It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have to lay off all my employees

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

As an outsider and business owner I would say if he was able to run the operation by himself as he plans, his original operation employing 7 people was not efficient to begin with. That is "if" he can manage it with any less than 7, he should have.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm sure it looks drastic, but I'm also sure that he's tried everything else possible. And maybe put plenty of his own cash in to keep it going, hoping it would right itself. I dunno...it's all hypothetical really. It's just sore for me...been there, done that, it stinks. Wouldn't wish that on anyone either.

Cait

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If you are going to do all the jobs yourself, you will not be able to maintain the business, let alone grow it to come back at least even. I say reassess the positions and keep a couple of employees who have proven their value to you. You may have a fighting chance that way. I worked with franchise owners for a long time, and the biggest mistake they would make was cutting their entire staff and trying to do everything themself... the business will suffer.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I guess Im just chopped liver here huh? Get out of the conversation I guess? The links I gave were pretty inline with the Op, much more than smoothing things over with Sky.

Whatever.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

my heart goes out to you and your employees. This is a downturn which none of us saw coming and seems like you have struggled through so far. So congratulations on sticking it out so long.

Good luck with the change in the business strategy, i am sure you have not taken the decision lightly so don't beat yourself up about it. I personally believe that everything happens for a reason and the universe provides.

From what i know of the car wash business, the people you probably employed were the ones who needed a step up to begin with and had little in the way of qualifications and stable experience. You have done a great service by giving them the opportunity to gain experience and from what i can gather your the sort of person who would give them a great reference for future employment - this is giving them so much more than a lay off with nothing to show for their hard work.

Good luck and keep positive!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Things suck. I am a fee only financial advisor that gets paid based on value of assets under management. Between the market falling and folks needing to take money to survive, my income is on pace to be down over 50% unless the market pulls an incredible rally before Dec 31. We wont lose money as the cash cost to run our our business is minimal, but covering the monthly bills gets harder all the time.

I am one guy who is sorry that he didn't heed many of the warnings that were around this site back when this market decline started. Of course cash and treasuries have been the only safe havens and we have had some in cash. I still believe though that the tommorows will be better than yesterdays and continue to invest the majority of our funds under management in equities.

Like someone said today on CNBC, if the markets continue to lose 20% per month for the next 5 or 6 months, then no one will care about which stocks they own, but instead will care about what guns they own.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I seen it coming since the primaries. I paid attention to what a very wise man named Ron Paul. The man sounded like a kook to most people but when You actually researched what He said He nailed it on the head. He said We were headed for a DEPRESSION and the talking heads are still talking about recession. I have started working like mad and buying as much food, guns, & ammo I could get. So saying no one knew is not the truth You just had to pay attention. If You learn about our money system You will realize the dollar is based on debt and every 70 years it collapses due to the consumer having to much debt. The industry I am in is still rocking along and I have been on a barge for 2 months straight without even seeing my home. I do not like working like this but under the circumstances I have too to keep my family afloat. I just told my old lady the other day if she kept up with her spending habits she will be a single mother. You might say thats rough but I don't think it is because she works her piddly 40 hour a week job while I have to be the one sacrificing my family life for her stupidity. Oh I do not believe this is going to get better btw ... The banks are not giving out credit so be smart and stock up on food because without credit farmers don't plant ..... So don't be a sheep prepare for the worst case scenario because the government is not going to fix the problem the only thing they are going to do is make it worse like they always do.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
to the OP,
very sorry to hear this as well. i've often wanted to hire employees, but have not done so just in fear of tangling with someone's life / livelihood when times get slow.

also jam said it best. it speaks volumes on your behalf that you care enough to even post about it. most business owners could use a lesson in compassion.

here's to hoping the economy will turn around sooner than later. good luck with your ventures.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

This was exactly what I was going to suggest.

Not to be rude, but Focus on restructuring your business... Not firing all of your employees.

Maybe you need to close two locations, and bring all 7 employees to one location... You'll have a higher turnaround speed per vehicle, which people will notice. If worst comes to worst cut 1 employee (of course starting with the worst Vs. Longest employeed) until it evens out.

You will never make it running your car wash and trying to work two other jobs without the help, and multiple locations.

Take a deep breath, calm down, and focus on solving the problem. The solution you've stated as your only option is a FINAL option only...

Just my $.02.

Coven

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Ok, fully automatic, people put in money it washes their car.

You still have to do a lot of work to keep the equipment running. You have to keep it stocked with chemicals, and keep it cleaned and functioning properly. It takes 7 people that work part time, because they are all busy students and are not always able to help.

When stupid people screw up and wreck their cars into the equipment, you have to fix it. Sometimes this happens at more than one location at a time. When you have 2 or 3 people to respond to these problems it makes things run more smoothly. So now if something breaks I get to respond leaving the other 2 locations. If something breaks and I'm on the other end of town it takes time.

So with less help my business will suffer because of decreased response time.

It is unfortunate, but costs must be cut, or the bank owns me. I wish it was a flash in the pan couple of down weeks, but the reserve cash is gone, and I can't afford employees anymore.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

I wish it was that way. I can effectively run the business, that's how I started. Having employees is a luxury. I got weekends off. Now I have to make sacrifices to survive this crappy economy. If I keep my people, I will go bankrupt.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadarida

I can maintain it fine. My hair will probably fall out much faster this way though.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jkm1864

I voted for Ron Paul.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

Yep I hope things get better soon. I am afraid that they will not. We have a couple more years of doom before the light at the end of the tunnel can even be seen.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Yeah it sucks. This is the last thing to cut costs I can do.

Thanks for the kind words.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
reply to post by coven

I wish it was that way. I can effectively run the business, that's how I started. Having employees is a luxury. I got weekends off. Now I have to make sacrifices to survive this crappy economy. If I keep my people, I will go bankrupt.

Then keep one good employee and work alternate days. He would get say Monday and Tuesday off and maintains it throughout the weekend while you are at home.

If you can operate all of them by yourself then having 7 employees was a HUGE luxury. I mean, you wouldn't hire 7 people to dig a hole would you?

You seem to like having your free time, hey who doesn't, but you are a buisness owner. Most owners, no matter how many employees, do not get days off.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
reply to post by caitlinfae

Yeah it sucks. This is the last thing to cut costs I can do.

Thanks for the kind words.

No it isn't.

You can close 1 or 2 of your carwashes.

You can cut back on most of your employees.

You can choose which buisness you want to have and concentrate on one and not 3 or 4 differant ones.

or

Fire them all and blame the economy while you work 3 carwashes and also work 3 other buisnesses.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
The effects of trickle down economics are amazing. It's too bad some in government want to punish success with higher taxes to help the poor. How does it help the poor if the successful have to lay off people to make up the difference?

if higher taxes makes an employer lay off people, then the employer is a lousy businessman, and not a successful businessman. i had a small business and taxes were not the reason i could not garner more sales and thus more profits. and if i have to tell you why, then you shouldn't be going into business in the first place.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
"How do you expect to run an entire car-wash alone, especially if you have other jobs as well?"

"Do you seriously think customers will drop by 80%? I think a 10% drop is more realistic."

"I don't get it. You are 100% absolutely correct.....You don't get it."

those fortunate enough to avert this reality can never really get it. for what it's worth, you are far from alone.

in the collision repair industry you need about an 80%-20% insurance claim/customer pay flow of work. unfortunately, this puts you at the mercy of insurance companies who illegally steer customers away from you and their reluctance to pay fair wages and material costs. reputable shops use quality paint materials, skilled technicians and expensive equipment technologies that are necessary for returning the modern automobile to it's pre-damaged state. these are crucial factors in an ever evolving automobile design technology that generate high costs that big insurance cos. will not reimburse. combine that with years of suppressed labor rates, chinese parts, skyrocketing criminal utility costs, advanced technologies, constant and expensive certification testing, unethical relations with estimating software cos. studying repair hour data for estimating software, outright blackballing of repair shops that wont compromise their customers safety and investment and now the economy.

long fought battles between the tiny non union auto repair industry vs insurance giants that bribe judges and lobby washington are impossible to win. now it's becoming hopeless with steering abuses and collusion. they are very close to being allowed to own the repair shop they are paying to repair the claims. this is happening, with little to no success, in michigan by Allstate Ins. and their ownership interests in Sterling Auto Body. Allstate is literally steering all of their claims to this incapable repair franchise that cannot do the work that is literally piling up causing their customers to pursue capable coverage elsewhere. right now all insurance cos. operate their "preferred repair facility programs" which are the lowest quality and competency shops they can find to dictate their demands to. these shops are given most all of the work. they do this by threatening/scaring/steering their customers with high priced lawyer verbiage that violates the laws that represent the only few victories we have ever won over them.

sorry for hi-jacking your thread. really just wanted to say that losing 80% of your business can happen easily and from anywhere! happened to me last year from corporate greed. i too have been a 1 man show, but have to come to terms with my loss.

i'm in the early stages of shutting down my collision/custom paint shop in Detroit after 21 years. unfortunately, it also so happens that i was unable to obviate this predicament with my home of 20 yrs as well. my home foreclosure was not due to sub-prime lending, which i abhor more than i pity these dimwits. mine was more of a swindle. while i did fall behind, i never imagined my lender would repudiate it like they did. i wont get into it now, but i will say it was fraud.

cash flow challenges in small business can be devastating in a short amount of time. i had not a single unhappy customer, lawsuit, nor a negative BBB complaint in 21yrs. in a very competitive business. just lots of happy customers and built tons of cool hot rods. voted #2 auto repair & #1 custom paint shop in metro Detroit in a consumer vote for the best channel 4 news "Click on Detroit" best business contest in 2007. known for being up front and honest to clients and more than fair and generous to staff.

i'm still proud of all of it and wont regret. but i just cant help the sickening feeling in my gut. corporate greed has devastated my life and taken everything i've accomplished. i was forced off the road. i feel shame. this is destroying the life on earth that should be happening right now and must be stopped at all costs. seriously!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I must say I feel for the guy. But I also am somewhat puzzled as to how 1 person can run 3 carwash buisnesses at 3 different locations with no employees at any of them to tend to the cars being washed.

Plus delivering stuff, side jobs etc etc.

The only way that would be possible is to either have relatives who work for you for free at the other two carwash locatoins, or you cycle the operating hours of all 3 so you can be at each one of them at different times of each day they are open.

Then after all that, have the energy to do the delivery stuff, odd jobs etc etc.

Times are rough yes, but if operating these buisnesses is turning into that much of a hasstle, then perhaps it would be best to sell off at least 2 of those car wash locations, or all 3, and/or find some other line of buisness that is in a higher demand.

Car wash buisnesses are seasonal. no one rushes out to wash their car in the middle of sub zero winter.

However, maybe if you get alot of winter weather where you live, you might consider buying a plow truck and clearing streets and contracting to people to clear their driveways. Very lucarative business during the winter months and plenty of it here where I live..one of the things I do during the winter months. And I have a small ATV with a plow attachment to clear sidewalks and walkways for people's homes too.

Then during the summer months, perhaps that car wash would do well.

Point here is to diversify, close down those car washes during off season months. Do what fits the seasonal trend in your area. It might help.

Cheers!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join