It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panama Canal opens for Russian warship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Well I see this as being nothing... probably. Of course theres always that 1 percent chance that Russia is actually going to do something but I strongly doubt it. Also why are you taking this article so seriously? Your from England correct? Well I'm not sure what type of news organizations you have over there but this is the first time I've heard of Austin News.Net. Which would give me the underlining impression that this isn't the most credible site since I read news daily and have never stumbled upon this site. Seems to me that whoever wrote the article wanted somebody to actually read it; easiest way to do that, write a interesting title, journalism 101.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lokey13

Your from England correct?

Have a look again

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I'm sorry I called Australia... England. Although originally Australia was simply an English prison so I suppose your English (although you know that). The mistake was by looking at old black jack without seeing the other part of the flag and ya location australia should have been a give away lol. Point taken but you do agree that this website is not the most credible?

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Lokey13]

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Lokey13]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Velvet Death

sure , go ahead try it , and usa will obliterated in less in half an hour

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Lokey13

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but you should stop with the assuntioms...definately not english or ANY english decsent anywhere in my history.

I am not going to say that the source has no credibility but I am not going to defend it either. What I will say is that they were merely the first to report it.
Guardian.co.uk

Monday's manoeuvres with Venezuela by the Admiral Chabanenko and the nuclear-powered missile cruiser Peter the Great, along with two support ships, were widely seen as a show of anger at the US sending warships through Turkey's Bosphorus into the Black Sea to deliver aid to Georgia after Tbilisi's war with Russia over South Ossetia.

Associated Press

Russia appears to be relishing the idea of stopping at what was long a symbol of U.S. global power; the Russian Navy announced it would visit "the Rodman naval base" — a name that the host nation, Panama has not used since taking over the base from the United States in 1999.

Voice of America

Russian officials have denied that the tour and naval maneuvers were meant to provoke the U.S. in its sphere of influence.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Can you bring me any source of US direct involvement in fighting between Georgia and Russia? Even Russians do not say that, they conveniently blame only Ukrainians. And payback it is, US military ships were in Black sea - what Russia still considers its (and Turkish) backyard, obviously a threat gesture. Now Russian military ship is in US backyard. So it is all about gestures,hidden warnings,threats. If there was US soldier and Russians could point it out - they would. Even with supposed American mercenary it is not that clear since passport Russia showed was outdated and he did claimed lost passport years ago.
The fact that "independent" South Osetia and Abkhazia are recognized only by Russian Federation clear says that US is not the only one who does not support the extent of Russian "peacekeeping". US (and not only US) trained and supplied Georgian forces but it was not peacekeeper. Russia trained and supplied local South Osetian militia and it was the "peacekeeper".

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Velvet Death
The US could swat Russia and a bunch of other nations like a bug if necessary

Sorry velvet but not right now. US resources are elsewhere. Granted - still by far the best force on the planet but if Russia decided to cause a bit of trouble and China backed em up.. bye bye good oul USA - this is precisely why the US aren't provoking anyone anymore.

Global military support for the US is almost gone, apart from the UK, everyone else seems pretty sick of watching the bullying. And these days, noone can fight a war without allies.. that includes the US.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I dont see any problem here at all. The Panama Canal, like the Suez Canal is open by their owning nations for commercial reasons and are available to ALL nations that have maritime assets, regardless of who they are.

As for 'docking' at a EX US NAVAL BASE, so what? It is an EX BASE - Which means it is no longer the US Navys base. If you want to read things into that, then consider this - The Chinese Navy is using an EX RN Base in Hong Kong (HMS Tamar) and there are numerous other EX bases used by other navies around the world.

Another thing, It is quite usual nowadays for Russian Navy vessels to 'visit' other countries and dock in their respective Navy Bases and vice versa. I have seen numerous Russian Warships in Portsmouth Dockyard (UK) over the years as well as US, Dutch, German, French, Canadian et al.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Ummm your clearly mistaken Australia originally started out as an English prison, this is a fact. Yes you may no longer be "English" but believe it or not open a history book that island was a giant prison and the community of Australia was originally founded to house the british gaurds. Well unless you are aborigine, which would make you a local decendent and then you actually wouldn't be English.

So my question to you is did you move to Australia? Because if you didn't then somewhere in your bloodline is a whole lot of English.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
First... only because you bring it up, why is it such a GREAT THING that Panama owns the canal...

They did not build it

The French lost over 20,000 people working on building the canal...
They gave up and left...

Then the Americans came in, and they saw how important it would be to our NATIONS security to have the canal finished.

They they got it done, it cost nearly 10,000 American lives, and nearly 30,000 all together

Building the canal was essential to the safety of the United States, and it still is, it is the most important navel stratigic point in the American World.

This is Russia's first show of her force, in this part of the world, and in the canal, since the US gave up its rights to the canal.

Russia is continuing her world tour of power...

Showing force in all the right places...

When will this tour of force end...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The same panama zone which McCain was born is in fact part of another country - makes me laugh really.

edit:

the writing of the article is aweful beyond words

The Torrijos-Carter Treaties was signed in 1979 giving a 20 year life , and the canal was handed back to Panama on december 31st 1999 , at which point all US forces had left the country - so to say `confiscated` is rubbish , as this was allready all agreed many years ago.

[edit on 4/12/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lokey13

You just wont let this go will you? Thank you for the brief history lesson of the country I was born in and grew up in. Trust me. I am very well aware of my FAMILY history and I can assure you there is NO english blood line.
Again, have a look for another clue.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
the last time I checked Russia and the U.S. were still allies.

Allies? They made have shaken hands and made nice, but the relationship has and always will be tense.
This just in...

The US sees Russia's presence in Georgia and Moldova and its suspension of Cold War era arm control agreements as major concerns.

"Russia's suspension of its implementation (of the Treaty on Conventional Forces in Europe, CFE) and its military presence in Moldova and Georgia are major concerns," US Under Secretary of State William Burns was quoted by AFP as saying on Thursday.

Slightly off topic but relevant.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join