It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do we need school?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Considering that my previous awakening was overlooked...

you have witnessed within this thread some of the most aware responses to any question posted... that i have ever seen.

bar none

(to bypass this opportunity would be extremely remise on your part OP)

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Grock]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The only school you will ever attend is the school of life. All other education systems are cheap instruments to get you brainwashed and socially accepted.

There is nothing better or more efficient that self realisation of truths, inner desire to know and will. Schools everywhere force people to learn things, more than they encourage. If you fail to learn the dogma you get isolated, and socially excluded.

Still, you cannot live life in izolation, so, be smart, go to school, take that crap, since most is useless time spent on nothing that you will later forget anyway.

In the mean time (we're talking at least 12 years of education) be smart and do your own research in the areas that you like/love. Go out and read, travel, see things for yourself. Question your reality and find your truth.

If you do this, then you will be a person with your very own personality not some creation of the system. You will have your own beliefs, things you discovered as truth to you, not what fits society. You will have a strong character and will.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
i have a junior in high school and i find it useless. i find myself thinking why the hell am i here.

they make you take useless classes so you fufill the requiremts here take a look
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
31 core credits (minimum)

English

This is performance art isn't it?

Or am I on Punk'd?

Good job. Oh, you totally got me with this one.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DooRight

i didnt mean all of them. i just posted the requirements. if you read my entire first post you would have understood that.

English and basic math are the most nessacery

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well I fit more or less in the same boat. I've moved twice and been to four different high schools. What I have a problem with is how college is forced upon us (at least at the schools I have been to). For a long time I thought you had to go to college just like grade school. And oh I love how they don't tell you about trade schools. I was planning on dropping out and just getting a GED. Then I found this private school/online school. Basically if you pay $450 and have at least 16 credits they give you a legit diploma. I'm taking this rout as soon as I turn 18. Worth looking into.

www.continentalacademy.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by verymanley

yea thats another thing that bugs me. they make it seem that a public high school is the only way to go in life.

there are so many other ways to get a diploma. or better yet learn to do what you want and make money

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thinking that all your classes, outside of what you are interested in, seem useless is common in High School. Your problem is that you don't know what you don't know, yet, so you can't really say what is important at this time in your life. For example, language is important for you to communicate your thoughts on and off the job. In fact, looking at your spelling, syntax, and grammar, I suggest more courses in the area so that, should you ever wish a job, you will be able to write a resume that will get you hired.
Knowledge, in one area only, is limiting and will relegate you to being on the low end of the employment scale while your superiors, who may be much less talented than you, will reap the benefits of your skills.
Don't drop out. If you think you can handle the load, get the GED and continue with your schooling. Focus on your goal and don't get sidetracked by those jealous of your ability and drive to succeed.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Learning is essential in life, schooling is not!

When I was in middle school I became incredibly bored with memorizing facts, and not learning anything. I skipped school constantly, coming in once a week to catch up on school work and take tests. I aced most of the material. They had Faculty meetings at the end of the each year, to debate wether I should pass with 40+ absent days. I made mostly A's and B's so they decided it was in my best interest to pass me.

High school was more sociable, so I went more. It was retarded, of course, but as I lived one block away, just skipped individual classes and ripped bong to make things easier.

Got my GED when I was 17. I couldn't believe there was a group of people studying for this test, when I went to take it. This test was a joke!

Went to the local community college a year early, and got really bored there too, so stopped going.

I bought into the whole, I'm a loser because I'm not educated, nonsense. Thought that I would never amount to anything, and just bummed around for several years.

If I could do it again I would have gone one of two ways. No matter what, I would have gotten my GED, but probably should have studied the textbooks for core classes and tested out. I had a problem with studying BS all semester long, but could have just crammed for a test and gotten through with it.

The other option would have been to realize that a diploma, degree, is just a piece of paper. It's all about how you apply yourself in the real world. A smart employer will look for someone with confidence and skills, regardless of whether he's got that piece of paper.

I've got several friends who are doing well without any degrees. They went out to innovate and are on their way to it! Just apply yourself in whatever you do. Don't give in to the negativity, yeah schooling is mostly BS, but sometimes you just gotta do it. If not, find whatever interests you and pursue it.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
For many, the structure of a school program is a necessity to balanced learning. Few can do well by learning on their own, especially when they really don't know what they should learn. If boredom overtakes you, a GED is one way out but you shortchange yourself with the easy path as your foundations aren't strong. Try home schooling. You can learn at your own pace without dealing with the dirtball gangstas who are acting out their own movie parodies.
Trade schools, suggested earlier, are another way out. You can do physical things like carpentry or welding or can do technical stuff that intrigues you. If you like electronics, there are programs for automotive diagnosticians...cars are computers on wheels and many of the older mechanics don't have the desire to learn electronics systems. If you want a skilled trade and have a good feel for math, machinist is a good trade. Inside work and good pay for a scarce commodity, especially CNC work.
Lastly, you can join the military. Go with the Navy CB's if you like construction trades and the Marines if you like Ma Deuce and want adventure. If you are really intelligent, motivated, and resilient, nuke subs are full of opportunity [but claustrophobia is a disqualifier.] This is the only way you can be a nuke technician with OJT. Civilian nuke power plants will become more important in the future as we try to stop global warming and there are few that can operate them. We really don't want Homer Simpsons doing that job.
The military will motivate you more than you can imagine and you won't be sitting around wishing you had done something adventurous while you were young. It will also tell you a lot about yourself that you might not find out otherwise.
Take action.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

Lastly, you can join the military. Go with the Navy CB's if you like construction trades and the Marines if you like Ma Deuce and want adventure. If you are really intelligent, motivated, and resilient, nuke subs are full of opportunity [but claustrophobia is a disqualifier.] This is the only way you can be a nuke technician with OJT. Civilian nuke power plants will become more important in the future as we try to stop global warming and there are few that can operate them. We really don't want Homer Simpsons doing that job.
The military will motivate you more than you can imagine and you won't be sitting around wishing you had done something adventurous while you were young. It will also tell you a lot about yourself that you might not find out otherwise.
Take action.

I took the ASVAB pretest a few weeks ago. Scored a 97 on it and finished in about 8 minutes. No calculator. They called me a genius, but I'm thinking they say that to motivate people. Not sure.

I wanted to see if I was eligible for NUKE. They said if I could carry that score to the actual test, I would be automatically admitted, baring physical examination, and background check.

I observed EVERYONE inside the recruitment center was a moron. It really turned me off. The average socre on the asvab is around a 43. This means the average military person has a below average intelligence quotient. I already have major troubles dealing with people of average intelligence, so there's no way I'm gonna subject myself to that type of atmosphere.

Just a thought if you also can't stand being surrounded by morons.

Also wanted to add that I was told that people usually score a bit higher on the real test. These are scored as a percentile, so if the tests have the same difficulty, then it means, on a whole, smarter people take the pretest only, and never go through with the next step of taking the asvab. As in, they know better than to get caught up in the military.

[edit on 19-12-2008 by unityemissions]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

You will have to deal with those of lesser intelligence all through your life so don't let that prospect dissuade you. This adaptability is important for survival as many on these boards can tell you. If you really want to get to your goal, it is something you will have to tough out. After boot camp, if you go to Nuke school or data processing school or electronics tech school, you will find that you have competition. There is also more than basic intelligence required and that is work and dedication. You must be focused and motivated.
Good luck.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
well heres a little kick in the nuts for all of you pro schoolers.

i got a 65% avg and failed most my classes this semester yet got a 1690 on the sats thats only on 2/3 parts. when i add in the 3rd part it goes over 2000 outta 2400. so yea why do we need school again?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

You will have to deal with those of lesser intelligence all through your life so don't let that prospect dissuade you. This adaptability is important for survival as many on these boards can tell you. If you really want to get to your goal, it is something you will have to tough out. After boot camp, if you go to Nuke school or data processing school or electronics tech school, you will find that you have competition. There is also more than basic intelligence required and that is work and dedication. You must be focused and motivated.
Good luck.

I realize I'll be dealing with people of lesser intelligence my whole life. I'm not trying to act like the smartest guy, either, because I know I'm not.

What I was saying is that by going to the army the gap, on the whole, will be even wider. I'll have more of a harder time relating with most people, and it'll basically be hell for me.

If you read my post entirely, I think you'll see that I inferred that I'm not signing up. There's more reasons, but I prefer to keep them to myself.

I can definitely be focused and motivated, but have to see the big picture. My motivation comes from inspiration which comes from a purpose aligned with conscience. The military will not provide that. I'm not signing up!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

posted on 1-12-2008 @ 09:20 AM

[edit on 07/17/2008 by N. Tesla]

I don’t know what going with the OP dates but oh well seems fishy to me.

Tezla if you feel that strongly about school I would drop out and go with what’s in your heart.

Most self made millionaires say they make money doing what they love!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I may be starting off in unfamiliar territory..

but I believe people aren't focusing on WHAT education is...

first and foremost I'd like to say that this won't make much sense because we have all been similarly educated but if you know a bit about what I'm talking about you may be able to follow along.

Individual Reality vs. Shared Reality.

Education is the entwining of individual reality with shared reality.

On another level though, it is babysitting, on another level it is actually there for "education" and to teach people.

But for the most part it's meant to blur the line between shared reality and individual reality and eventually individual reality over years of education becomes replaced with a certain subsection of shared reality (goth, jock, normal, nerd, pro, lumberjack, doctor, dentist, teacher, bum, fastfood employee) the list goes on.....

most times from childhood we are programmed to "grow into who we really are" ...... with such questions as "What do you want to be when you grow up" or statements like "You're too young, wait until you grow up"
but rarely are we ever asked who we are, what we want to do, or what we want to learn at the present time our options are limited from birth because those "with the power" restrict us, in the same way children are required to learn at certain levels as if in reality there are really grade 5 words and a set of spelling words at grade 8 levels.

I'm not going to get into the research but if you assume something is stupid it will be stupid and if you assume people need to learn at a certain level before they reach another one it will also be true, .. but if you approach people as if they are geniuses they will generally perform much better than if you treat them like a moron.

Now to approach your original question which is Why do we need school

we don't necessarily need schools in the way they operate today, it needs reform.

with that being said, the buildings are already there and can be used in a more efficient way, instead of having a classroom for each grade there could be a classroom for each "subject" ....

I think the main reason for school in the form it is today is that it's structure and system implies progress even if it isn't taking place.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
I'm not going to get into the research but if you assume something is stupid it will be stupid and if you assume people need to learn at a certain level before they reach another one it will also be true, .. but if you approach people as if they are geniuses they will generally perform much better than if you treat them like a moron.

I just wanted to say that I agree with your entire post. When I said that I observed the people inside the recruiting office acting like morons, I didn't mean that I treated them like that. I went in there with an open mind, and treated everyone equally with respect and consideration. It was my general impression of the atmosphere. These guys were not genius's, no matter how hard I could have stretched it. It would be untruthful to myself to see them as such. I do understand the point in what you're saying. We are all influencing each other with our thoughts.

The only thing that I disagree with is when you say, "if you assume people need to learn at a certain level before they reach another one it will also be true". My teachers tried to drill this into our heads. I thought this was ridiculous. From A to B, from B to C, from C to D...in my mind A became D when I just let things work them selves out. Part of the reason I left school.

edit for: I have the spelling abilities of a toddler, hooray!!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

The military is only one opportunity and your reasons for not taking it must be valid. Nukes are Navy only, so the Army might not be suitable. That said, you do have many other options to either do something you like to earn a living or do something to make money so that you can do what you like in your free time.
For example, if you want to be an artist and don't have any sort of job, you will be starving for a while. A better option may be to get an "eatin' job" doing something that can keep you fed and housed while paying for paint and canvas that you can use nights and weekends. When you are self-supporting as an artist, the day job can go. I know a PhD in theoretical physics that drives a cab because he wants to do what he wants to do on his own terms. He'll happily discuss the local football team or quantum mechanics with any of his customers, but sticks to football unless asked. He's surprised one visiting professor with a tutorial in his specialty while sitting in a traffic jam. [Never underestimate the people you are speaking to.]
There are many opportunities for anyone who wants to take them. If you need a 9 to 5 job, accounting is an option. You can even work part tme for small businesses while you grow your own business. Court reporters can make good money and have a flexible schedule. Skilled medical positions, ultrasound technician, x-ray technician, pharmacy technician and other medical jobs are in demand but your hours may be less flexible and the pay might be lower.
To figure out what you want to do, get your GED and sign up for some courses that seem interesting to you at a local community college. If you have support from your folks, a job won't overwhelm your study time. Read the CC catalog for descriptions and prerequisites and visit their guidance counselors. Guidance is free and you can learn a lot just by asking questions. You can do course tryouts with minimal cost and pick up a 2-yr degree with ease. Other than the big cost reduction, a significant advantage is the difference between "some college" and "Associates Degree" on a job application should you stop after two years. Remember to take courses that will transfer to a 4 year school in case you go for something academic and want to go on. The CC and the College will have lists of these courses.
Try not to wait too long between the GED and more education. The longer you wait, the harder it is to go back.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

i personally hate it. i find school so #ing unessacery. if i want to be a computer programmer tell me why i need to know the distance from the earth to the sun. im sure that someone needs to know but i don't.

You got it all wrong. You need to know your place. Where do you think you live? Inside a computer?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
School ain't # homie, get yourself a Job (Or if you have one) you will know the difference between Society and Life itself, everything MOVES! because MONEY makes it MOVE...Education only MOVES Imagenary thoughts and imagenation to fall and live in a Illusion, that you will "OWN, BECOME or BE" someone in life and be having Rich wealth paychecks coming in your way...Networking is because of Money...everything Involves money...# School homie get a BOOK!!! and READ!!!!...STUDY!!!...BE BIO!...Astro!..SOMETHING that will FEED the BLOCK...

In the Block, FLY away and come back with Food...#! how you done it...cause bottom line is FOOD that is going in stomachs

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
we need school to stay educated, you dont want an entire society of dumbed down moronic leaders.

now that i think of it i believe there is such a society its called the bilderberg group

haha they cant even spell "build"

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join