It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 5 Young Adults Has Personality Disorder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

CHICAGO – Almost one in five young American adults has a personality disorder that interferes with everyday life, and even more abuse alcohol or drugs, researchers reported Monday in the most extensive study of its kind. The disorders include problems such as obsessive or compulsive tendencies and anti-social behavior that can sometimes lead to violence. The study also found that fewer than 25 percent of college-aged Americans with mental problems get treatment.

One expert said personality disorders may be overdiagnosed. But others said the results were not surprising since previous, less rigorous evidence has suggested mental problems are common on college campuses and elsewhere. Experts praised the study's scope — face-to-face interviews about numerous disorders with more than 5,000 young people ages 19 to 25 — and said it spotlights a problem college administrators need to address.

Study co-author Dr. Mark Olfson of Columbia University and New York State Psychiatric Institute called the widespread lack of treatment particularly worrisome. He said it should alert not only "students and parents, but also deans and people who run college mental health services about the need to extend access to treatment."

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-12-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hmm, not sure what to think about this.

Propaganda?

Are todays youth really that mentally unstable on a mass scale? I see instances here and there, but this study makes it look near pandemic levels.

Perhaps a "sales pitch" for the pharma industry, to increase more psyche-meds?

If valid, what the heck is going on? What is creating such a widespread "short-circuiting" of this generation?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-12-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't buy it for a second.

I've always felt that children are diagnosed far too easily with mental problems. Hell, more often than not the normal behavior of a young child is now considered to be ADD or ADHD, and doctors simply throw medicine at them.

I don't know that is propaganda so much as it's just far too easy to be diagnosed with a problem these days, especially if you're a child.

Walk into any doctors office and tell them you feel sad sometimes and you'll leave with a prescription for anti-depressants in a matter of minutes.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
i definently smell a sales pitch. 1 out of 5 people is way too many. i mean maybe thats how many they try to diagnose with a disease but in essence what they are doing is changing the meaning of disease.

back then you were energetic now you have ADHD
back then you were creative now you have Schizophrenia

its all bull

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Who funded the study? A special interest group funded by big pharma, no doubt.

On the other hand, with all the chemicals in food, all the crap on TV, all the crap in the air and all the BS in society; I'm not surprised children are so messed up.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
You might ask yourself... who is determining the definition of what is a "personality disorder"? Depending on how you define that... 5 of 5 have one. Or 0 of 5. Or any other useless statistic you'd care to come up with

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Children are no more messed up than they have ever been. Parents and doctors on the other hand….

People these days want their children to come out acting like adults. If they act like "normal" children, people assume there must be something wrong with them. Then they give them medicine to make them act more "grown up."

It's disgusting how readily everyone is diagnosing children these days.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
personality disorders:

Emulating a Rapper, dressing as Gangsta....

works if they BUY enough stuff, clothes, bling,...
but becomes a problem when that person transgresses the law.

Emulating the Athlete....

works when one pumps up on strength enhancing ingestments,
buys equipment, buys sportswear, becomes a 'cog' in the sports entertainment industry....etc
but becomes a problem when the person becomes excessive on black-market steroids.

just when does one cross the threshold between being
an avid enthusiest and having a problem behavior ?

big question, we can only respond to acts aready committed, with all the people needing jobs & careers the area of behavior intervention might be worth looking into, i.e. life coach, counselor, social services work

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Every single person on this planet has some form of personality disorder that varies by degree and intensity. My wife is moderately OCD (as are most women
) however no treatment is required because she isnt turning the lights on and off 15 times before she enters a room. You put me around someone long enough and I will tell you what their dysfunction is.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by ExistenceUnknown]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I would say school would contribute to a large portion of that. Perhaps a school worker would have a better idea but public schools really don't seem to provide much support or flexibility for students that need help. Everyone thinks they know what is best for these people without actually asking them what they think would help.

My blame of schools might be a bit over the top, but many of these disorders develop in the teens. Considering the sleep deprivation, stress of busywork, whatever other stresses they have over the course of 4 or more years, somethings got to give.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExistenceUnknown
Every single person on this planet has some form of personality disorder that varies by degree and intensity. My wife is moderately OCD (as are most women
) however no treatment is required because she isnt turning the lights on and off 15 times before she enters a room. You put me around someone long enough and I will tell you what their dysfunction is.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by ExistenceUnknown]

i agree, everyone is capable of having thier own quirk or something that could be labelled as a personality disorder. I think the report is prob spot on esp here in the uk & its prob linked to the amount of dysfuncntional families their are now, children being caught up in divorces etc. Believe me it does have an effect on the kids even if they seem to have come through it ok.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Having (managed) social anxiety disorder myself, I can only speak from my own experiences. I'm by no means an expert, but based on my many discussions (and consults) with shrinks of various calibers from psychologists to psychiatrists, clinical definitions of personality disorders are really just attempts to describe observed constellations of sociological and emotional extremes that start off by occurring naturally in our lives, but which then either become chronic due to already existing neurological conditions, or which in and of themselves (such as when someone is exposed to chronic trauma such as abuse from an early age, etc.) give rise to neurotransmitter imbalances. There's a thin line in many instances between the purely physiological, and the experiential or humanistic, and both often feed into or give rise to one another.

In short, except in cases where someone is born with an extreme predisposition for neurological instability due to genetic or other factors, or brain trauma and the like, these disorders do not develop in a vacuum. My social anxiety disorder, for example, even though it is mediated by, perpetuated by, and treated on the basis of neurotransmitter imbalances, wasn't always a part of me and didn't just appear out of thin air. Specific life experiences, which are personal and the specificity of which are irrelevant to the point, brought it about. That's why psychological disorders are, even when well diagnosed, complex affairs with primary, secondary, and tertiary axes.

If these disorders really are more common - especially among the young - then I suspect that there's a reason (or reasons) for it that we as a society should take a long hard look at in my personal opinion.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by AceWombat04]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Then some of them grow up to do things like this...

SAN ANTONIO — A man who rammed his truck into a woman's vehicle on a highway early Friday told authorities he crashed into her while going more than 100 mph because God told him "she needed to be taken off the road."

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

news.yahoo.com

CHICAGO – Almost one in five young American adults has a personality disorder....

You forgot to include the word "American" in your thread title!

Not everyone is American you know....or was it intentional?

[edit on 2/12/2008 by nerbot]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I don't believe it so I went to a shrink... He said "Just be myself." I tried to, but my multiple personalities kept getting into fights.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I love how they say YOUNG-ADULTS.

Making (adults) feel somehow good about themselves.

If 1 and 5 young adults has a personality disorder, then 1 and 5 ADULTS would CARRY that disorder onto ADULT-HOOD.

Your telling me Jim Cramer doesn't have something wrong with him? That's 1!

Rush Limbaugh? O'Reilly Oldberman? They don't have issues? They're C-R-A-Z-Y.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

news.yahoo.com

CHICAGO – Almost one in five young American adults has a personality disorder....

You forgot to include the word "Americans" in your thread title!

Not everyone is American you know....or was it intentional?

[edit on 2/12/2008 by nerbot]

Are you actually LOOKING at the yahoo thread title in that link? It doesn't have the word "Americans" on it. If it changes to include that, then I'll amend it. But lord knows, one misplaced word around here gets you in trouble. lol

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Quite frankly, what's wrong with a little crazy? Many of the past great geniuses could be considered at least a little crazy.

There are out people out there who need help. The guy who ran the woman off the road at 100mph - seems to be one of them. As for the rest? Well, it's getting to the point where simply being "different" of "quirky" is enough to demand that one goes on drugs.

As I stated in another thread, after my own experiences, I really believe there is a concentrated effort to get everyone on as many daily drugs as possible. All we need is a little detox from the chemicals in the air, our food, etc, and a LOT more tolerance for those different among us.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The article is misleading.

'Disorders' can be anything from OCD to being very afraid of the dark.

It's no big deal.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Ten personality disorders, grouped into 3 clusters, are defined in the DSM-IV:

Cluster A -- Odd or eccentric behavior.
Includes:
Paranoid personality disorder
Schizoid personality disorder

Cluster B -- Dramatic, emotional or erratic behavior.
Includes:
Antisocial personality disorder
Borderline personality disorder
Histrionic personality disorder
Narcissistic personality disorder

Cluster C -- Anxious fearful behavior.
Includes:
Avoidant personality disorder
Dependent personality disorder
Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
www.medterms.com...

Well the study says disorders that "effect everyday life". That sounds like they are stretching it. It also mentions depression which is not classified as a personality disorder.

I have no doubt that 1 out of 5 people could be considered a bit OCD, co-dependant, histrionic, or with mild sociopathic traits, those are rather common traits among many high functioning individuals.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join