It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gift Certificates for an Abortion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Gift Certificates for an Abortion?

blogs.abcnews.com

Indiana's Planned Parenthood is offering a unique option this winter. $25-$100 gift certificates that can used for anything at the clinics from contraception to abortions. The Chicago Tribune reports today on the effort which is available in 35 clinics throughout the state. The CEO of the state's Planned Parenthood is quoted by the paper as saying the reception has been "pretty robust, and generally favorable" and that the vast majority of those visiting Planned Parenthood are coming for basic health issues, not an abortion. The move has set off anger. Here's an excerpt from the Chicago Tribune:

"PPIN's move has enraged various anti-abortion organizations—Indiana Right to Life and the Indiana Family Institute among them. Jim Sedlak, vice president of the American Life League and executive director of Stop Planned Parenthood, an anti-abortion group based in Stafford, Va., condemns the certificates as a continuation of Planned Parenthood's "annual attacks on the Christian community at Christmastime."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm pro choice, but even to me this seems beyond the pale.

It's a difficult decision for a woman to have an abortion - or should (IMHO) - and this simply promotes the view as abortion as a form of contraception.

For me, this is the key - responsible use of contraception, and responsible family planning, and this idea completelt negates any sort of responsibility.

It also raises the question of just who would buy these for a "loved one"

In the UK we have one of the highest rates of teenage pregnacies in the western world, thanks largely to "initiatives" like this.

Initiatives which have given children the right to contraception and abortion without the parents even knowing.

It's time that some started to take responsibility for their lifestyles and for the consequences of their sexual attitudes.

blogs.abcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hey, too bad they don't include free sterilizations in there.

Honestly, what does it say about the gift-giver and the giftee if they are given contraceptives for Christmas?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
i'm pro choice all the way and really don't have a problem with this. make it a little easier on the pocket....why not

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
My wholly inadequate to parent sister recently became pregnant. She's unemployed, unmarried, living at home. The father or impregnator recently got fired from some menial kitchen job at a fast food restaurant. Total trash. The both of them.

I know whats going in their stocking this year.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
It's time that some started to take responsibility for their lifestyles and for the consequences of their sexual attitudes.

I agree... but how do you do it? That's the whole problem.

Government can't. This is a cultural and societal change that needs to happen, and governments are ineffective at making those occur. It's a very difficult issue to grapple with.

I too am pro-choice, but I don't really know how to look at this one. Offering contraception is a good idea. Whatever you say, people are going to have sex. I don't think today is particularly decadent, I think that people are just more open about the subject. Extramarital affairs, teenage pregnancies and so on are absolutely nothing new. They were just hushed up in years gone by. Gift certificates for this sort of thing seem... well, tacky to say the least. It's not a gift I'd like to receive at Christmas, put it that way

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
There is an already existing thread on this topic here.

Please contribute any further questions and/or comments to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Somehow, I think the women getting these might be less than thrilled. Maybe because I live in a redneck part of the world where a joke is made about most anything, I'll bet this is on Letterman soon.

"Hey lady, the rest of your kids are so ugly, I thought I would give you a chance to avoid more problems. Here's your sign."

I don't see this going over too well.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

join