It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College May Become Unaffordable for Most in U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

Buh-bye Middle Class, hello dumbed down manual labor America. ... or .. "Americans the new Mexicans" How do you like that? Because that's exactly what this report is stating.

This is outrageous! How does this happen? How does the cost of higher ed increase over 300+% to family income? Why are you people with children not in the streets demanding a Federal Law that keeps colleges in line with cost of living?!

This is much more important to the security of this nation than the wasted TRILLIONS thrown at the make-believe War on Terror. Wake-up! Act up! This is insanity.

I have one question for you?

Who is in charge of all the colleges and universities across the country?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

How does this happen you ask? Well, for one, it falls quite a bit on the shoulders of the education institutions themselves. When I started my post high school education an average graduate credit was around $300. By the time I finished my MBA I was paying over $700. I didn't pay more because I avoided places like Harvard and Stanford. That is over a 6 year period. It's ridiculous. Who's fault? Well, I put it mainly on the schools themselves trying to take advantage of the boom we were experiencing through the Clinton years.

Greed. Plain and simply put.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
reply to post by buddhasystem

In many civilized countries, the government can actually run things efficiently.

In America, the government ruins everything it touches.

Oh please... Give us the benefit of doubt that this society of ours can still learn... By example or otherwise.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
College has NEVER been affordabe by most in the US.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

This government has lost the benefit of the doubt.

What exactly has government controlled that has been successful?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Voting in rises for representatives, no term limits for representatives. giving money to rich corporatios out of the pockets of the workers? that has all been pretty successful

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

And that's the track record that says we want to give the government more control?

Hardly.

You let government start controlling education and you'll see the quality go down, and prices go up (probably through some new tax)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
No doubt the cost of college education has risen above the cost of living curve. And its harder these days to save for college given the incrase of daily living expenses prevent that much more from being saved for a college education.

So many have to resort to grants. But when those grants and savings are spent elsewhere into things that have nothing to do with the college education, then it is not a national problem, it is a personal priorities problem. Bad decisions made by those who should not be in control of said finances when its intended for school.

These universities also know this, and also know most of their tuitions are paid via grants, or extended loans carried out over several years. It amazes me too that so many graduates going out into the real world find themsevles strapped for funds, working multiple odd jobs just to try to repay those grants and loans, ending up having that fancy vehicle repo'ed and winding up on a bycicle or on foot, living in a shared apartment with 4 other kids in the same situation when the apartment is meant for 2 or even 1, and are about to be evicted becasue of all the beer binge parties and noise.

I think a dose of responsibility is needed to be taught before the college years. Perhaps with that and some personal priority initiative things might not be so bad off. Alot of those loans and grants end up going unpaid and those costs have to be absorbed somewhere, raising the price of tuitions and materials.

Like links in a chain, once a single link breaks..the chain is useless.

I do have some sympathy for those youngsters going through so much hell these days. But when I see some smack pulling up next to me in their 80 grand SUV with a college parking tag hanging from the rear view mirror, blasting away with the street rap subwoofer and then read about high cost of education, I tend to begin to lean the other way to the scale of BS.

Cheers!!!!

link   

The government has been very successful at bending over the tax payer and screwing him/her.

link   
reply to post by nyk537

The quality has been going down steadily since the inception of the U.S. Dept. of Ed. with no signs of turning.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Well, let's see what the next administration brings to the table. I agree with you that that treasonous Bush/Cheney gang has raped and pillaged our country! But let's not lose hope.

What we have that was moderately successful?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Well then perhaps we can hope that government run education will be "moderately" successful to.

Or maybe we can try to come up with another solution that doesn't involve handing our childrens futures over the government.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It has already happened.

I would love to finsish school but I couldn't come up with the 900 bucks that they wanted for ONE class.

My state gets a D- for affordibility. I know someone who worked for the system, and a lot of it is wasted on Dean's giving their dumb mistresse's 75k jobs and buying all their families the latest and greatest computers every year.

There is a lot of wasteful spending that goes on. And we pay for it.

seems to be a theme lately......

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

reply to post by Finn1916

And that's the track record that says we want to give the government more control?

Hardly.

You let government start controlling education and you'll see the quality go down, and prices go up (probably through some new tax)

Which is exactly why there is a major drop in the quality level of the public school system. They want to control too much. They punish schools monetarily thus forcing the schools to lower their standards so more kids will pass with previously sub-standard levels.

It's a joke and all part of the whole plan. You see, the majority of the people in government come from well off families. Families that have ties with, well, to put it plainly, the power structure that wants to control the masses.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

I won't argue with you at all. That's why I'm so opposed to government controlling more of anything in this country, especially education!

The government is incapable of successfully managing anything, and I refuse to hand over my childrens education to them, regardless of the cost.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The highway system was a terrible idea that will never be cleared up. We spent money we didnt have to build something we didnt need and have never financially recovered from it. Now every state has to suffer the outrageous cost of upkeep on a piece of infrastructure that was forced upon them.

The highways to the fed are just like New Haven, CT and it's 3.5 million dollar heated bus stops. They cant afford them. Dont need them. Never should have bought them. The upkeep will bankrupt them (both that city and the fed ARE bankrupt anyway).

Expensive, frivolous ornation whose long-term cost of ownership were never considered in exchange for an ignorance is bliss 'look at the neat thing we got' attitude that in the short term causes tax increases and in the long term causes blight and bankruptcy and regional poverty.

The interstate system is like cancer in the lymph nodes.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I understand what you are trying to say. However, you are putting all college grads in the same boat. Not fair. Not far off but I didn't put myself in an apartment and party till the first light of day every night. I know that most of my friends avoided that as well.

Then it comes down to the 'training' before college. That brings me back to my last point. Who is in charge of our education before college? You see, they DON'T want us to be thrifty spenders. They WANT us to be credit happy consumers. They want us to get loans and depend on them.

The problem is, that the parents are now part of the crowd that didn't get that proper education so it's almost gone now. Kids aren't being taught to save or to think about their finances.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You do understand WHY the highway system was initially created right? It wasn't so people could get around much quicker. The reason TAX payer dollars are used is because they were created for military use. If any emergency big enough comes along the military can close all highway systems to the public. Period. They are NOT ours yet we pay for them.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

I guess if it was built with the intention of military use at our expense then it was indeed a success. I stand corrected.

Indeed, when it comes to stealing from the taxpayer government has no equal in efficiency or success.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Glad I'm eligible for complete financial aid. I love it that because I'm poor the government will pay the full tuition and then some.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join