It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another UFO magazine dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
About a year ago I mentioned on ATS that a new UFO/SETI magazine was being launched in England and also being made available in several other countries.

Stuart Miller, a British ufologist, launched the newsstand print magazine called "Alien Worlds", which he stated would was not going to be limited to ufology but would instead "take a much broader approach to the subject of extraterrestrial life and will encompass astrobiology and SETI as well as the phenomenon of UFOs/UAPs and the origins and development of life here on planet Earth".

The magazine has a website at:
alienworldsmag.com...

Unfortunately, it seems that the magazine has now folded.

Stuart Miller has posted the announcement below on his magazine's website:

1st December 2008

Announcement

It is with regret that I confirm what will have become obvious
to many by now, namely that Alien Worlds magazine will not be
published again.

I ran out of money to support the magazine which had been
operating at a loss. There followed extended talks with another
publishing company with a view to them taking the magazine over
but those talks failed. After that, I wrestled with the idea of
keeping it going as a download via the internet, but in the end
decided against that too. I am sorry for the disappointment the
magazine's closure will cause.

The pity of it was that it didn't actually need to make a profit
and even a small loss would have been acceptable. I could have
kept it going on that basis but the losses endured could not be
maintained. Unquestionably, I view my inability to attract any
advertising as being the reason for the magazine's closure.

I will also be closing the news service which can be found
elsewhere on this site and which has been ongoing in one shape
or form for over four years. It is time to move on.

Many, many people were gracious enough to help me with articles,
advice, and encouragement. I refrain from naming names in case I
inadvertently forget to mention somebody and cause unintended
offence but you people have my deepest appreciation and
sincerest thanks. Without you, the mag would not have even have
got to four excellent issues. Thank you.

I am sure other members of ATS that are familiar with Stuart Miller and his various efforts in relation to ufology in recent years will wish to join me in wishing him all the best with his future endeavours and hoping that this set-back will not result in him abandoning ufology.

Kind Regards,

Isaac

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I am sure other members of ATS that are familiar with Stuart Miller and his various efforts in relation to ufology in recent years will wish to join me in wishing him all the best with his future endeavours and hoping that this set-back will not result in him abandoning ufology.

Isaac, good post -that's a darn shame and I wholeheartedly agree with your comments above.

It's a sign of the times when theres about 40 different magazines available for subjects as wide ranging as 'caravan toilet maintenance' and 'ferret wellcare' yet few ,if any, objectively documenting reports of anomalous aerial phenomena - it's also a bit telling that the local news store in my city also stopped stocking the Fortean times despite repeated requests from others to buy it (although I suppose you can always subscribe).

Perhaps the heyday of British UFO magazinery was when well respected folks like UK Diplomat Gordon Creighton edited and compiled publications like 'Flying saucer review' -he was possibly one of the first prominent people ever to collate reports and info on the UFO/OVNI subject and was well known to have connections with many high ranking military officials, politicians and UK Royalty - here he is discussing the subject a few years back:

Cheers.
edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
In the last couple of decades many UFO research organisations both in US and Europe have also closed down or are a step away from doing so, primarily due to lack of funds.

CUFOS has been in tough times for years (I wonder what will happen to their huge archive)
DeVoid blog had a post about Davenport (NUFORC) frustration.
SOBEPS in Belgium folded a year ago, after 30+ years of operation. Same with some UK organisations.

I wonder what could be the cause for many "serious" (i.e. not NewAgey) UFO organisations folding ? Is it the dynamics of the Internet? Has people's interest in UFOs become more superficial? Have TPTB finally convinced everyone that it's all bunk?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dhatz
I wonder what could be the cause for many "serious" (i.e. not NewAgey) UFO organisations folding ? Is it the dynamics of the Internet? Has people's interest in UFOs become more superficial? Have TPTB finally convinced everyone that it's all bunk?

Probably a little of each, I think. The internet has allowed people to post sightings immediately, rather than saving them for someone else to publish in a magazine.

A few years ago, in Australia, the Tasmanian UFO Society closed. Their meeting nights trickled away to near nothing, until they were not worth having any longer.

Similarly, I attend the Victorian UFO Research Society meetings, which barely number 30 people. Greater Melbourne probably has a population of around 3 million people, yet only 30 manage to attend quarterly meeting nights... Also, their Australian UFO Bulletin has stopped being regularly published. It was supposed to be quarterly, but there's been about two editions in the last three years. It kind of sucks when their out of date website still promotes the UFO Bulletin being included with the membership fee.

The stronger magazines and societies will survive, while the others fall. I guess that's how natural selection works.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Hi, I'm trying to track down a copy of 'Alien Worlds' magazine, issue 2. If anyone is able to help - I'm interested in a specific article - I'd really appreciate it if you could send me a private message.

Thanks in advance.

SC

new topics

top topics

join