It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infinity is indeed infinite.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKARonco
reply to post by stander

i have to disagree on that, because the line that would bend more, would be the one closer to the pull, therefor the lines would slowly drift apart, not crossing, but not parallel anymore either.

That's true for the case where the distance between the lines is smaller than the smallest planet or a white dwarf that the beams encounter in their travel through the universe. If it happens that a white dwarf gets between both beams, than the beams will cross. Otherwise, they leave our universe not parallel and never cross.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have a question regarding this subject:

The image is from a game called Portals. An entrance to a portal leads directly to the exit of another portal. If the portals are places right across each other, then the player can follow himself forever.

What if the universe was bent in a way that allowed us to return to the place of departure after traveling for some time in what we think is a straight line. Since this should be true for someone departing from any point in the universe to any desired direction, there are no 'exits' or 'entrances'(they happen everywhere), so, would the universe be considered 'infinite'?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
3,6 and 9 are all the same number........ they all imply infinity.
they are the physical result of natural sympathetic harmonics
on a quantum level.

yin/yang
positive/negative
matter/antimatter

Its a duality.... ...yes............ but it does not stop there..
there is still the physical result left.......... The universe/consciousness.
and this universe/consciousness as we understand it, is INFINITE.
and in math we know this infinite number is in fact 3.

this is because of Natural Harmonics .

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by daniel_g
I have a question regarding this subject:

The image is from a game called Portals. An entrance to a portal leads directly to the exit of another portal. If the portals are places right across each other, then the player can follow himself forever.

What if the universe was bent in a way that allowed us to return to the place of departure after traveling for some time in what we think is a straight line. Since this should be true for someone departing from any point in the universe to any desired direction, there are no 'exits' or 'entrances'(they happen everywhere), so, would the universe be considered 'infinite'?

Well, what's beyond your portal?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day

The same portal I guess

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

The same portal I guess

A infinitely large portal? wouldnt that simply leave a disk in a infinitely large space?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

A infinitely large portal? wouldnt that simply leave a disk in a infinitely large space?

Well, if you are talking about the game, no(in the game it's not really infinity because you can measure the distance between entrance and exit. ie. there is something on the other side of the portal)

If you are talking about my question about the bent universe, then that's what I'm thinking: A torus shape path of 'portals'(is that what you meant by 'disk'?). But the problem is that in the universe we can move in any direction we want from any point we chose from, therefore there should be an infinite number of those paths, and since they can happen anywhere, it would be an infinite universe, right?

[edit on 6-12-2008 by daniel_g]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Well, if you are talking about the game, no(in the game it's not really infinity because you can measure the distance between entrance and exit. ie. there is something on the other side of the portal)

If you are talking about my question about the bent universe, then that's what I'm thinking: A torus shape path of 'portals'(is that what you meant by 'disk'?). But the problem is that in the universe we can move in any direction we want from any point we chose from, therefore there should be an infinite number of those paths, and since they can happen anywhere, it would be an infinite universe, right?

[edit on 6-12-2008 by daniel_g]

Bleh, I've never played the game before.

But anyways, the universe isn't infinite because scientists have already "measured" its size, it's the "space" that the universe is in is infinite.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

But anyways, the universe isn't infinite because scientists have already "measured" its size, it's the "space" that the universe is in is infinite.

Scientists have not measured the size of the universe, the only size they have is the one they can observe.

Quote from wikipedia:

No evidence exists to suggest that the boundary of the observable universe corresponds precisely to the physical boundary of the universe (if such a boundary exists);
It is also possible that the universe is smaller than the observable universe. In this case, what we take to be very distant galaxies may actually be duplicate images of nearby galaxies, formed by light that has circumnavigated the universe.

That second point is where I was trying to get. The universe would have a finite volume, but nothing outside it because it would keep repeating forever. So my question still remains, would that make the universe infinite?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Matter is a finite quantity within an infinite span of space.

Space isn't expanding, the Universe is expanding within Space.

You're confusion is simply because you confused the material universe with the infinite space around it.

Easy mistake to make, the English language can be restrictive at times.

Thanks for that explanation. So now I have another question. What is in between the edge of the universe and space? Is there nothing? Thanks in advance.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Space isn't expanding, the Universe is expanding within Space.

You're confusion is simply because you confused the material universe with the infinite space around it.

No, space is expanding, matter does not stick to it so it does not inflate at the same rate. Talking about an infinite space around the universe is useless, because we have no access to it.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by redled
It's just a concept. There is no way we will ever experience it, but we can model it to give us useful finite results. Imaginary numbers are similar, totally unimaginable, but useful none the less. The mathematicians secret: Look at what they can do for you, don't blind yourself with what it is. Biblical Religion is the reversal of that: Blind yourself and don't look at what you can do.

Just wanted to add 2 cents to this as i was like you "but still am" Bothered by Odd numbers .. I see no reason why we have them or how they came about sure you can have three guys and count them as such, but this is not what im thinking. The Odd number issue for me is what it represents IN maths
.. Infinite is like an odd number / fractal its just keeps going but then the reson behind the oddness "from what i can assume not prove "yet". Is the reaction of us being here thus giving rise to the odd number and the universe calculated the even parts and we yes we are here as the ODD number much like quatom physics but on a bigger scale.

Hope that helps or maybe it didnt but thats my idea on infinity or it relates to odd numbers ect.

S+F

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

Same thing you said about my theory of how we get or have odd numbers and it they are both the same thing..

But as i stated befor the reson for everything is the most important part of the calculation we do not still have

Who/what caluclated US and can we work out the equation that got us here "in maths" what is the problibilty of being in "infinity"? hehe

If Maths is the key to understanding the universe / infinity then the universe came up with maths for a reason "us"

we are the only Beings that use maths "that we know of" so each action has a reaction so to speak..

The Universe made us and we made maths the only problem there is we dont understand what the universe "is" and it sure aint maths.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join