It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand-Build an Earth Sheltered House For $5,000

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

This is far more than inflation. Inflation would take everything up evenly, including the wages. My grandfather was a horse logger, though he is deceased and sold his company, the logging company bearing his name still exists in the Okanagan. When they bought their lake front, a 1/2 acre, with only a cabin on it, they got it cheap considering in those days, most didn't appreciate the lake front, (not so anymore). However, I asked him what they went into their mortgage for and what his annual income was at the time. The property was 1/3 his annual income. Even the houses in town, that they had been encouraged to buy instead from their family could be measured in a years wage.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
How do the people supporting these structures expect to go to the bathroom?

What will you use for a bathroom? How will you keep it from polluting the water supply and your gardens?

Check these bad boys out.

www.envirolet.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Sounds like the houses they build on the Great Plains about a century ago.

The design would also be good protection against fallout.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Good link.
Nice to know there are solutions to a problem that might be overlooked.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Great toilets by concept and great compost. You just have explain to your dinner guests why your fresh veggies are so tasty.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

LOL If I was gonna build this I want a round door.

Seriously, this is not unlike what people have been doing for thousands of years, if you are fortunate enough to have a hill.sorry, Floridians can't do this.

If memory serves, and sometimes it doesn't, there are a few references to this kind of home construction in Little House on the Prairie. They made good temporary shelters, and the grassy roofs would feed the sheep.

In fact, I think they are pretty weather effecient, much like a dirt igloo. Nice and cool in the summer, warmer in the winter with snow on top.

My main issue would be what is the bane of all the indoor dwelling folk these days: bugs.

But I am sure you can get used to it.

On Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe they had an environmental company that built these things out of mud and straw bricks. Took them about two weeks I think. Can't remember what the company is called though.

Around here, land is so high that if you can buy it, you can afford the house on it. At 300k per acre, no one is going to let you build a mud hut. Your lucky if they let you paint the door the color you want. But I think it would be fine.

Another thing that is good environmentally is retroing standing buildings. I do house tours every year and see converted barns, churches, stables, etc. And they are beautiful and amazing.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well there is a an Architectural Hybrid in the United States, California I believe my friend emailed it to me, saying it look's like a Real teletubby House:
So I don't have a Link I am Afraid have mailed him will add when he gets back to me.

Though I prefer the natural ones as the Posts Op much more indeed...

The one above looks like it is just concrete casts and not very sympathetic with the environment.

Elf

[edit on 7-12-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
In the process of doing this right now.
Building it and growing our own food.

For one thing it's practical and simple for us since we dread the city and want to leave it.
Also when this economy collapses we'll be in a better position to not be out on our hungry butts in a city under marshal law.

Call me Froto.

- lee

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

Okay Froto, good for you. I am currently looking in to this as well.
I live in California and as previously posted, can't get away from a temporary structure without having approved plans from the city/county.

What are you using for the main frame?

Do you have plans, drawings of some sort?

Where abouts do you live and what has been your greatest obstacle?

Thanks for your time.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I love these kind of homes. Earth ship homes caught my attention a few years ago, but also cob, and ones built into hills. These are very intelligent, often showing what recycling can do, and how to tread with a lighter footprint on this planet. I'd like to see a lot more forests, and a lot more old growth. I don't know if its going to happen in this lifetime for me, but if I get land, I will build something along this line. The zoning laws are the hardest really. Especially if you wish to have a small eco village. And thats what I'd do with a lottery win, is establish a few of them. Just petitioning for the allowable zoning is hard.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I was looking at building my own earth ship if i get some land.

Cant wait to ram some earth into old rubber tires :]
Now to find the land.. anyone have some hilly land for sale in texas? i'll work for you to repay my debts. ha

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
These are very cool. I am going to do something similar using ferrocement/stucco but incorporate the earth ship principle also. We need more of this sort of thing. Here is the the guys site he is building another one now also.

www.simondale.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join