It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Batteryless Flashlights...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Batteryless flashlights, I started seeing them as a good idea to have in a glove box, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any long term reports on how they hold up. I'm looking at one for my BOB but not sure if it's worth the space. Anyone?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I would definitely not recommend the type that you shake. You get a cramp and well it looks pretty silly ie. Fast Times at Ridgemont High, also. I received one as a gift and it still sits in the junk drawer. I have to shake it for at least a minute to get a brief bit of light out of it. The crank type seem to be more reliable. Try a combo unit from Freeplay or Grundig/Eton. It can't hurt to throw one in the BOB. I also have a variety of lithium powered LED torches that are tough to beat. Just keep some spare batteries. Don't forget the the 8-10 hour emergency candles either.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have one that you have to crank for a few revolutions and uses LED's.
Best darn flashlight I ever bought

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The kind you shake or squeeze arent very bright and require so much effort that after a point you just dont care that your blind.

I know it's not "battery-less" but it's definitely worth a look:

www.lapolicegear.com...

They claim it can be charged in 90 seconds. I wonder if charging it would be feasible with one of those hand crank AC/DC/USB chargers or a solar charger.

The claims they make for this light are amazing and if they are true I'm getting one or more.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Try this one mate...

shop.packyourbags.com...

I got one about 6 months ago and its still working great, you wind it for about 30-60 seconds and it gives you 30 mins of good light. Very handy for BOB's, you can switch between 1 LED, 3 LED's or a flash depending on what you need it for.

edit: found a cheaper one

[edit on 1-12-2008 by fred3110]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
We got wind up flash lights that also have an am/fm radio and the ability to charge certain cell phones from sharper image for everyone in the family last year after we had a major ice storm and no power for weeks.

They have held up great and I think they were a good investment...

unfortunately it seems sharper image is no longer in business, so I can't recommend that exact model.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ok... So ones you shake are out. The crank style seems to be popular. Anyone tear into one and see how well made some are under the skin?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Haven't torn it apart yet, it's too handy. Received mine for Christmas last year and use it all the time, works great. I haven't tested it's longevity yet as far as how long it stays lit on 10 cranks or so but it's definately worthy of your BOB, lightweight as well.

Cheers,

The Undertaker

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I have several of the hand crank ones scattered about the house and one in each vehicle's glovebox. They only need about 60 seconds of cranking to give you 30 mins of light. The ones I have, have 3 LED bulbs with the choice of using all 3 or 1 at the same time. The light they give off is not brilliant but enough for you to shine on the ground so you can see where you are walking and enough light for you to find things in your rucksack etc etc. I wouldnt read books by them mind you.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
They sound like they have enough of a following to warrent one or two... How about in my Maglites... How can you stop the batteries from leaking while stored for long periods of time?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
I have one that you have to crank for a few revolutions and uses LED's.
Best darn flashlight I ever bought

Me too, I have both battery powered LED flashlights and hand cranked LED flashlights in my Bobs and caches, I keep the battery powered lights for tactical use, and the hand cranked versions for use in the home and retreats.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I just wanted to add that I have about 5 crank flashlights.

I have small children in the home; they love to play with flashlights and ALWAYS leave them on when they drop them. So these lights are basically the only ones that work in my home.

I could definitely change a flat on my car on a dark night on a lonely backroad by cranklight. I have done it without a flashlight and it was both tedious and dangerous. They are also great on a lanyard in a place where no one goes UNLESS there is a problem; i.e., hangin on the inside door knob of the well house, or on a hook up in the attic past where the entry light shines.

When we've had power outtages, prowlers, etc., the only flashlight I can seem to find is a crank light. so I guess I depend on them.

I prefer a big dry cell light, but the kids run them down or the battery leaks. The only one I can find right now.....has leaked out the top.....

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

put the batteries in the freezer, or fridge. seems to work. espeially in they're already low on charge, adds a little bit to 'em. can only suggest. also, the dynamo (crank) flashlights, are the best, the construction is fairly simple no matter the brand. a small magnet, inside a copper coil.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have several crank lights. We use them all over the house and cars. I swear by them. 30 seconds of cranking gets me 20 minutes of bright white light.

I was watching a puppy for a friend and one day while I was at work he chewed one up. I still have the bits and pieces I will see if I can get my camera going enough to take pictures of the guts for ya. Just FYI We picked up 7 of them two years ago at a home fix it Center for $3.00 a piece at a black Friday sale. Once you go crank you will never go back.

Word of warning how ever. The cheap ones have rechargeable batteries in them that will ware out in several years. If you get the expensive ones they have capacitors that hold the charge. they have a much longer life span. Also some say LED's will be TAKEN OUT by a EMP. Dont know that for sure but may be something to think of.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Aren't most of the crank flashlights very big and too bulky for a BOB? I have some top-shelf flashlights, but they only work for about a half hour, then they need to be recharged again for a few days, so they would basically be useless if shtf. Any small, non plastic ones on the market? The one fred posted looks great!

[edit on 2-12-2008 by METACOMET]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yes, there are quite a few. Local auto parts stores, Sears or any major retailer of the like will have them.

Thanks ANGERYAMERICAN! Great advice! We'll have to scope out what the box says before we buy.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I have a squeeze-type flashlight that I keep in case of an emergency. It's not very bright, and it will cramp my hand after a few minutes, but in a pinch, when the batteries die in the ither one, it's a life-saver.

The insides are pretty simple and tough. The gearing is nylon and the rest is just a small magnet that moves in and out of a coil. I'd recommend anyone have one just in case, whether it's a cranker, shaker, or squeezer.

No idea how much mine cost, as it was a gift some years back. It can't be more than a couple dollars though. It's all molded plastic except for the conductors and dirt simple to construct.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Alright!!!! Thanks to the Redneck we add the Squeezer to the cranker and the shaker... I never thought about that one! Thanks for the drop in Redneck!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have a faraday flashlight that has an LED in it and it works great. When i first got it i had to shake the piss out of it, but after, that it charges fast and the charge last for quite awhile. And it's very bright. I think the company name was Everlife, but i'm not sure. I bought it at wal-mart.

And all your crankers, shakers, and squeezers are all the same basic design. A magnet passes over or through a coil of copper wire.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Anuubis]

top topics

join