It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“OMG! ‘Faith’ and ‘Quantum Physics’ are the SAME thing!” Well Maybe…??

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

The idea is brilliant IMHO....

It is all highly theoritical, but the fact that this theory is resolving many old problems should say something...

Also the first theory to get us to the other side of the big bang...

Its making me think... perhaps our universe, and the Multiverse is nothing more than a "quark" to something even larger...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by nj2day

"M THEORY" ?

Thought that was 007's way of 'managing up'

Nah, treo's don't show streaming, darn!

Let me get the ABC's of work done today, and I'll get to M tonight, k?

All your high tech spy wizardry and it can't stream? hehehe

I've got a treo too... the 680 can stream off of youtube mobile, but its pretty slow lol (not to mention chews up a bunch of data transfer if you pay by the meg)

I think you'll appreciate M when you get a chance to look at it tonight
It made me want to read more on it... even though I probably won't understand it very well lol

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

And....further....here's a challlenging one from Dr. Ross...

See... www.reasons.org...

I'll reply more specifically tomorrow (have homework and classes today), but basically it's one of those "any vague statement can be taken to mean anything I want it to mean" arguments.

For instance, I can use the Koran in exactly the same way, proving that Allah was detailing things about the universe (this is sort of a cheat, because Muslims, as one of the three People of the Book, also use the OT as part of their Koran.)

Ross is being ingenuous here. If I showed him the same sort of material from another faith and said that it conclusively proved THEIR deity was correct and eternal and all wise and amazing and the ruler of the universe, he would reject the "evidence" and denounce my findings.

But... because he's converted and is an evangelist, when it's HIS deity that's being considered then of course those flimsy statements prove all that and yards more.

That's not challenging. That's just quasi-scientific theology.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Byrd,

What do you know of M Theory ?

OT

PS: What is your field of study?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Byrd

Byrd,

What do you know of M Theory ?

About the same as everyone else... that it's a proposed theory and that theoretical mathematical research has been done on it and it's a renewed area of interest. I'm familiar with branes and string theory, but my reading time is limited so I generally just browse the abstracts of the papers (like this one: arxiv.org...). If it sounds really intriguing and I have the time, I'll actually read the papers but to be truthful, the Lie Algebras and 3-Lie Algebras are a bit beyond my skill set.

I also like to read followup responses in the journals to see where others thought their concepts were weak and what points were strongest.

In other words, I have a broad generalized understanding. However -- I can't derive deeper associations by looking at the math (sorry for the high toned language... writing a formal paper. I sound like I swallowed a dictionary, don't I?) When the math gets too deep for me, I go whine at my husband, the mathematician, and he gives me the skinny on the whole deal and what it implies.

OT

PS: What is your field of study?

PhD in Information Theory. I have to be familiar with Scary Mathematics Stuff for some of the theoretical work I'm doing. When I get into the Really Really Scary Math, I go whine at my husband, the mathematician.

I got part of my background in religion from attending a Baptist college (heavy emphasis on the theology and all the letters of the Apostles and all that gunk) for my Bachelors' (Biology and English... double major. Always was a glutton for punishment.) We also had to read some of the foundational documents and learn the history for our (required) Bible courses (and yes, at that time, they taught evolutionary theory in religious colleges.)

Like I said... overeducated goofball here who spends WAY too much time on ATS because I find intriguing things to think about posted by everyone (that's why I love this place.)

I'm going back to my paper now.

No, really.

Honest.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Wow! Information theory is some heavy stuff! i'm impressed!

Any particular areas you are focusing on?

And to say the math involved is "scary" is putting it rather mildly lol theoretical mathematics makes my head implode...

You guys are the future of technology over there! Quantum computing alone would revolutionize everything...

While I rather enjoy physics, the math is what keeps me from going all out...

I eventually hope to get a PhD in Public History, which probably seems like a rather mundane field compared to what you're doing...

can you offer any insight as to how its possible to mathematically calculate forces (such as Gravity) across dimensional barriers? It has always befuddled me to figure out exactly how the rules of mathematics would cross these theoretical thresholds...

I know its probably a difficult question to answer in laypersons terms... but putting my faith in your understanding, how "sound" are the results derived from these theoretical computations...

I know your busy, so I won't be upset if you don't have time to reply... these questions have just been nagging me for a while... and my understanding of speculative mathematics, frankly... sucks to say the least...

[edit on 3-12-2008 by nj2day]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Byrd, that was a refreshing read. Appreciated the transparency !

Sounds like the mathematical partner is a good 'dude', for lack of a better term.

Spouses that tolerate our multiple lurking and posting have a special place reserved for them in heaven

I am a black belt in lean six sigma, with a education / human development degree from a 'bible' college in the paiget/kolberg/fowler tradition.

Where you aware of the definitions in greek in Hebrews 11:1 in the OP?

I'll review the links/info you sent.

OT out...like Lexus...on the continual pursuit of perfertion

[edit on 3-12-2008 by OldThinker]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

nj2day....

Man I've got GREAT news for Michigan...

Looks like the Big 3 are looking up!

see.. www.youtube.com...

Jobs and more jobs coming back to MI!!!!

Thought a lil' levity might be "TIMELY"

OT

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

hehe yah I saw that

its awesome... "we had car trouble"

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day
Hey OT, I think I'm going to need further elaboration and have you add some definitions...

Found this from Dr. James Fowler....the academic dude I mentioned a few posts ago...

"Faith . . .may be characterized as an integral, centering process underlying the formation of beliefs, values and meanings that (1) gives coherence and direction to persons’ lives, (2) links them in shared trusts and loyalties with others, (3) grounds their personal stances and communal loyalties in the sense of relatedness to a larger frame of reference, and (4) enables them to face and deal with the limit conditions of human life, relying upon that which has the quality of ultimacy in their lives . . .The stages aim to describe patterned operations of knowing and valuing that underlie our consciousness." (from the book, Faithful Change by Fowler, p. 56)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

where's the m theory link?

OT

my youtube button from earlier, too, doesn't work?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

for some reason its not imbedding properly LOL same video... same link.. but not working on the imbed...

there ya go man... let me know what u think...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Thank you....

Going to Charlie's Steakhouse....and then I'll review....

I'm excited....posterhouse and 'm' theory!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day

www.youtube.com...

for some reason its not imbedding properly LOL same video... same link.. but not working on the imbed...

there ya go man... let me know what u think...

leaving soon...

listened to 5 min's;

3 statements JUMPED out at me...

"....A MISSING 'PIECE' BEYOND PHYSICAL...

...THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE BIG BANG WAS THE SINGLE BIGGEST MYSTERY OF COSMOLOGY...

...THEY STRETCHED..."

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
www.invincibility.org...

THX k

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Dude if you love Dr Who then you'll probably love "Jamaican Dr Who"

[edit on 3-12-2008 by moocowman]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

ya get a chance to see the rest of the vid yet OT?

This is not a 1 line post

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Thanks moo....haven't seen you in a while...

Been hiding from OT

Appreciate the video!!!

What are your thoughts on the M theory?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Did

you

see

my

one line post above?

OT

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

yup... but I disagree...

the Human conciousness side is entirely too subjective...

how did you feel about M? Genius is it not?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join