It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do we need school?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

it liberates you from nothing. if anything college makes you more of a slave. it is estimated that a 6 year college takes 30 years to pay off.

that is the government owning you for the next 30 years. freedom?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

N.Tesla,

I can understand that you are going to get answers from both sides of fence on this issue. I think what it comes down to is choice. When I was in High School I didn't want to be there. I felt like a prisoner. I wish I could have had some choice in the matter. I cut school and played in a punk band. Later on I went to college for something that I actually want to learn and was useful. Either way School doesn't equal intelligence. An intellengent person will find a way to learn with or without high school.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Tesla, what I said was:

saying # the system does one thing. It liberates YOU temporarily from being a slave to it...until you realize you HAVE to play the game by the rules.

Saying Screw the system liberates you....to a point. I didn't say that going to College Liberates you.

For the record, I'm in my 4th year of University, and here is what it cost me to go:
1st year - $5,000 Tuition & Books (lived at home with Parents)
Paid in Full by Scholarships from Highschool.

2nd Year - $13,000 Tuition & Books & Living (lived inthe City in an Apartment)
Took out 2 Student loans - totalling $10,000
Currently owing $5,000 - paid one off
Mom lent me $3,000 - paid her back

3rd and 4th Year - $18,000 Tutiton, Books & Living (currently in 4th year, living on campus in residence)
Line of Credit from the Bank - $16,000
Visa Card - $2,500

I'm in my Fourth Year, and when I am finished I will owe just about $23,000 dollars. I'm not worried about what I owe - why? Because at the end of it all, I'm going to be able to pay it back.

My bestfriend is a Cost Accountant for a Pulp Mill in our hometown, Her education cost her $30,000. Four Year program, bachelor of Business Administration, majoring in Accounting, and is currently getting her designation in Cost Management Accounting. She's been working at the mill a little over a year. She makes $27/hr. Her debt is gone. All the money she has banked now - is what she is using to start her life.

Now, not everyone strikes a good job fresh out of University. My friend Jeff, has a Degree in Political Science, and in Sociology. He is making $15/hr, and he owes more than I do. But you know what? Its the field he wants to be in, and he couldn't get into his field of work without his degrees. Yeah it sucks that he's making $15/hr - I agree it sucks - but he has a chance for advancement which will help make his debtload lighter.

THAT irks me about College. You spend all this time learning, and all this money on books and tution, only to have to pay it back...but it can be done without going bankrupt or being broke for 30 years paying off debt.

- Carrot

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Employers always have to teach new employees what they need to know in order to get the job done.
A good education shows an employer that you have the ABILITY to LEARN.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Although I don't like the idea of filling kids heads with subjective schemas (which is what I think school does), I do realise society as it is today does need school.
You may think the education is irrelevent at the moment but it is all character forming. Discipline sucks but the school environment is generally speaking, good for you.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

anything school other then your basic math and english is useless...until college or university...

so basically that 13 years inbetween is just to teach you obedience.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Dude,

as a teacher i must say first and formost that I have been there before. I hear you. Each and every one of us goes through this exact awakening eventualy...

BUT, your question is easily ignorant. Considering that you are unaware. Unawareness is both the block and the key here...

How can you ask a 17th level thing looking at it from an 11th level perspective?

The question alone answers itself... you cant until youve been there.

**You cannot understand that which you seek until you are ready and are in the right perspective of the time**

I wish i had more for you right now, but thats about it.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 30 Seconds

anything school other then your basic math and english is useless...until college or university...

so basically that 13 years inbetween is just to teach you obedience.

school is just there to keep you off the streets. it teaches you not to cause problems when your an adult.

i agree with you that college is more necessary but then why all the other waste of time

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Schooling is simply exposure to topics that one wouldn't encounter on a normal basis. Some may find some subjects unimportant but the truth is that people have to find their place in society and usually the developing interest on a subject leads to a future vocation, profession, etc.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I was like you when I was in High School... I figured it out my Senior year, its not about the credits or the usefulness of the info, but the applications and implimentations it will have in the future...

You'd be surprised how important it is in the future to understand history, political science, math, science, what have you. Just remember, when you take subjects out of the equation of universal knowledge, you limit yourself to choices and decision and you ended up repeating mistakes.

[edit on 12/3/2008 by FoxStriker]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
high school is necessary to be have a well rounded education, only one problem is, it seems to stunt curiosity.. Big time.

Not only that, but it stunts a persons perception of their potential. A person whom gets bad grades, (and possibly no one at home to enforce them) might figure that they are stupid, or school isn't their thing.. But they could be an actually fairly smart person, who can grasp concepts easily, and is put off and insecure by this rigid system.. This is why it is important to have parents who will enforce this. I'm still in high school, and it always seems like the kids better off at home, also are doing well in school. I didn't do well as a freshman, and i am very jealous of the households they come from, that pushed them. Although, i know i am smart. I just guess i wish i had guidance.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I look at school differently every second. there are two ways in which I tend to interpret the requirements that (at least my own school district) places on us. Actually, not really the requirements, but the way that the teachers attempt to teach and fulfill their own job requirements and therefore have no responsibility if a child fails. I agree with the requirements in a way. These requirements consist of say the number of credits, which means that you have to take so many years of a particular subject. What is weird is that my school requires more years of english and history than math and science.. that to me is retarded. But anyway/s, my two views are that teachers who dont know how to teach (oof which there are numeroussss) push the paper, meaning worksheets. this is true this year in my physics class. It is not true for my biology class, however, in which the labs we do are somewhat of a learning experience, yet more or less they ensure that no one fails because the labs which all the goody goodies complete with perfection act to offset the possible bad grades on the tests which are pretty hard im not gonna lie. Does the teacher use the labs for this reason? The use of this by this part. teacher is questionable. Do other teachers use this method to ensure somewhat decent grades by the students within their classrooms? absolutely. This practice I don't refute as being acceptable, its helped me thats why haha. even if it didnt though. what i DO NOT agree with is teachers being fat #ing lards and have students do labs instead of lecturing. Now if this is their method of teaching so be it. If they don't know how to teach well in the first place though, and ( I say "and"bc occcasionally teachers need a break, but most hand out worksheets bc they cannot teachadeq. , not because are too lazy) do this as oppossed to actually talking, they should not be teaching. There are other administrative things which are stupid, like no ipods bc kids cannot hear the fire alarm... idk about that one. its a possibility though i guess, but you could still see everyone leaving. more of a legal issue i guess, but at first i wasl iek wtf lame excuse just say no electronics bc they can get stolen.. but i kindof thought about it and not agree but w/e.. Other things like shoe wearing policies are jsut ridic though. anyways just my two cents. im a senior btw outside o' philly. I heard NYC's a lot harder than around my area ( from a kid who transferred and was forced to take classes they no longer needed, at least for a marking period i think they finally relented i dont know for sure though alls i know is that he left ahah so yeah)

pcce maybe ill join this site soon,
Mike r.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm a junior too. Believe me, learning about imaginary numbers blows and I don't see how anyone would use them besides electricians. However, you never know that you'll need some of this stuff until you actually do. You aren't a slave for going to school. You're a slave if you believe everything you're taught and never look things up on your own, which is a part of life. Do you think people who don't have the option to go to any school enjoy sitting around and not going anywhere in life? You need to think about how great this opportunity is, no matter how stupid you think everything is. Also, you have a year and a half left of school and after that you can do whatever the hell you want.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'll agree that our public school systems and curriculum are quite broken and do not offer much useful preparation for entrepreneurial success. Nor does higher education offer much useful preparation for real world success. It does offer you the opportunity to take part in our economic system currently crumbling however. It is a breeding ground for the large corporate western economic system in place. However, without it you will certainly not be considered when seeking employment from any rewarding sector of our economy. You also run the very high risk that you are not intelligent enough, through a lack of basic preparation that lower and higher education offers you, to make it on your own as a successful entrepreneur. More importantly of all you will not have met eager, aggressive, and intelligent like minded people to forge strong business relationships with. You will most likely wind up a tasker your entire life unable to participate in a rewarding sector of the economy. There are many exceptions though and anything is possible through determination and savvy.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I really dread letting down my whole family telling them I won't be going to college, but I do not plan on putting aside my priorities in favor of their priorities for my life. My mother dropped out her senior year and had three kids by age 21 and was a single mom with no help from anyone. We were very low financially. Then she met a guy who worked at a factory with a middle class income. I don't know if she ever really even liked him but if not then she is a good actress. She decided to go back to college so she could get a better job. The only way she could pay for it was with her boyfriend's help who really didn't support her decision. So she went to college and got a job with a fair amount of money. She dumped the guy after she no longer needed him, moved to a better house in a richer city and "fell in love" with a married man. (And became a bible thumping Christian.) I don't really remember if she was happier living poor or now, but I really can't imagine her being anymore stressed out than she is right now. It is a choice that no one can make but you, depending on your beliefs, your priorities, your abilities, and your limits.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

so your family pushes you to do it. i dont see why that makes it a nessecity.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
First of all, OP, your spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, etc., ALL NEED a serious amount of help. When typing on a forum such as this, kindly do not use shortcut style, as you'd likely use when texting via cell phone. That would be ONE reason why you need school...if they have English, Spelling, and Typing classes. Today's kids are nothing but spoiled snot-nosed brats who are so spoiled on video games and other technology that I could only have dreamed of in the late 70's. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is learn, study, do your homework, and make the grades.

School is there to teach you preparedness for the adult world you'll soon-enough enter, after 12 years of listening to very-boring teachers, who are really only there to draw a weekly paycheck.

But probably the biggest reason one is required to be in school, if not for the purpose of breaking your spirit, and bending you to the will of the corporate masters who are going to run, direct, and control the remainder of your life as you think you know it, then it would be for the purpose of indoctrinating you into a quasi-fascist, theocratic, directed way of life, designed to remove you from your parents, and draw you into a non-person, non-individual, world of government servants who will gladly go along with any war (or rumors of war) that might be in the offing.

Listen, there was hardly a day that went by that I didn't hate school. But believe me you, I hate paying bills and being in debt even worse. If you're one who is in a public school, you have the choice to attend a private school, or to be home-schooled. Quit your whining, and make some changes where you can, and try to effect changes wherever they're needed.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

My family pushes me to do what? go to college? yes, but I am not going. What is not a necessity? college? I know, that is why I am not going.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by cancerian42]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
they want us to be good little robots for corporate america.

Well, that explains why we need school.

Trained slaved are better than untrained ones.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join