It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the Parents of BTS!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It seems that there is quite a few parents among us, so it is time that we band together and share our experiences.

This will be an opportunity to exchange tips and tricks of parenting or just vent (Lets face it, ALL parents need to vent sometimes) If you have any questions there is a wealth of knowledge here. Anything from how do I get the baby to sleep, to how do I go about toilet training and even how soon do I introduce them to conspiracy theorism and how should I go about it?

So whether they are young or old what do you to get by or tell us how great you kids are.

This is not only for existing parents. Parents to be or those considering parenting can also gain from this. Don’t be scared off by the venting though. It is all worth it…trust me??

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This is an excellent idea Vikingant ( I still dont know how to thumbs up? )

I asked my hubby to change our baby girls nappy (she was 12 yesterday, god i feel old!) and he reluctantly agreed, so i go upstairs to carry on with my jobs.
About twenty minutes later he shouts me down and there he is with a huge pile of sh***y cotton-wool balls, johnsons baby lotion and our daughter in a right old mess. I am laughing hard now as i point to the wipes and explain that the cotton balls are for washing the baby not cleaning poo!!

So the tip is......well you got it and I think this applys to New dads because us mums can do these things with our eyes closed

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Beauty_HairyBeast]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
That is hillarious....now...not then I bet.
You got that right! My oldest is 7 and I still struggle sometimes which is why I leave the wardrobe descisions to the wife. Changing and cleaning I have down pat though. But then I have had 5 to practice with.
I would put money that I could change the bums of my three 2 year olds quicker than mosts dads would do 1

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Oh it was, i was crying and hubby was not amused at all as you can imagine. I wish I had of taken a snap now....

You sound like you have good experience but even I am learning now as children move onto unknown stages and different ages....Ha haaa

I flagged you as I think this is a great topic!

Im off to bed soon, cant keep up with this editing lol

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Triplet two year olds.....wow

I have three girls (11,10,8).
I can't think of any stories to share right now...I will check back later.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Tips for raising 14 yr. old daughters:

I don't have any, it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

She woke up one morning in August of '07 and I was like, "Who are you?". One day at a time is the best advice I have. Oh........always threaten with taking the cell phone and social life away. But, everyday that goes by a little bit of that sweet girl returns. It's always a good day when they actually acknowledge that you are on the same universal galactic plane as them. She'll be fine. It's hard on teenage girls these days. The pressures they have are endless, I cannot imagine having to have grown up with the social pressures that they do now.

One of the most important things I have found with children of all ages, especially the teens, is to always acknowledge and validate their feelings. Right, wrong or indifferent, it is how they feel. My husband as the hardest time with that. It's ok for kids to be sad, hurt, upset or even angry...it's what they do with those emotions that is the real lesson.

My son, now eight, was such a good little baby, then he turned two. HM! And I was like "Who are you?. Surely not the child I brought home.". My husband informed me that the return policy had expired by then so we toughed it out, pulled our hair out, banged our heads against the wall, and basically went insane for two years until he turned four. And we were like, "Hey, we remember you....that adorable, sweet child returned." I used to laugh at those who spoke of the terrible two's. Now, I hug them and offer my sympathy, and occasional babysitting.

Side note: August 12, 2008, they told each other they loved each other. I heard it, plain as day. Of course they didn't know I was around the corner. No prompting or payoff.....unconditional. It only lasted a brief moment, but one that I will, obviously, not forget.

More random tips/thoughts later.

Rush

[edit on 1-12-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
I used to laugh at those who spoke of the terrible two's.

Terrible twos!Now there is a chapter of parenting on its own. Not to mention one of the biggest misnomers of all time. They start at one and a half and last well into three years old or longer.
In a few years I will be able to laugh at the idea....:shk:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
.....Rush offers hugs, sympathy and babysitting for ANT.....

Rush

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks Rush, but I do not dislike you enough to let you take all of them

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks Rush, but I do not dislike you enough to let you take all of them

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fishneedh2o

I sure that with three girls that close in age you have all kinds of stories. That's a handful.

Rush

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
As a color blind man, I have the most difficult time dressing my 2 1/2 year old daughter. Why in the hell are there so many shades of pink and red and what in the world goes with what? Every time I pick out an outfit for her, it never matches. I try to stick to dresses only because those are easy.

Many times have I heard other parents say to me, while laughing "Ha ha.... looks like she picked her own outfit today huh?" :shk:

And why can't we just make it standard that ALL BUTTONS GO ON THE FRONT OF THE DAMN SHIRT? Why have some random shirt with a button that goes in the back? WHY!?!???

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Hey Karlhungis,
Its great to have another dads perspective.
I feel your pain my friend. I too am colour blind, but that is not the only reason for my wife to take care of that stuff.
If I pick out the clothes I invariable select something that she was 'saving' for an occasion or They are 'spare clothes'. What the heck are spare clothes? Clothes is clothes and they are all gonna end up dirty and changed later anyway.
Then there is "Get the shorts that so-and so brought them with the shirts from someone else..." Who remebers who brought them what?!?!

And why can't we just make it standard that ALL BUTTONS GO ON THE FRONT OF THE DAMN SHIRT? Why have some random shirt with a button that goes in the back? WHY!?!???

How many time I have copped if for putting stuff on backwards?!??!:shk:

[edit on 2/12/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

You just made me smile.

Yes, on the rare occasion that I actually do pick out something that matches (usually consists of a white shirt, so I can grab any pants to go with it), I tend to feel rather proud of myself. Thinking..."I nailed it! She looks cute, she matches, and Daddy picked it out!"

Only to see the look of disappointment on my wifes face when she sees the shirt that I picked out now has some sort of stain on it. "I was saving that shirt, now it is stained... "

I have a son on the way. That should be MUCH easier on me. Denim goes with anything.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

you have a son on the way, congratulations man.

what you describe in your post, yeah thats a ditto for me.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

Yep, February. We are still struggling with the name though, but it should be exciting.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Glad to see some good parental banter going on here.

I've got a daughter who turned 2 in September, and I'll have a son in February.

Being a dad is the best thing I've ever done in my life.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I have a 12 year old, 10 year old and a 9 year old, poor old son is stuck right in the middle of my girls!

Im really not looking forward to the teenage years as I was a nightmare but I can say our children have had a stable upbringing, so hopefully they shouldnt be as bad as I was...

Congrats Karlhungis and all the best

I will add some more to this thread later on

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

awe...
Maybe ball point or thin magick marker code in the tag labels? Though, with reds and blues there is always such a hue variety. But....when you first buy them-if a store clerk confirms (the hue) the first thing you can do is make a code letter for the outfit. Shirt A goes with Skirt A goes with long stocking A goes with sock A. Or. For Red. Ra-Ra-Ra (outfit one) Rb-Rb-Rb (outfit 2). Blue: Ba-Ba-Ba (outfit one) Bb-Bb-Bb (outfit 2). Then at laundry time, hang all the outfits--then pick and pull. :-)

I'm working on a similar concept for myself-not color blind, just outfit blind.

That is if you are color corordinating in all one color. If you are mixand matching whites and reds, or browns and reds you 'could' use a similar format, if you can follow/read your own code.

I'm fashion blind.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Hey Karl and congrats with your son on the way. And as you said, boys are sooooo much easier than girls. Especially with the clothes, the hair, the different pair of shoes to match each outfit, eventual makeup........I could go on and on. My son can get ready for school in 1/8 of the time it takes his sister.

Boys are wired different.

reply to post by nyk537

And congrats to you too nyk! Sounds like you will have your hands full.

I do miss having a baby around. My sister and I are known as "the mall baby-stalkers". (shut up ANT, fitting, I know) Always stopping and oooohing and awing over the babies, asking if we can hold them, getting evil looks from the moms and mall security. lol Our only hope is that our neices and nephews will hurry up, get on with their lives, please God let at least one of them get married and produce a great neice or nephew.

Rush

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join