It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Alert System* Tell what weird possible Earthquake Animal, Sky or Water behavior is happening -

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OllyOllyOxen

actually, these small quakes have been going on for at least a month. Today's is not an isolated incident, it just happens to be the only one showing on the map right now.

I have noticed a roaring hum in my ears the last week. It sounds like a small aircraft will when it flies over really low. I live in south AR, supposedly far enough away from NewMadrid that the damage will just be minor. But there is a small fault locally that quakes from time to time with minor quakes.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
We live in Maumelle, AR. We have been amused and a little nervous about the recent small quakes, theay are unsual in that they are becoming so frequent. On on wed nesday about 30 miles from here, last week 20 miles away. Anyway half a dozen or more in the past few weeks, very strange for so close. Plus a couple near Dallas and one in OKC. As for animals, just within the past week or so, our cat refuses to go out the back door and will only go out the front. She has also begun killing and bringing in birds. This normally only happens when we run out of her food. It is common for her to kill, but it has been more frequent. The dog now whines and whimpers at the front windows and back doors. This usually only happens when someone is near the house, but lately it has been almost constant. We have started getting mad at her, but haven't connected any of the seismic activity with it. Just telling you our situation. We are nervous, but not sure we fully buy into the whole web bot theory. It is however strange. My grandfather, a native of this area for 87 years has said he has never heard of any quakes like this so close together near here, but that may be due to the lack of Seismic measurments prior to recent times. Also Gov. Bebee, just ordered new seismic equipment to be deployed in the state, JUST TODAY. That in combination with the recent New Madrid Risk assesment. Just all very strange. Paranoia??? Maybe. I guess we will see huh???

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by themamayada

And - see that patch of low water levels that starts in PA and goes down through VA, etc. - that's the Appalachian area... and... there's an old old old fault line there as well that's been awfully quiet. A zillion years ago, an earthquake and/or tectonic movements "allegedly" formed the Appalachian mountain ranges. So - we have quite a lot of hot spots to watch over based upon these maps.

Hi from the Appalachian mountains in VA. I wouldnt exactly say that our fault is completely quiet. We did have an earthquake about two years ago and it was a 4.2. I've since been told that we get one around here about every ten to fifteen years. Not that I'm saying that there's a regular predictable frequency of course.
All I can say is that EQ freaked me right the heck out. All this talk about the possible Madrid EQ brings it all right back.
Yes I know 4.2 isn't much compared to say an 8.2 but still freaked me out.
The mountains/ground arnt supposed to move!

As far as animals go around here: everything seems normal AFAIK.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by FunSized]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I've been in contact with friends and family back in SEMO and they report nothing out of the ordinary. I'll continue checking in, just to see what I find.

Interesting to hear about all the little quakes going on as of late. Unfortunate that they haven't been reported, but I'm guessing, considering their size, it isn't any cause for concern. Interesting, nevertheless.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i would suggest to only post about animal behaviour when it is clearly distinct...
or when you notice sth definitely different. its an alert thread... i suppose not all our observations are related sice most of rhe time we didn t bother as to see a difference now (i mean things like normal bird flok trends etc)

anyway the dogs over in Crete deffinitelly havent any behavioural change signs

GREETINGS TO ALL

GIO

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, So Cal just had a minor shaker, with preiminary reports of 5.5, centered 35 miles east of Barstow. This is an area that is not typical of the San Andreas fault, and, as we all know, can certainly be a precurser to a larger event. As I said in my earlier post, the ceiling joists have been making loud cracking noises for weeks. They were very active today!
Hang on, So Cal!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

04:18:42 AM UTC Southern California ( 34.81N, 116.42W ) 5.5 4 miles

This is the earthquake the above poster is referring to.

*edit to add link
www.myforecast.com...

[edit on 5-12-2008 by seeker11]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stone7959
Well, So Cal just had a minor shaker, with preiminary reports of 5.5, centered 35 miles east of Barstow. This is an area that is not typical of the San Andreas fault, and, as we all know, can certainly be a precurser to a larger event. As I said in my earlier post, the ceiling joists have been making loud cracking noises for weeks. They were very active today!
Hang on, So Cal!!

Here's the latest 'quake info for area referenced by stone7959. Do all the 1.0-2.0 Mag shakes count as aftershocks of the 5.5 quake? All in same region, all continuous... Is that normal post-quake or normal precursor to more major event?

Hope all's well for stone7959, and would like to point out that while I can't recall his posting re: animal/weather oddities, he did mention that his house was creaking/groaning more than usual in a post from a couple days ago (and even more today).

I know this thread focuses on animal/weather patterns as 'quake precursors, but maybe those who have noticed extraordinary noises emanating from their homes should mention something as well? What does the OP think? (Maybe we could limit it to older homes? e.g., built pre-'quake codes, wood more likely to "act up" as opposed to new homes where there's just pre-build settling? I'm not a construction expert [or scientist - seriously, I feel I have no useful skills], so not certain if both old and new homes would "react" to subtle ground shifts in the same manner.)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I've seen 2 reports on other forums I frequent about flowers blooming out of season in the south San Francisco Bay Area/Santa Cruz Mountains region. Could be nothing as we are having a mild winter but that has been listed in an earlier post as a possible sign.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
In September 1997 we were visiting Italy. Four days before the earthquake that destroyed the Assisi Basilica we were on the spot. When we went to the crypt, my daughter suddenly said she was getting out because she didn’t feel well. I followed her a little worried, as it seemed a claustrophobic attack which she had never experienced before (and has never had from that day).

From Assisi we went to Rome and there was a visit programmed to one of the Catacombs. Remembering the Asisi incident, I suggested not to make the visit, but she insisted and we finally went down. We felt perfectly at ease down there.

When coming back home from Rome we connected the TV and heard that a terrible earthquake had destroyed the Giotto frescoes we had admired in Assisi Basilica. I have always thought that she (who is very sensitive) had some kind of pre-cognition of the earthquake.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bulgari20

Originally posted by stone7959

Hope all's well for stone7959, and would like to point out that while I can't recall his posting re: animal/weather oddities, he did mention that his house was creaking/groaning more than usual in a post from a couple days ago (and even more today).

I know this thread focuses on animal/weather patterns as 'quake precursors, but maybe those who have noticed extraordinary noises emanating from their homes should mention something as well? What does the OP think? (Maybe we could limit it to older homes? e.g., built pre-'quake codes, wood more likely to "act up" as opposed to new homes where there's just pre-build settling? I'm not a construction expert [or scientist - seriously, I feel I have no useful skills], so not certain if both old and new homes would "react" to subtle ground shifts in the same manner.)

Yes, the thread is about "anything" unusual that could be a sign and precursors to a quake.

Though I have to say - regarding creaking of a home. My house is 40 years old - it creaks, and pops and stuff all the time, so that is not a reliable source for me personally.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by themamayada

The map is great of water levels, but the one thing regarding the Smokey and Appalacian Mountains, is for a couple of years now, we have been in a drought situation with below normal rain, and last year we were one of those places with "extreme" drought and have never caught up and still below normal this year.

For two years, going up into the Smokey's ( my daughter) and I like to camp up there a lot. Anyway - the creeks have been way below normal during the last 2 years - in fact where there used to be 6 feet of water - has been about 6 inches. So that is not a "red flag" for me in that area.

But, it is the New Madrid area, looking at the water levels "real time" ones, there have been recent dramatic changes. I have tried to figure those out, as I said in earlier post - to see in the history of them, if it is "normal" for such drastic changes overnight - when rain falls.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by questioningall]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Great thread. I give you a S & F. If something does happens I hope you can use this thread to at least get someone to take animal behavior seriously.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I would like to respond to the post about animal behavior etc before quakes.
I know of many such reports and events and this is as you said, nothing new.
I have been making earthquake predictions since 1979 based on physical, animal and earth related phenomena. The best source of information out there if you can find the book out of print, is " The Day The Snakes Awake " by Helmut Tributsch. It is a fascinating collection of all kinds of events and what happened before them.
As for the Arkansas area, I would recommend watching for major ant invasions, especially watch for the ants to leave carrying their egg sacks or even their larva away from an area. Back in 90-91 I was making my predictions to the Mayor of Oseola AR and there were numerous reports of ants building large ant hills in the middle of yards to get away from the quakes in that part of the New Madrid Fault System. Intense low back pains and " seismic flu " are also very much part of the symptoms for that area. The wells going artesian and or dropping suddenly happened before the Loma Prieta quake and the water can also be salty or clay colored. These are mostly always related to event that are geo thermal in nature.
Earthquake Clouds are another way I have learned to forecast coming quakes and or volcanic events.
You can contact me and or sign up for my eathquake alerts ( no charge )
at [email protected]

www.viser.net/~charking/

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Hmm i just thought I would check your theory and I don't know if this is normal but on the craigslist in Maine, 50 animals, mostly cats and some dogs , are reported missing??? again not sure if that is normal!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cairowoman

uhh I failed, but then again I have never been in an earthquake before, and i would probably kill myself, eek!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Very interesting post and it is something that is both close to my heart and something I have studies for many years. It is widely know that animals detect things long before we do such as bad weather or impending systemic movements, the earth quake theory could stem from the very small pre-tremors associated with the larger quakes. I have worked with Reptiles and amphibians for many years and it in know that lizards, iguanas and snakes can be more readily seen out in the open prior to a quake, the phenomenon had been observed in Turkey prior to their 3 last larger quakes, and remarkably very few animals, reptiles and amphibians were killed in the fateful tasumi that hit Indonesia killing so many humans as they had long vacated to higher ground.
Here I Cyprus we regularly get small earth quakes and have been working in the reptile park and noticed that all the reptiles behaved strangely some hours before we had such a quake, this I believe is a built in self preservation that they know that if they are under a loose rock when the ground shakes then they are likely to end up as ant food this is something that has been observed over and over again and is strictly not a one off phenomena.
When you consider that these reptiles are very sensitive to vibrations maybe this is something that could be used in an early warning system, this brings to mind the ancient marina saying that if the rats are leaving your ship then you should follow.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I have noticed, not many people from Southern California has posted much on this thread.

I would LOVE to hear from people in California, who have more experience than anyone else around the U.S. in being in EQ's.

What kind of animal reactions do you see preceding the EQ's. Have you noticed days or weeks ahead of a big one (like the 5.4 last night) of animals acting oddly? Though I would say it would be hard for you to tell probably since you have EQ's all the time.

But I think the people on the thread, would like to hear your stories of animals, skies, etc, preceding EQ's.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Japan just had a 6.1 earthquake on Thursday.

TOA - Japan 6.1 earthquake

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

I have noticed, not many people from Southern California has posted much on this thread.

I would LOVE to hear from people in California, who have more experience than anyone else around the U.S. in being in EQ's.

What kind of animal reactions do you see preceding the EQ's. Have you noticed days or weeks ahead of a big one (like the 5.4 last night) of animals acting oddly? Though I would say it would be hard for you to tell probably since you have EQ's all the time.

But I think the people on the thread, would like to hear your stories of animals, skies, etc, preceding EQ's.

ok...i live about 80 miles east of san francisco and a mag 5 earthquake is no big thing. but this does depend on how close to the surface the quake is. the closer to the surface, the less magnitude it takes for damage. i have been in rolling (up and down) and swaying (side to side) quakes. the one thing i have personally noticed is that the few times i have been outside during a quake, there are no sounds from birds, but as far as precursors...no i haven't really noticed any difference, but i'm not around alot of animals in my neighborhood.
the big loma-preita quake back in the 90's that stopped the world series in S.F., here 80 miles away, the lamp pole across the street from me was swaying back and forth a good 5 to 6 feet and continued for at least a full minute. that quake caused cracks in the walls of my house, small ones though and easy to fix. but that one was un-nerving to say the least.

the one good thing about living here..we may have earthquakes from time to time, but, it sures beat having to deal with tornados, flash floods, massive thunderstorms, and hurricanes that are back east year to year.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by jimmyx]

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join