It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti religion display in WA capitol building

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Link

I just fail to see why either Christians or atheists should be allowed to tout there beliefs in a public building. This kind of thing belongs somewhere else. The man who put up the display openly states it is an attack on religion. If I wanted to put up a sign bashing Islam would I be allowed to do that in a public building?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
As long as they are putting up religious displays on public property then I see no problem with it.

And with the way this country is, I'm sure it'd be easier to get an anti-Islam sign up in a public building than it would be to get an atheist sign.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by davion]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

Agreed. I just don't think either should be allowed in a government building. I do have more of a problem with something that is described by it's creator as being anti religion though. I don't really care if there is a Christmas tree or star of David, but an overt attack on religion should not be allowed. If this were an attack on a specific religion, it would never stand. Just because it attacks all religions, does not make it better in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
I don't really care if there is a Christmas tree or star of David, but an overt attack on religion should not be allowed.

If expressing atheist thought is an "attack on religion", by the same token, couldn't we say that a Christmas Tree or a Star of David as an "attack on atheism"? I don't see either one as an attack. They are all expressions. If everyone is represented, I don't see a problem.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The man behind the display has said it is an attack on religion. Put up all the signs you want, just not in the capitol building. The capital building should remain neutral.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Atheist Sign Stolen

And it was returned and reposted with a "Thou Shalt Not Steal" addition!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Too funny, that little quip made my morning!

top topics

join