It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec1st,2008 – Venus, Jupiter and Moon form “smiley face” - images

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hi Everyone

Heres a pic of the smiley face in the sky tonight over Kalgoorlie Western Australia. I have others i took on different exposures so you can see more of the shadowed moon but they ruin the smile!

Apparently this wont happen again until July 21st 2036

I am happy to email the originals to anyone whom would like a high res one. Im going through all the shots again now to see if theres a better couple. U2U me if youre keen

Venus Jupiter and the Crescent Moon

December 1st, 2008 – Venus, Jupiter and Moon form “smiley face”
In the last week in November and the first week of December 2008, the two brightest planets, Venus and Jupiter, will be close together in the evening sky, forming a spectacular double. The two are closest together on Monday December 1st, with Venus lying about 2 degrees to the South (left) of Jupiter. On the same night the Crescent Moon will appear just beneath them, forming a “Smiley Face”.

Upper diagram shows graphic representation of the event; lower diagram shows a more accurate representation of arrangement. Viewers in WA will see a better view, with the moon closer to the planets, while in South Africa the Moon will move between Venus and Jupiter.

Source

Keeping Smiling

themuse

[edit on 1/12/2008 by themuse]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
this looks incredibly awesome. shame it only comes once every 30 years or so. seems like someones trying to tell us something... the big guy up stairs.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
We're all the stars blacked out?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That's the cutest thing I've seen in a while.

Seriously, thanks themuse, that's made my day.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Hey jjkenobi

No they arent blacked out, Funnily enough there wasnt many stars around the area of the sky they were hanging out in. Normally on that side of my house theres a few regular big shiners. (west facing)

I will replace the image shortly with one so you can see the rest of the moon.

I live in 'the goldfields its basically desert and there isnt much ambient light ( its not a BIG city ) especially without the moon! Its a clear night here also.

themuse

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I just love it. You must have had a ball getting all those great shots, wow Thankyou.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
this looks incredibly awesome. shame it only comes once every 30 years or so. seems like someones trying to tell us something... the big guy up stairs.

The big guy upstairs?!
My landlord?!
Why would he try to tell us something?!

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by themuse

Thanks - seemed kind of strange not having a lot of stars in the background. Nice shots.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hi All

Its a pity the whole world couldnt see it. Its gone now over the horizon. I wish i stayed out shooting longer! If anyone has better images from West AUst or South Africa Id love to see them or do a swapseez!! I wish i had a better lens but mine are mostly wideangle lens due to the nature of my business.

this one shows some stars and a street lamp and you can see the rest of the moon

themuse

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Im glad i got to share with you MW and all on ATS. it made my day/ evening also.

if youd like a high res image u2u me

themuse

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
saw this late at night and wow it was weird and certainly noticable its cool
my lady told me she saw it in south africa and i protested as it was in the souther hemisphere- but i stand corrected. cool

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Hi antar

it definately was a fun surprise photo op. It was so low in the sky by the time i shot it (around 8.15pm West Aust daylight saving times.) its gone now over the horizon, i hope people further west than me get some nice shots.

themuse

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

Originally posted by N. Tesla

The big guy upstairs?!
My landlord?!
Why would he try to tell us something?!

cluckerspud

The thread is about the event and images.

So you want to contribute to the topic please do so.

Everyone is enititled to perceive and share their views about the event/topic in whichever light they wish.

Thankyou.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by themuse

Awesome Images Muse, post more if you can
S+F

-Ign0RanT

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
nice one - just checked stellarium and am on my way home now....Venue is behind the moon now so wont have the pleasure of seeing woth my own two eyes....but thanks for the picture...

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
How very cool! This reminds me of the event back in 94 - the moon was crescent and there was a star/planet that was just touching the bottom tip. I was too young then to think about taking a picture of it, unfortunately, but it was almost as good as this

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

I agree its a pity this type of 'fun' formation is not more regular and widespread.

Its a positive symbol for a change..
- a pleasant reminder theres a bigger picture outside of ourselves

themuse

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Yes, I saw that here from Guangzhou China, pointed it out to my girlfriend and we marveled at it for a bit, not knowing until just now that it was Venus and Jupiter. Really cool and glad I caught the view! Thanks for the info.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
oops, well I am new here, and tried to send a U2U to request the hi res versions of these amazing pictures, but I didn't reach the 20 post mark yet.
and not wanting to make spam posts just to reach the mark is it possible you could email me them at cmyersitpro@hotmail.com thanks!

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazz

Hi and Welcome Quazz

I have copied your email addy and will send the pix to you.

You can now edit your post and remove the address from public view.

have a great day

themuse

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join