It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy cow!! Look at this earthquake data!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
6.0+ are rather large quakes. You wouldn't need very much to detect these, and they wouldn't go unnoticed.

In bay area cali, we had a 5.6 last year, and it was the largest quake since the world series quake. That means we have not had a quake that was above 6.0 in almost 20 years. And this in an area known for big quakes.

www.nytimes.com...

I'm not sure more advanced instruments and recording explains this. These things were surely known even back in the 90's when a quake of that size hit somewhere.

Statistics are notorious for not telling the entire truth, but I'm not sure if I'm buying the increase of information excuses. I know those things happen in other areas.

It is interesting to me for other reasons, and I take specific note that it all happens after 2001. But that might just be me being crazy, hope more info surfaces on this.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Whoo! Nice find. I don't even really know how to comment on this except the proof is in black and white.

No denying these facts.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Awesome find!!!

It shows very real activity right now in a dramatic fashion!

People should call their insurance companies and make sure they are insured for earthquakes - it is not automatic!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
this is an interesting subject,
i think although the poles are melting faster & faster, we as humans are not yet seeing dramatic changes in see levels, but we are seeing small changes in see levels, a few millimeters of water added to the pacific & atlantic, & we are talking in massive amounts of extra wait in water, add this extra wait in water to a slow balanced movement of tecktonic plates & i think the likleyhood of much more regular & severe earth quakes is going to continue being more likley. the more movement of mass wait arount the planet the more this effect will increas, this effect will also have an effect on salt levels in the see in the future, this will be connected to massive storms.
what a bright future

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Mark 13:5-8

5 Jesus said to them: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 6 Many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and will deceive many. 7 When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 8 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-3

1Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
When I saw that my first thought was Telsa.

When Telsa lived in New York he was doing his work and caused shaking like an earthquake..... when he passed on his work was taken by our government and it wouldn't surprise me if they have developed this technology and are able to create these types of situations.

NASA has satillites that are able to map fault areas and they are finding there are thousands of Volcano's underwater they did not know of and that fault lines are more extensive then they knew.

Of course they are not sharing this with the people because they can use this to there greedy benefits.

Shame Telsa wanted his work to benefit the people and be for the good but our government saw the benefits of the destruction it could cause and will in time use it for evil deeds no doubt.

Good find of that chart and I do think something man made is in the works.
Actually a hugh destructive quake with much life lost would be just the right thing for Georgie to execute his Executive Order and stay as Leader
not

As with everything time will tell, just putting forth a thought and sharing which I shouldn't do.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

I don't know if any of you have seen this but, here it is...........
www.thehorizonproject.com...
This is amazing.
It is a chart of destructive earthquakes over the last 100 years.

Interesting, but you have to consider that areas not populated 100 years ago are now populated plus the fact that earthquake measure methodology and instruments have improved and spread vastly over the globe recent years i.e the data is more and also more accurate.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by reugen]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
From an Elliott Wave (wave principle of technical data analysis) it looks like we are ending a Wave 4 and about to enter a Wave 5 of a 5 wave Impulse Move. Wave 5s are often extensions (meaning that they can dwart the previous waves)....Impulse waves = 5 up or down w the dominant trend and Corrective waves = 3 counter trend.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't know if this was pointed out before, but wouldn't the increase of technology account for the large spikes in the late 1990-2006

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Interesting data. While I think much has to be attributed to better tech I suspect it doesn't account for all of it. All the warnings and talk about New Madrid have grabbed my attention.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Makes you wonder why earthquakes around unpopulated areas are not recorded.... if an earthquake happens in the middle of the woods and nobody is there to record it... does it show up in those records

-rrr

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The graph in the OP is not showing the number of quakes, only something called "Historic Worldwide Earthquakes". If you check the data source for the graph you can see that it includes earthquakes well below magnitude 6. Since we don't know the the criteria that the USGS used in gathering that list, it may be a bit presumptuous for the Horizon Project to call them "Deadly & Destructive"

Here are statistics on actual earthquakes (and deaths). You can see that since 1990 earthquake frequency has not changed much.
neic.usgs.gov...
neic.usgs.gov...

Also there is this to consider:

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 12/3/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
After reviewing the USGS data this was taken from, it is apparent that the reported earthquakes over magnitude 6 has indeed increased greatly as communications technology, seismological instruments and information dissemination developed.

This may be a bit of a red-herring because of the above. We need to see how it correlates to the placement of measurement devices around the world. Has there been a large increase in ability to measure earthquakes in uninhabited or undeveloped areas going on at a similar rate to the increase?

The chart is simply a graph of reported quakes over 6 in magnitude. For that reason you would have to know many other details to even know if it is a true increase. Considering it is being used as a tool to sell a product and as an advertising vehicle on C2C, well you get the picture.

The person who put the information together should have pointed that out in the interest of intellectual honesty and not allowed it to be presented without all available information pertinent to the claim. After all their income relies some what on using fear to sell.

i agree...there has been an increase in quantity of measuring equipment placed around the globe. what you need is to evaluate the same areas of previously placed instrumentation for the last 30 or even 20 years and use only those in a relationship type of graph.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I searched around, but could find no charts that date before 1900.

I'd like to see the statistical data from before the industrialization of the world. I'm of the opinion that everything has a purpose. And in so stating, am of the opinion that sucking the earth dry of it's natural resources (i.e.: OIL or COAL) can't be a good thing. And, don't forget about all the underground nuclear tests that nations of this world conduct - which are many more than you hear about. North Korea was the last that made acclaimed news.

If the charts remains fairly constant, with a few exceptions here and there, with that of the past half century, I'd say maybe we are the architects of our own destruction.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just speculating here, but, wouldn't also be fair to say that the spike could be part of a natural cycle? As the plates move and build up pressure I would think you would see a lot of small activity up until the point when the pressure was excessive, just before the plate moves which causes the earthquake.

my 2 cents. I know nothing about this topic.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Ha ha. You have to be kidding me. A one decade sample size is hardly sufficient. And as for twenty years ago it is safe to assume that communications technology and information dissemination was substantially less effective, seeing as the Internet was very limited in its use.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Oh my. I suppose all I can say, is Jesus must be coming

That's the first thought that crossed my mind.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

I don't know if any of you have seen this but, here it is...........

www.thehorizonproject.com...

This is amazing.

It is a chart of destructive earthquakes over the last 100 years.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Gemwolf]

I wonder if it is the ring of fire "waking up" so to speak to an
active period.

If so then we might also see an increase in volcanic activity.

That or some force in space putting extra gravimetric shear
on the planet ???

I looked at the locations of the quakes and most are pretty close
to the ring of fire.

The Ring of Fire

Hopefully nothing will trigger the one in the Canary Islands that
will set off the Mega-Tsunami that will wipe out the east coast.

Island of La Palma - Canary Islands - Cumbre Vieja

Based on the debris on the ocean floor this has happened many
times before.

I hope it gives some warning before it blows, supposedly heading inland
for about 20 miles will save ppl.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Oh my. I suppose all I can say, is Jesus must be coming

Yep, all the way from Mexico.

So who has an opinion that any recent earthquake might have been started via artificial means? just a question. i'm on the fence with that one, but believe it's very possible to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join