It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Should Be Mad, And Stuff.........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
As the title said, I should probably be mad. In fact furious. But instead I am proud. Yes. Yes I am. I am proud.

My son. Many of you know he is special needs. Enough of that stuff.

He came home with a note from his Principal that he was in trouble yesterday. There was a scuffle on the playground. 2 children grabbed my son and tried to steal his backpack. Apparently one of the children grabbed my son in a bearhug, while the other hit him and stole his backpack. The other kids on the playground were cheering while this was happening. They were both 2 grades above him. He's in Kindergarten.
My son then did something I am surprised at.
He went into defense mode and beat the heck out of both kids who were harrassing him.
Yep, I pretended to be mad. Was I? Nope. He defended himself.
JEEZ, he beat up 2 older kids. He showed his mettle. He got in trouble at school. What should I do? How do I handle this?
What did I do?

I asked him what happened.
He told me. Practically verbatim from the teachers accounts. He was honest, and reluctant to tell me.

"L'il Dude. What happened?"

He called the students by name, but I won't. "X grabbed me and hurt my neck, then Y tried to take my pack."
He was in tears.

"What did you do then Bud?"

"I pushed X, then I punched Y. Then X hit me and I punched him as hard as I could. Then Y tried to hit me and I did an 8 point block. Then I gave him a roundhouse kick."

"L'il Dude! Then what happened?"

"They ran away Daddy."

"Dude, Can I tell you a secret that you can't tell Mommy?"

"Yep."

"Dude. I am proud of you. You did good. Now tell Mommy that I yelled at you."

"OK Daddy."

"Hey guess what L'il Dude?"

He turned and looked at me.

"What Daddy?"

"I love you Buddy."

"I love you too Daddy."

I hate liars, and I detest violence. Sometimes though, while not right, it's ok.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
That's a terrible thing to happen, but I'd be right there with you in being proud of him.

Fighting is one thing, and defending yourself is another. Good for your son for defending himself, and good for you for defending your son.

You're a great dad man.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

I'm proud of him too lombozo and I don't even know your boy.

He stood up for himself and was willing to take the consequences from the school and especially his parents for fighting. He didn't start the fight or ask for it, but he sure did finish it! Good for you lombozo for letting him know he did good and that you're proud of him.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I've been in that situation with my son. Got the note and all. I told my son, and the principal, it's acceptable to defend yourself. In fact, it's imperative unless you intend to be the designated victim.

I told him to never permit any type of physical assault. You better be able to walk away from the verbal ones, but once someone gets physical you need to get physical back. Physical enough so there's no doubt about what you'll accept.

Of course, my wife disagrees. My son knows to do what he needs to and leave it to me to handle the cleanup. There hasn't been an issue since he cleaned some kid's clock in the hallway a couple of years ago.

The word gets around quickly about who will take it and who won't.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Lombozo that brought tears to my eyes.... I am glad your son stood up for himeslf, and I am even more glad that you're proud of him.

Its unacceptable that crap like this happens. Why? What is the point in picking on younger kids? I'm glad your son who'se younger, defended himself and that they both went running.

Give that little guy a hug for me

- Carrot

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Im glad to see that you son was not hurt and he stood up for himself, In my personal opinion there is not enough of that anymore, Kids are kids and are nasty and mean and say hurtful crap and for him to stand up and try to take back his property and defend himself is commendable and shows he is not a pushover and hopefully the principal will weigh the circumstances and see that he was not the aggressor and discipline the older kids for their actions. You seem like you and your wife are raising a good son and if a little scuffle here and there is all he ever gets into then your winning the good fight.Maybe the principal should have more playground aides out there as well to prevent this from happening again..Must be that Rakkasan in you being passed down to Junior eh Lombozo?...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Heh, good on him, the older kids clearly deserved what your son served to them, I don't think anyone will touch him again.

The kids who picked on me stopped when I took out their 'leader' if you'd call him that, more of a weak kid that acts tough and expects his friends to fight his fights for him. (Which they didn't
)

Give your son an extra squeezey hug from me, I've said it once and I'll say it again, your kid is AWESOME!

Roswell.

[edit on 4/12/2008 by roswell1]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
You cant scold him for defending himself. People are soft anymore and this is why our country is in shambles. People are afraid to stand up for what is right. It starts with the kids. We NEED to teach them to stand up for themselves.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

man, you should stand up for your boy no matter what anyone thinks, just be sure that he knows it is only ok in this type of situation, ya know?

stand behind him, if you dont, who will? if the teachers and the principal, and even mommy cant accept it, then oh friggin well.

just my opinion of course, and youre right to detest violence.

peace

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Lombo.

Give your boy an "extra big squeezy hug" from me, too...

I detest bullies, and I smile when I hear about bullies getting just desserts. Needless to say, I'm smiling now.

Never too early to teach kids to stand up for themselves...well done, Lombo...I know I've said this many times to you, but well done, my freind.

top topics

join