It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do we need school?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
i have a junior in high school and i find it useless. i find myself thinking why the hell am i here.

they make you take useless classes so you fufill the requiremts here take a look
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
31 core credits (minimum)

English

8 credits

Social Studies

8 credits

These include: 2 credits in U.S. History, 1 credit in Participation in Government, and 1 credit in Economics

Math

6 credits

Science

6 credits

These include: One 2-credit course in life sciences, one 2-credit course in physical science, and a third 2-credit course in either life science or physical science; a minimum of 1,200 minutes lab time.

Health

1 credit

Arts

(dance, music, theater, or visual arts)

2 credits
Plus these 13 additional credits:

Physical Education

4 credits

(For this subject, a semester is valued at ½ credit.)

Students who finish all other diploma requirements in fewer than 8 semesters may have this requirement reduced.

Sequence / Electives

9 credits

These include:

* One 6-credit sequence in a foreign language (other than English)

OR
* 2 credits of foreign language AND one 10-credit sequence in Career and Technical Education (CTE)

OR
* 2 credits of foreign language AND one 10-credit sequence in the arts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes so as you can see this list is pretty stupid and not very good.

lets say i want to work as a programmer and i need math why do i only need 6 classes of math and 8 of history. the same can be used vice versa.

many classes given are useless and alot of things you learn you will never use again.

when was the last time you needed to find the area of a circle inside a square?

when the hell am i ever gonna need to speak italian yet here i am taking it again.

i am not an overachiever simply because i dont care. i sit there and do my work but get excellent test grades yet teachers end up failing me for the stupidest reasons

1. lateness- so i come 5 minutes late miss the teacher calming down the class and that means i missed something important?

2. absents- i dont come in when the teacher is absent but apparently she left work with the sub that didnt give it out.

3. homework- this is the stupidest reason. first of all 99% of all homework is meaningless. its mostly here copy this work 15 times or answer questions you will never need to know again. i think that if a teacher does a good job of teaching things in class then homework should not be nessacery

i dont see why i fail when i know the majority of the subject simply because i disagree. thats right thats the reason.

if we are reading shakespeare i will point out all the problems i have with it.
if we are learning about 9/11 i will say my thoughts on it.

and the messed up part is thats what gets me. teachers dont want to have us think outside the box. they want us to be good little robots for corporate america.

i mean look at the list you take physical education more then anything else. who needs math and science when the kids need to do those little arm circle thingies that just make the overweight people feel as if they accomplished something.

education has to start at home yet im willing to bet that 80% of the parents don't know or don't care whats going on. if parents dont force kids to learn they won't.

no kids dont want to go to school. if you dont force them THEY WILL NOT GO.

i personally hate it. i find school so #ing unessacery. if i want to be a computer programmer tell me why i need to know the distance from the earth to the sun. im sure that someone needs to know but i don't.

you should be allowed to pick your carrer choice and go with it. have specalized classes.

the system is teaching us its training us.

i apologize for my spelling and grammar i go to an American Public School.

[edit on 07/17/2008 by N. Tesla]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Cheap shot!

Your thread is an example and proof why you need school!

Enough said.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Cheap shot!

Your thread is an example and proof why you need school!

Enough said.

this says nothing. explain what you mean.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Cheap shot number 2

if i want to be a computer programmer tell me why i need to know the distance from the earth to the sun. im sure that someone needs to know but i don't.

Guess your world of communication and knowledge will be limited to that of a computer programmer.

Knowledge is power.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Guess your world of communication and knowledge will be limited to that of a computer programmer.

Knowledge is power.

useful knowledge is power. how will knowing useless information effect me in anyway? a.nd even with knowledge if you cant use it then its useless and unnessacery

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla

this says nothing. explain what you mean.

i personally hate it. i find school so #ing unessacery. if i want to be a computer programmer tell me why i need to know the distance from the earth to the sun. im sure that someone needs to know but i don't.

you should be allowed to pick your carrer choice and go with it. have specalized classes.

the system is teaching us its training us.

Well so do millions of other people who become Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers and Scientist!

Dont blame your lack of applying yourself on a school system thats a cop out!

Yes some school systems need improvement no arguement there

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
its not about applying myself. as ive stated i get really good grades on tests showing that i know the subject. then why am i receiving failing grades for stupid reasons.

why should i apply myself to something that won't benefit me in the long run. if i know the subject then doesnt that mean that the teacher did her job and im done?

why do i and many others have to be dragged along even if we already know this information or dont need it.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

why do we need school?

I also at school at the moment although im nearing the end of my school life for good
and i absoloutely hate school so much i hate everything about it i hate getting up early in the morning for it i hate some of the pupils and some of the teachers but i still have to do it because i know i need it although i wish i didnt have to go i need it and im grateful that i have the opportunity to go because some people in this world would give everything to be their

also school gives the basic skills and knowledge we need in life such as i pointed out earlier i need to learn and get used to getting up early for work otherwise i'll just get fired if i keep turning up late and then where will i be

• No Money
  • No Job
  • No Qualifications

Then No life
I know it seems like a big waist of time but seriously tink about and i mean seriously think about where would you be without school what would you do with yourself maybe get a job but what if after its too late to go to school you lose that job then you have no qualifications and notyhing going for yourself so just go to school and the bestthat you can because tust me you really do need it

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm not sure you hate school for the right reasons......

but having said that.....

If you hate it then just quit. That's what I did. I'm not saying it's the right choice for everyone, but I dropped the heck out when I was 15, and never looked back. I got my high school diploma taking those correspondence courses they used to advertise on TV, and then earned a degree from a 2 year college just for kicks.

The correspondence courses were kind of a drag at times, but at least I could study and do the tests on my own time and work when I felt like it. I finally got my diploma at age 20, and was in no hurry to go to college but went later that year anyways. I spent three years at a 2 year school because I never wanted a degree to begin with. I just wanted to study all the stuff that I thought was interesting....what a concept!! Public school still hasn't grasped this one I guess. After a few years I had so many credits that they gave me an AA degree, which by the way is useless. I have since gone back many times to study even more classes, but only what interests me.

Well I could tell my whole life story, but I don't wanna make you jealous...

Just my 2 cents here...from a guy who turns 30 today, and has never regretted dropping out of high school, even when everyone told me it would be the biggest mistake of my life.

I still have the same opinion that I had 15 years ago when I quit. Public school is a joke. It's for conformists, robots, and people who lack real creativity or true grit. Dropping out may hinder you because society wants it to, but it definitely doesn't mean you're stupid or lazy.

PS I bet can still school 90% of high school grads in every basic subject, just as I did when I was in school.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

its not about applying myself. as ive stated i get really good grades on tests showing that i know the subject. then why am i receiving failing grades for stupid reasons.

why should i apply myself to something that won't benefit me in the long run. if i know the subject then doesnt that mean that the teacher did her job and im done?

why do i and many others have to be dragged along even if we already know this information or dont need it.

Sounds to me you got some bad marks on your report card and your post was just so you can relieve some steam.

However.

If you already know everything they teach you in HS then test out early and go to college. Take the semester of required courses and then go on to earning your degree in whatever field you choose.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

no report cards yet but what is "test-out"? is it exactly what it sounds like? a test you take and you dont have to take that class. because i have never heard of this and it would be a great option for me.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

reply to post by jd140

no report cards yet but what is "test-out"? is it exactly what it sounds like? a test you take and you dont have to take that class. because i have never heard of this and it would be a great option for me.

Been about 10 years since I graduated HS, so it might have changed.

Go to your counselor and tell her/him that you wish to graduate early and that you want to start college as early as possible. Their should be a test along with the SATs you will have to take.

Like I said it has been a while since I was in HS so it might have changed.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I'd advise against starting college as soon as possible, too many people do that and end up with useless degrees and a heap of debt. It might be a good lie to tell your school so that they can get you out early, but I'd go work in the real world, meet some interesting people, and travel around for a few years before starting college. Again, just my opinions not tryin to tell you how to run your life, you have public school for that.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
reply to post by jd140

I'd advise against starting college as soon as possible, too many people do that and end up with useless degrees and a heap of debt. It might be a good lie to tell your school so that they can get you out early, but I'd go work in the real world, meet some interesting people, and travel around for a few years before starting college. Again, just my opinions not tryin to tell you how to run your life, you have public school for that.

that sounds pretty much what i want to do in the first place. but living in new york city not to many places want to hire a 17 year old drop out. i honestly don't think i need 90% of what i am being taught. it is irrelevant.

here on ATS its apparently about denying ignorance and its pretty ignorant to say that without a high school and college degree that you can't do anything with your life.

alot of things have changed. schools have less funding then ever and with No Child Left Behind more and more kids are falling behind.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
DONT drop out, BUT if you do get your GED.

you are not FORCED to go to pubic school past 15 or 16 I think.

So go get a job and work. You'll find that much HARDER than High School. Dude, High School is easy and hell man. If you are having problems with your school work then you are NOT playing the system.

You play the public school system by doing these things:

1) Miss as many days as possible and come to school late (shortens the year and days...I missed 40 days my senior year....some schools will bitch at you if you miss more than 20 days but they can't do anything but threaten you)

2) You know if you are taking average or above-average level courses. They are called sometimes Honors for the hardest and academic for the easiest (which is criminally easy) or they have a moderate group which most kids are enrolled in.

Talk to your counsler and make up some bs about how you can't keep up with the level of work. Tell him you just don't get it. Say, I just don't understand this math I think I need to go to a lower math.

So you work the system by taking the EASIEST classes you can (The ones that the DUMBEST kids take) and DO NOT be embarrassed by this if your peers find out tell them YOU are PLAYING the system and that in the end it's IRRELEVANT what courses you take you ALL get the SAME DIPLOMA.

3) Basically enjoy and relax. High school was a time of great ease for me. It's way easier than getting a real job and you don't want to be a high school drop out, that screams "Im pathetic or I had a really bad life / was a drug addict / in prison as a youth"

You will find life difficult and way harder than it should have been IF you drop out.

Try to take some of my advise and MAKE your EXPERIENCE as EASY as possible. DO NOT break your back for these teachers. Make sure if your writing a paper that it's generic and DO NOT put in extra effort. The teachers are paper pushers, if you hand in a paper you will get a good enough grade.

Play a sport and get a girl friend. Doesn't matter if you suck at the sport or if the girl is UGLY. You have to have something to do so that SCHOOL becomes LESS important to your happiness/thoughts.

Peace.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by ConservativeJack]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
reply to post by jd140

I only said to tell them that he wanted to go to college as early as possible because I thought that was what he was getting at, wanting to get a degree in progamming.

You can still graduate HS early and not go to college. You take the same test, just don't apply to any colleges. If he wants to wait or not is up to him. Either way when he is ready to go to college his paperwork will show that he graduated early and that will open up a few more doors when he is ready.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ConservativeJack

lol that was a great post. unfortuantely i most confess that i came to high school with the thought that i was there to learn 3 years later i feel as if im losing IQ points.

as for the classes thing i just might do that. i rather get a high grade in a stupid class then a low grade in a smart class. the diploma is the same and if anything it'll give me more time to actually learn something of use.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

useless knowledge? I find nothing wrong with your criticism of school. I, for one, also found school to be full of redundancy and boredom. However, everything I learn and that I can continue to learn is beneficial for me as a person. This helps to think outside of the box, something that you say your teacher doesn't permit. How many game shows have you seen where the winner is somebody who able to answer a question with some useless knowledge? How many things have been invented because somebody had useless knowledge that they were able to connect to useful knowledge to produce a fine product? IMO, there is no such thing as useless knowledge. One may never use that knowledge, but it will always be there in case they have to.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I hear ya man.

I dropped out when I was 16 and got my GED. The easiest test I have ever taken.

I realized high school is a big waste of time. Even if some people think that you can learn something useful there, the environment is a big problem also.

Teenagers are probably the most vicious people out there. I got into a fight basically everyday I was at school. Most kids don't give a $hit about learning when they have to worry about getting their ass kicked because they looked at a gangster the wrong way hahahahaha

O and i'm in college now. University of New Mexico. College is just as big a waste as high school is. Sure some people will find the stuff in college interesting but I can't find anything that interests me. So i'm quittin after this term.

Guess i'm going to be at the lower class of society the rest of my life hahaha. People agree that's where Anarchists belong though.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

i agree with that. what i don't agree with is the fact that i have to take 8 hours a day of useless knowledge. instead of doing something that could benefit me.

[edit on 07/17/2008 by N. Tesla]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join