It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

chai

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
this stuff is so good it is impossible to not chug it all at once. it is perfect if you have a cold, it will warm you up and make you sweat it out. credit for this recipe goes out to a couple of my friends. i don't make this stuff, i just drink it. i never tried writing a recipe before but all of the measurements are right, i hope this will make sense.
first of all we always mix the dry ingredients in a big batch and refrigerate the extra for later. since 2 servings only takes 2 teaspoons of the stuff its lots easier to measure in large amounts. you will end up with about 12 teaspoons of the dry stuff.
for this recipe you need a small french press that holds about 1 1/2 cups of water. it is perfect for making 2 servings. if you want to use a bigger press just adjust to 1 teaspoon dry ingredients per serving which is about 3/4 cup. anything other than a french press probly won't turn out as good but you make your own tea however you want.

for the dry ingredients you need:
1/4 cup loose black tea (green tea might work, never tried it)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cardamon powder
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 dash of black pepper

mix all the above together in a bowl. set aside.

next you will need
2 tsp fresh ginger root, peeled and diced
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup milk
2 tbsp honey

in a pot bring water, ginger and cloves to a slow boil. in a separate pot bring milk almost to a boil.
put 2 tsp of the dry ingredients, and 2 tbsp honey (or more if you want) in a french press. pour the boiling water (don't need to strain the ginger) over it, stir and let steep for a few minutes.
in the meantime pour the milk evenly into two coffee mugs. this should fill them up about halfway. then stir and press the tea and pour over the milk. if you want to have a really good day, put some whipped cream on top.
the rest of the dry ingredients you can put in a baggy and stick it in the fridge for later. this way next time you want a cup, you won't have to go thru all that trouble.
i think that pretty much sums it up. again if you are using a bigger french press you will have to adjust a few things. i am not great at math so it is up to you to figure it out. try it and let me know how it is.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by siree

hi - chai addict here :-)

thanks!

just visiting this forum for the first time - and already I have a new chai recipe

I actually have a collection

you can use green - I've tried both - I like it with black tea

you can also make it by just putting all those ingredients (only less - since you're making a larger batch to keep) in a pot - with milk only - no water

simmer for a while (5 mins - or however strong you like it) - and then just pour it through a strainer to serve

makes a richer version - with your same recipe

also bypasses the french pass - in case you don't have one

I also learned - if you use your french press - some of the spices can stay in the plunger part of the press for a while - changing the flavor of your coffee

new topics

join