It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy cow!! Look at this earthquake data!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
did you take into consideration the increase in population, worldwide communication, and networked earthquake reporting and monitoring?

the drastic increase in the line graph directly correlates with the increase in technology over the past 108 years.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I Have not any clue to what your chart indicates.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I agree that the frequency of quakes on this graph is probably more to do with development in technology.

I'd be confident in saying there will likely be a similar sudden growth when we look at statistics for information gathering, development of registering equipment, resources spent on monitoring and research, and even such basic things as global use of internet communication.

This graph has to be taken with a big leap of faith while considering all the other factors that make quake reporting and analysis more efficient in recent years.

That still doesn't cancel out the possibility that there has been a rise in number, there might have been. I just think this graph shows the bare bones of it without filtering for all eventualities affecting the resulting data.

And am I right in saying this was produced by people employed in this field? They are going to want to show evidence that keeps them in a job and gets them more funding, that's the way all these things go right?

if the ground is like floating on lava how come we dont get sea sick.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is similar to the observation that all of a sudden there are more and more tornadoes in the US and this is proof of "global warming" or something.
But in fact most if not all meteorologists say this is a result of more people living in areas that were sparsely populated. In other words, the tornadoes were always there, its just people weren't seeing as many because they weren't out there to see it!

I believe its the same situation here. More accurate instruments, more people, larger populations, better ways of recording the seismic jolts and making the measurements more precise all add up.

My two cents!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

I tried clicking on the quake in the northpole which happened in the last 2 weeks and it shows me an error sign.
iris

This is were I read about possible nuclear testing being done here. There was a total of 6 or 7 shakes. And mysteriously I can't find the article or thread that I read relating to this.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Hello,

I don't know what you call destructive but err ...the statistics i found are i think a little" bit different then that one graphic....?

Here is a link to for example from 1990 and onward...
neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Avatar evidence from NASA suggest this trend is inline with the slowdown of the core and subsequent heating of the crust - which to be honest doesn't suprise me one little bit.

Clearly, as Avatar suggest it's just fluctuation in the earths mag field due to exponential core slowdown. Nothing to worry about guys calm down.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I don't know about the earthquakes in th early 20c, but you can't deny that earthquakes have increased dramaticly in the past 18 years. Here's an example. Since 1990, the number of earthquakes have increased almost 80%! What possibly could it cause this?

www.infoplease.........

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
Here is a link to the data they used for the chart.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

That's not data. Data can be used for analysis.

That is a list of selected events. It can be used for reference.

Look at what it says at the top of the list:

"Selected earthquakes of general historic interest. "

The Horizon Project is trying to fool you.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think the chart will need an update:

Quake with magnitude of 6.1 hits northern Japan

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The OP chart represent measured quakes vs the number that actually may have happened.

What the OP chart shows me is the integration of worldwide reports as opposed to an increase in modern day quakes.

Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
The OP chart represent measured quakes vs the number that actually may have happened.

What the OP chart shows me is the integration of worldwide reports as opposed to an increase in modern day quakes.

Peace

The only problem that I see with that arguement is that as I posted on page one, the average amount of quakes was practically unchanged for 90+ years. Until the last decade where it has had tremendous increases.

Surely we were gathering fairly good intel just 10-15 years ago? Perhaps im wrong, but to attribute the whole increase to that seems inappropriate. Especially since it appears there has been no such trend this monstrous in the last 100 recorded years,

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Your graph is incorrect. Please re-graph the information. You may note, for example, the earthquakes between 1900 and 1905 that are over 7.0 that are not on the graph. When you complete your graph, you will find that earthquakes are, in fact, reducing in intensity overall, with a few minor exceptions like indonesia.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

The OP graph and the data it is derived from does not include all recorded earthquakes. There are far more earthquakes over 6.0 that are recorded each year. The data used is selective, based on some unknown criteria.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
After reviewing the USGS data this was taken from, it is apparent that the reported earthquakes over magnitude 6 has indeed increased greatly as communications technology, seismological instruments and information dissemination developed.

This may be a bit of a red-herring because of the above. We need to see how it correlates to the placement of measurement devices around the world. Has there been a large increase in ability to measure earthquakes in uninhabited or undeveloped areas going on at a similar rate to the increase?

Thank you.

I couldnt not have said it better myself.

I don't mind people who make links.. who research and come up with probabilities but it is the people who point to a chart and say

"SEE!!! OMG! We're all gonna DIE!"

or some other sensationalism, without taking into account any extenuating circumstances that really boil my water. It seems we are increasingly surrounded by people who do not think beyond anything but what is in front of them.

Many of them have a "deny ignorance" of somesort in their sig...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
could be anything to do with the fact that they are were trying to create that "god particle" by smashing atoms together? i can imagine that it would create quiet a rucuss. But also i do agree to the fact its just a part of a very big cycle that we have yet to be subdue to.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I don't know about the earthquakes in th early 20c, but you can't deny that earthquakes have increased dramaticly in the past 18 years. Here's an example. Since 1990, the number of earthquakes have increased almost 80%! What possibly could it cause this?

www.infoplease.........

I already consolidated all this here.

Heres a chart of world wide earthquakes between 1990-1999, and then 2000-2008.

The increase has been minimal, and it follows a normal variance. Theres nothing to indicate we are experiencing more earthquakes now than at anytime before.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Hello all
I thought that when i first read the original posting that he/she was reffering to the 100 or so earthquakes ave mag 2.4 depth 1.2miles in the area of Nevada , i just pray that someone else had also witnessed these postings through google earth over the past week because they are not registered there now . I am not reffering tothe usga 90 days and beyond but the live updated within 5 mins to 1 week . somebody please save my sanity !!!! and let me know if any body else witnessed this as i can find no related articles else where to back it up

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
35*58`25.00"N 117*19`09.19"W

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join