It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama to buy rare £20,000 gold ring for his wife to say 'thanks for your support'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

THERE IS NO RING!

The story is a Hoax.

The Report is Not True

The original (untrue) statement was:
"Our agent in the United States was asked by Mr. Barack Obama about the ring because he wants it as a thank-you gift for his wife, Michelle, for her support the last two years."

The spokesman is not named in the story, and there seems to be no other evidence for the claim.

The report is "not true," said Pfeiffer in an e-mail. He didn't elaborate.

Enrico Gamba, a spokesman for the jeweler, Bosco Giovanni Srl, declined to comment on the story.

"I don't confirm any news," he e-mailed.

The designer of the ring is very upset because people are blaming HIM for starting the rumor to boost his own business.

I learned this by reading a few stories on the Internet. It's easy to do. Or you can just sit here and crab about how hypocritical Obama is...

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Actually, after thinking about it, I wish Obama had bought the ring, it would make a great fundraising item for a charity, probably bring 2 million or more, and if Oprah bid on it, oh maybe 10 mil.

STM

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Just remember... if it seems like a great, juicy anti-Obama story (especially from a tabloid), and you (generic) just can't WAIT to post it so you can rag on him, it might be "too good to be true".

Associated Press

The rumor began overseas and made the rounds of American blogs, including the Drudge Report.

The office of Giovanni Bosco, reached in northern Italy, also said the reports were incorrect.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I love this "elite" crap.

NEW LONDON, New Hampshire (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Barack Obama is running for the White House, but it was not so long ago that he was so broke his debit card was declined.

At an unscheduled campaign stop at Vessels & Jewels store in New London, Obama bought a necklace for each of his two young daughters and a key chain, spending $37 on his debit card.

Waiting for his receipt, the man who is hoping to be elected as America's first black president turned to an aide and said, "Have I told you the story of the 2000 convention?"

"After I had lost my congressional race I had been running on broke and I got talked into going to Los Angeles. I got to the airport and I tried to use my card but it was declined," Obama said.

So elite. Chose to be a community organizer instead of working at any law firm in the country with probably a 7 figure salary.

HE WROTE BOOKS, people, that a lot of other people bought. He sold those books for money - it is basic business. He didn't have boku oil dollars unlike some OTHER presidents I know. Why don't all the cry babies write a book and go buy your wives something nice.

I love how the oil magnate,who was born in CONNECTICUT and has a family lineage of unethical banking and foreign investments, can rule for 8 years and avoid the ELITE phrase, but the guy who came from poverty, put himself through school and made some money by writing about his story gets the "elite" brand.

Stop nit picking!

Oh, but wait..THIS STORY WAS MADE UP!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It's his money. He can do what he wants with it.

I just hope that some of the obamatrons see this and wake up to the FACT that this guy is elite and just like every other politician - do as I say and not as I do.

But as I said, it's his money and he can do what he wants with it.

My money is my money too, right?

Not according to libs who are gearing up to bend everyone over for a good screwing.

Furthermore, you would think Mr. Change would have been a bit more discrete about spending so much money for something so useless during a time of hardship for an increasing number of Americans. But the people that put Mr. change in office are just too stupid to realize that he is an elitist and with this he is rubbing everyone's nose in it.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

Do you read the thread? This was a MADE UP STORY. NOT TRUE. DID NOT HAPPEN.

Libs spending? You mean 3.5 trillion, approved by a CONSERVATIVE president is not crazy? Read a book...

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
I love how the oil magnate,who was born in CONNECTICUT and has a family lineage of unethical banking and foreign investments, can rule for 8 years and avoid the ELITE phrase, but the guy who came from poverty, put himself through school and made some money by writing about his story gets the "elite" brand.

Please tell me how Mr. Poverty put himself through school. Where did the money come from?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin

Libs spending? You mean 3.5 trillion, approved by a CONSERVATIVE president is not crazy? Read a book...

"Read a book"? I'm working on my masters in organic chemistry. What the hell have you done other than post ignorant platitudes on a silly internet forum?

3.5 trillion you say....

And how many trillions in bailouts are you libs going to hand out again?

"Read a book" you say. I'll buy you a pop up book. That's about your level!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Good luck Obama, if the price of the metal has been dug up by the Daily Mail, then you know its cheap and you have been stung.....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Just remember... if it seems like a great, juicy anti-Obama story (especially from a tabloid), and you (generic) just can't WAIT to post it so you can rag on him, it might be "too good to be true".

Associated Press

The rumor began overseas and made the rounds of American blogs, including the Drudge Report.

The office of Giovanni Bosco, reached in northern Italy, also said the reports were incorrect.

Benevolent Heretic...

You posted a link which states:

Enrico Gamba, a spokesman for the jeweler, Bosco Giovanni Srl, declined to comment on the story.

"I don't confirm any news," he e-mailed.

Gamba sent a longer, but also unclear, statement to an AOL News blogger, saying that "because of reports so wrong and clearly different from the reality of our statements, we decided to not issue [a] statement on this matter."

www.politico.com...

Enrico Gamba DECLINES to comment...Nice...

Well, perhaps this news is "any publicity is good publicity"...So, the jeweler makes more money...

Personally, I like Obama...

However, I was disappointed to read this report because whether or not he is rich, he ran on a platform of "change" and "I am a regular Joe"...

Later, there were retractions regarding this story, and I have an open mind...So, maybe he didn't order the ring...

But, quite frankly, I think he ordered this ring, and then either cancelled (because of public backlash), or the ring will be subdued until a future date...

Where there's smoke, there's fire...

[edit because of earlier irrelevant info]

[edit on 12/4/2008 by swdecord]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join