It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clean People Are Less Judgmental

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Clean People Are Less Judgmental

news.yahoo.com

A new study, set for publication in the December issue of the journal Psychological Science, reveals that when a person feels physically clean, he or she cuts others more moral slack.

The findings add to past research that has shown a link between physical warmth and generosity as well as physical chill and social isolation. Other past research has shown that sins seem to nudge people to clean themselves, a phenomenon the researchers dubbed the "Macbeth effect" after the dramatized murder
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
While in some ways I see the humor in this "scientific study" does seem to contain some truth.

Just wondering if others feel less judgemental after a good shower?? Do you feel more pure?

Personally I relate to the guilt = dirty metaphor in my own psyche. But I have played sports in the mud and never felt cleaner or more "pure". So is this study just something based in our symbols and can these symbols equate to any deep truth in our psyche?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I would agree with it, for now.

When you get out of the shower/bath, you feel the different. Actually feel it. And it leads you to feel fresh, and better about yourself. It seems only logical that when you are in a better mood, it will spread to how you react to others.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

I think you are closer to the reason than the actual study.

I believe it has more to do with your mood and your happiness as to how judgmental a person feels. I feel great after a shower, but at the same time I feel even better after sex or a really good meal. I think it has to do with comfort as to the affect on happiness. When you are dirty it is hard to be comfortable, all you want to do is clean yourself off.

At the same time though if you are working and doing something you enjoy the dirt does not bother you until you try to get back into your normal ways. For instance the OP talked about playing mud football. I am sure the mud did not bother the OP until it was time to get back into the normal range of things. For me I enjoy working on vehicles even if it is only a little the grease and oil, and grime is not a problem until I want to go relax or eat or whatever.

Let’s say though I will take this with a grain of salt.

Raist

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

i somewhat agree ... i view a shower or however you may clean yourself a way to wash away the day or night or both depending on when you take your shower ... i'm happier (for the most part) when i get out cuz i get the feeling of starting fresh

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If you are too clean you are at risk of bacterial and viral infections, stay dirty people and get a pet.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
That is absolutely false.

Clean people are almost always judgemental, and believe me, if your breath smells or you forgot to put on deodorant (which is obviously in our nature to do...pffft) it is more likely a clean person will feel free to point out your flaws in front of everyone... because clean people seem to be generally more concerned about appearance and what is socially acceptable or not.

I will admit it. I shower maybe three times a week. Oh well. I don't sweat that much and I don't get that dirty. Plus, something about the hot water combined with the shampoo and soap my mom buys gives me a splitting blinding headache... so I try to minimize that because I'm really sensetive to it. I can't afford fancy natural shampoos and soaps, and I refuse to get ripped off because corporate interests monopolize health so much.

I am not too judgmental, but I'm not perfect. I mainly judge people based upon their deeds and their level of kindness. Although I don't hate anyone, regardless of how horrid of an individual they may be.

I am a dirty person and I love you!

new topics

top topics

join