we all shrived for the betterment of the human race.

As for why black people commit more crimes than others, well that's simple. They don't. They just commit different types. A black will break in to your house. A white will steal all your money in "a good deal". A Mexican will knife you, an Indian will get drunk and smash his car in to you.

We are all human, and there will always be a small portion of all of our races that the majority of us will be ashamed of. Accept it, move on, and just be good to each other. But if you see someone coming out of your house with your stuff again, blast a hole in him the size of Texas, and I bet you wont get robbed again
That's the Oklahoman in me coming out, and that's not racist, it's just the principal of the matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join