It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Day In The Lombozo House.. And Stuff...........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It's taken longer than I care to admit to post this thread.
Anyway, here it is......

This past Thursday was Thanksgiving. A day when we reflect on everything we are thankful for. A day when taking in WAY too many calories is expected. A day when we put petty BS aside.

Thanksgiving morning. Ah yes.

I pre-ordered a 30 pound turkey from the 'Super Store' I frequent on a weekly basis. They didn't get me my 30 pounder, but a 32 pounder! It was like a mini T-Rex! It took me longer to find a disposable aluminum basting tray to cook it in than you can imagine.

Now to the story.

I awake at 4:00 am and start to peel the apples. Yep. A dozen and a half apples. Peel them. Core them. Stuff the centers with butter and brown sugar. Put them in the oven. Rotate them every half an hour or so. Then after 2 hours, baste them, and throw on a sprinkling of white sugar...... Oh yeah baby. They get a crust on the outside, while the inside is soft and delectable.

While this is happening, and the house smells so good that GLADE candles only WISH they could duplicate the aroma.....

"Daddy?"

My best friend is standing there in his PJ's

"L'il DUDE! What's up?"

"Daddy. I don't feel good. I am so tired."

"Give me a squeezy Buddy."

He slowly came over and gave me a super squeezy hug.

"I'm tired Daddy."

I poured him a milk cup

"Here Dude. Go back upstairs and lay down."

"OK Daddy."

He took his milk cup and went slowly up the stairs.

I go to the TV, and go to the channel called 'Sounds of the Season'. Christmas Carols immediately come on. Perry Como singing 'There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays' comes out of the speakers. Cool. Yep. This works.

I just wish my bestest friend was her to help me.

I pull out a large frying pan. I slice and dice the onion. I peel the hot Italian sausage and throw it with the diced onion into the frying pan. Then I cube the bread, season it and bake it until the cubes are crispy. Throw the cubes in. Then the sauteed onions and sausage whith a cup of butter. Throw a bunch of raisins in, and a couple cranberries in, and that stuffing is ready to go.

The baked apples are pretty much done. Just need to warm them up right before supper.

The Turkey is freakin' huge! I take off the wrap, take the giblets and neck inside it then wash it off thoroughly. I take the stuffing and stuff this mini dinosaur to the hilt. Lace it up - hey presentation means alot! Season it with the secret lombozo seasoning techniques and pop it in the oven. (I'll let you in on a little secret. Baste it EVERY 20 minutes, and it will be perfect.)

Then I pepare the stuffed mushrooms so all I have to do is pop the tray in the oven. Boil the shrimp. Make the horseradish/ketchup dippin' sauce for those shrimp. Chill those shrimp so they are ready to go.

Peel and chop the potatoes so they are ready to become mashed. (Potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, butter, and the tiniest pinch of garlic.)

Green Beans Almondine - easy as heck to make.

Sweet potatoes. Lots of butter and brown sugar, and you have a very unhealthy but OH SO GOOD dish.......

Proscioutto with sharp provolone and fig spread.

Fresh pears stuffed with with bleu cheese

Oh man! The Turkey is filling the house with a mouth watering aroma.

Man! I miss my l'il helper!

The Christmas tunes are still playing, and I sing along with every one of them. I have the Christmas decorations out, and take a moment to look at them. The fire place is blazing. The Christmas Carols are playing, the house smells of fantastic food. I am blessed.

"Daddy."

"L'il Dude! What's up?"

"Can I help now?"

Everything is pretty much done at this point.

"Of course Buddy! Want to help me make the bread?"

"YEAH!"

I made the dough several hours earlier. It's already risen twice, and is pretty much ready to go.

"OK L'il Dude, get the rolling pin."

"The what?" He didn't know what a rolling pin was.

"That. Right there."

"This thing?"

"Yep. Nice job Buddy."

We roll out the dough and spread butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a dash of white sugar on the slab of rolled out dough. Then we cut and roll out the cinnamon buns. We make the icing - Confectioners sugar, cream cheese, and a little milk.

By now it's time that everyone will be coming over soon, so I get everything in the ovens.

Everyone comes over, and immediately the feeding frenzy begins. The wine and beer is flowing. The appetizers are slowly disappearing.

"SAVE ROOM FOR THE SUPPER!" I say.

Allright! The turkey is done. I carve it and set up the presentation. The turkey is fully carved on a platter with the wings and legs in a fashion where it looks like it is still a turkey - just no bones. Throw cranberries on it, dice a couple clementines and spread them out, and you have one good lookin' platter!

The table was set, and everyone sat. My uncle said Grace. Then I made a toast.

"To my family. Those who are here, and those who are not. Those of whom I know through written words only. I am thankful. LET'S EAT!"

Oh man! Did we ever! Thanksgiving Supper in my household is a SEVERAL hour event. EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT.

Then after Supper came the dessert. Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Pumpkin cheescake, coffee, and of course espresso.

Yes, the sisters three were all mad at each other. The mother in law was trying to figure out something which wasn't made properly. Hah! I beat you this year! Hah! It was all perfect!!!!! To her credit, for the first time EVER she told me how good everything was.

After Supper, I was so uncomfortably stuffed that I was too lazy to grab the remote to turn on the Eagles game. That my friends is saying something. We all sat in the living room and groaned. Ahhhhh..... good times.

My dog Yabaastad had a ton of leftovers. There must be something to this Triptophane thingy, because he was out like a light, and that NEVER happens when company is around. He's usually jumping around playfully and being a pain in the tooshie (In a nice way).

I hope that my entire ATS family had a great Thanksgiving. I was thinking about you. Well for maybe a second or two............

Hey Dad. By the way. I stuck my thumb in your Gransons pie. I hope it made you smile, 'cause he wasn't real happy about it.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by lombozo]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Glad you and yours had a happy Thanksgiving buddy!

What a spread you laid out man! Sounds delicious for sure.

By the way....that's the best dog name I've ever heard.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
FANTASTIC my Friend... FANTASTIC!!!!

What a rush of memories that brought to me...

Thank you for sharing

Semper

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Great story Lombozo. Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join