It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Skinny on Fat and Cholesterol

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
DevolutionEvolvd...

Thanks for starting this timely thread. I'm 41 and it turns out I just got my blood work done again and have high cholesterol... HDL = 48, LDL = 148, Total = 246, Triglicerides = 251. I'm also pushing it with regard to diabetes... Glucose = 98. My doctor says if I continue, I can expect a heart attack in 5 - 10 years
and has given me a couple months to get it under control via diet. If I can't, he wants to put me on Lipitor for the rest of my life.

I don't want to be put on meds, but I don't want heart problems in my 40's. I'm confused as hell regarding what I can & can't eat... low fat, low carb, etc. Seems like either anything or nothing depending on the latest "studies" or fad diets.

I read through your info, but unfortunatley, I can't play the videos. So I was wondering if you could, in layman's terms, layout what you think the proper diet should be, or direct me to some websites that could help. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Are you talking about balancing calorie expenditure and calorie intake? As long as you're eating the right foods and not taking it to the extreme, maintaining a small caloric deficit or caloric surplus does nothing. The body adapts to these small changes in energy consumption. That's why it's pointless to try and lose weight by simply eating a couple hundred calories less per day.

-Dev

Hmm, cutting calories is exactly what I did in 2007 to loose baby weight, and then some. i lost about 60 pounds that year.

Extremes *are* goiing to make an eventual difference of course. Particularely when the person is eating more than they need.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Ok. Well congrats on the weight loss. How many calories did you cut? There are a couple of problems with calorie restriction. It is common for people to lose muscle and fat when restricting calories. You've also got to consider malnutrtion.

Yeah, extremes are no bueno indeed.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mecheng

I'd love to help but I'm not a doctor and I don't know of any specific conditions that you may have so it would be best to consult with your doctor should you decide to follow any nutritional plan.

Most of the links I provided in the OP have great dietary recommendations.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, statins work by inhibiting a certain enzyme which, in turn, ends up stopping production of cholesterol inside of the cell. The body then turns to cholesterol in the blood and LDL is eventually lowered.

This same exact process is possible by lowering insulin levels and raising glucagon levels, both metabolic hormones. This method is completely absent of side-effects. Luckily controlling metabolic hormones can only be achieved through diet.

This type of diet isn't based on research or some type of fad. It's based on results. Results that have been seen for centuries. I'll give it to you in layman's terms. Low-carb, moderate-fat and moderate-protein.

50g of carbs or less a day, except on workout days, with the majority of your carb intake coming from fibrous carbs, like fruits and vegetables. Stay away from pasta, potatos, fruit drinks, soft drinks, cereal grains, breads, and the like.

Fats should come from natural sources only. No deep frying and limit your vegetable oil intake, with olive oil being one exception. Cook with coconut oil and real butter, not olive oil. Eat fish for omega 3's, mainly salmon. If you don't like fish just supplement with fish oil or salmon oil. Unless you have a huge problem of overeating, don't worry about how much fat you eat. Do supplement with anti-oxidants to negate any oxidation caused by increased fat intake.

Protein should come from red meat, chicken, fish, eggs and cheese. Much like fats, protein intake needs not to be monitored. The good thing about eating these foods with protein is most of them contain good fats as well. Also, eggs will not raise raise your cholesterol levels. Eat them, they're awesome.

If you can just stay away from processed carbs and focus on a diet that is high in fat and protein, you will get the results you desire. Following this type of diet, you will notice your cholesterol levels return to normal in 2-3 weeks. You'll notice your HDL and Total cholesterol might increase due to the increased amount of fat intake, but your LDL will lower and LDL size will increase, which is a good thing. Your TG's will improve, even with increased fat intake.

You'll lose fat and stay lean even though you'll be eating all the time, at least 5 meals a day.

I'm sure I forgot some things cause I'm in a hurry. Post your questions and I'll repost any information I forgot.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Ok. Well congrats on the weight loss. How many calories did you cut? There are a couple of problems with calorie restriction. It is common for people to lose muscle and fat when restricting calories. You've also got to consider malnutrtion.

Yeah, extremes are no bueno indeed.

-Dev

I cut down to about 1500 for a few months (I was not nursing) and this was fro a very balanced diet. I also supplemented with herbs and vitamins during this time.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Any one that is overweight and diets don't work for should have there insulin levels checked.

They may have a condition known as metabolic syndrome X or insulin resistance.

This is where the body makes to much insulin.
this causes the receptors for insulin to die and because the body can not use the insulin + sugars for energy in the body organs it stores the sugars as fat.

If you go on a low calorie (1000 calorie carbohydrates)diet you still will not lose weight.
why because your body still is storing sugar as fat.

You could go to 800 calories carbohydrates and you would still not lose weight.

The only ways you can lose weight with insulin resistance is one go on a atkins type diet and go to near 0 carbohydrates.

Or take a med like Metformin and go on a low carb diet.

Exercise with insulin resistance for weight loss is a losing game.
why because with insulin resistance the insulin + sugar can NOT get to the muscle cells because there is no receptors for it to supply the energy to.

So the more you exercise the tireder you get long before you even start to burn fat,

Without sugar + insulin = energy source the only other source of fast energy is ketones.
And to use ketones and lose weight you have to go on a atkins diet without carbohydrates.

This shuts down the sugar + insulin = energy source and you go to the famine source for energy ketones.
And you get ketones from body fats, fats and cholesterol.

If you have diabetes or heart disease you must talk to your doctor first before trying a atkins diet.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The problem with eating a restricted calorie diet is malnutrition. These types of restrictive diets cause weight loss, no necessarily fat loss. People will gain all that weight back and more, thanks to the los of lean muscle and the fact that they go back to eating more bad calories.

It seems that you already have a fairly sound diet, which may be why you lost all that weight. I would be careful with restrictive diets. Unless you increase protein intake you'll just end up losing muscle, and muscle happens to weigh more so you'll seem like you're losing lots of good weight when, in fact, you're just setting your self up for metabolic meltdown.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

That wasn't as much of a restriction as it sounds like, just to see the number. I don't eat as much as most people anyway so I'd say I cut around 300 calories, tops.

And yes, most of my diet was protien. I did my homework.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Okay advice needed...

I am underweight... I am six foot 3 , but can barely get to 11 stone, more towards the 10 stone mark.

I can eat a LOT, and it doesn't seem to go anywhere....

My diet ranges from things like:

Chicken, rice, eggs, brown bread, pasta, potatoes, tuna, baked beans, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, cereals (usually with honey), fruit (at least a few pieces weekly if not daily), cheese, milk etc etc etc....
Plus the usual student junk food such as pizza, pies etc...

But i'm no expert, I don't seem to be able to put on any fat at all....

I recently visited my doctor and he's recommended me go for a diabetes test, but i do come from a skinny family...

I'm in a bit of dilemma because unlike lot of people i wish to GAIN weight.....

Can anyone help or suggest some form of diet???

Thanks in advance

Mr - L

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Yeah, I figured you did homework. I know how you do....

-Dev

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Because further to my post (2 above)

Check this site out (for example)

www.bmi-calculator.net...

It tells me to avoid red meat etc, but other people tell me to eat red meats....

[edit on 17-12-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Before the big pharma squad took over the "panel of experts", the recommendations for cholesterol were 140 plus your age.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Just a few questions. How often do you eat and how much. Do you work out? If so, what kind of exercise?

You're an ectomorph. A hard gainer, in regards to muscle gain, that can eat whatever you want without physical side effects. The only way to gain muscle is to eat a lot and strength train with little cardiovascular training. Hypertrophy, or size growth, is your goal. Unless you're eating at least every 1-2 hours, you won't gain anything. Period.

Edit: Red meat is fine.

-Dev

[edit on 17-12-2008 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by mr-lizard

Just a few questions. How often do you eat and how much. Do you work out? If so, what kind of exercise?
[edit on 17-12-2008 by DevolutionEvolvd]

Hi and thanks for replying...

Well i tend to eat three meals a day (but i know now you're gonna tell me to eat lots more smaller meal
) , I used to be very fit, but as of late i've not had a lot of money, so haven't been going out a lot.

I used to be a very good runner, lots of stamina but as i say i've slacked a lot... and yes... I do smoke.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The biggest problem that most "hard gainers", like you, have is they don't eat enough. Exercising doesn't build muscle, it breaks it down. You build muscle during those 48 hours after a workout. Same goes with fat burning. You can burn all the fat you want during an exercise, it doesn't matter. You want to be burning fat when you're not exercising.

It doesn't matter what you do at the gym if you don't have proper nutrition.

My best advice is to just Eat A Lot of clean food. Protein and good fats. Stay away from carbs as they may cause you to lose muscle.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Thanks Dev...

Gonna plan myself a decent diet and routine for after Xmas...

Have a good one.

Mr - Lizard

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Excellent thread.

For those of you who have not read the following books and articles i encourage you you to.

From Author Gary Taubes

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control

And the Excellent article titled

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?

query.nytimes.com...

And the great cholesterol con from Anthony Colpo

www.anthonycolpo.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

That was just great Redneck. I am still laughing.

I cut down on the sugar eat lots of red meat, butter and NO SALT (KCl instead) My blood pressure and Cholesterol went back to normal. Amazing what a change in diet can do.

Veggie oils, sodas and candy (veggie oil and sugar) plus lots of starch seem the main diet in schools now. No wonder we have hyper overweight kids. I could not believe schools allowed soda and candy vending machines in the building. Glad I do not have kids

This is a great thread.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisJr03

but what about high blood pressure? How do you solve that issue; because its obviously "as bad as" cholesterol.

I managed to lower my blood pressure from 174/145 to 115/70 by diet changes. The biggest is NO SALT ( NaCL) instead use salt substitute KCl, since Potassium (K) helps lower blood pressure. cinimmon, nutmeg, clove, allspice (on my morning oatmeal) along with my Potassium rich bannana. Garlic, celery seed, vitamin E, C and B-complex vitamin (Folic Acid), Calcium and Magnesium.

Since I work at a farmers Market every weekend, I now eat grass raised meat and organic veggies and fruit. Stay off the sugars breads and starchy veggies like rice and potatoes. I found the biggest change was caused by going from NaCl to KCl

Hope that helps. Some High BP is not salt sensitive. mine took a couple of months to come down. I also got off the sugar and starches. Dreamfields makes a low carb no salt pasta I found to be a lifesaver when I craved something starchy.
Hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Magnesium!

Increased insulin and insulin resistance disables your bodie's ability to store magnesium, which relaxes blood vessels. Less intracellular magnesium causes blood vessels to restrict and blood pressure increases.

Once again, the simple act of reducing insulin levels will decrease blood pressure.

Also, as far as NaCl is concerned, high insulin levels also cause sodium retention, which causes water retention, which causes high blood pressure. Curing hyperinsulinemia will correct most chronic diseases.

-Dev

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join