It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would the US government warn us of a coming diaster?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Do you think the government would warn us of a coming disaster if they thought something was going to happen? We talk about preparing for trouble here on ATS, but has anyone really heard the government telling us to prepare for anything? Would they worry about causing a mass panic?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
If you are basing this on the 2012 trailer, that trailer was designed to sound exciting. In reality, it would depend on the sensitivity of the information. But if it was something extremely major scale, they would have to be careful. They may have game plans for such an event so as to inform the public but keep order.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by newagent89

Wasn't basing it on a movie. There is just so many bad things going on right now that people need to prepare for. Unfortunately most people won't do anything until they are told to do it.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Few members of the preparedness community rely solely on the government for information, most of us monitor multiple media sources both national and foreign, plus forums, printed articles and survivalist networks.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

Look at the current financial disaster. People saw this coming at least a year before it happened. Did the government warn the people? No, they denied it and continued to lie to the people telling everyone that "the economy is strong".... until it was too late for the average joe to do anything about it.

They will protect the corporations at all costs but the people mean nothing. I would not trust our government to ever tell us of imminent disaster.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer
Would the US government warn us of a coming diaster?

I highly doubt it. These are the same idiots that refuse to provide radiation tablets to those living around nuclear stations. Their LAME excuse is that they don't want people to panic and that if anything happened then they'd have everyone go to a distribution point to pick them up. bassackwards.

They wouldn't warn us.
They wouldn't know how.
You have to take care of yourself.

IMHO

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
It all depends on the size of the disaster, i would think. If it where an Asteroid the size of Texas coming towards earth we (Public) would all ready know about it. As for the Economy, anyone who follows the makets all the time and knows whats going on, would have an idea whats coming. Disasters like a Tsunami, Experts who watch the ocean bed floor and study it would know what areas are the most likely to fail and cause a Tsunami. As for the public knowing, who knows? mabay some?

The last thing the Goverment would want is panic. If the Goverment knew of some sort of disaster that was about to happen and that no body else knew about, i would think they would keep it to them selfs. They would be no point in telling the public. If it where a disaster that could wipe out life all together, what would be the point in telling the public?

The people in high places, would try there best to save them selfs with what they have got. They would be the ones in the know, and know whats about to happen.

If i was the President, Prime Minister or King, and i knew the Sun was going to blow up or that the Moon was going to crash into the earth, i would NOT tell anyone! Telling people that kind of stuff would lead to more disaster. Like i said, i would think it comes down to the size of the disaster weather or not any Goverment would tell joe public!

Anyway thats what i think!

[edit on 1-12-2008 by TSOM87]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Depends what kind of a disaster it is. Say, a hurricane makes lots of $$$ for many businesses, so that is always covered, and its true that its hard to hide a super=cane headed our way.
As far as other disasters, if they stand to make a lot of money, we will be told.
If its something inbound from heaven or another nation, or even
the powers that be, absolutely NO. The point here is to destroy and in the case of an attack, they want SHOCK.

And death.

Live each day as if it were your last. I buy shrimp every week, bubbly, when i can afford it, and i always have a good thing going with friends neighbors, and family. "i love you" always follows any conversation.
One never knows.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Shystargazer

Look at the current financial disaster. People saw this coming at least a year before it happened. Did the government warn the people? No, they denied it and continued to lie to the people telling everyone that "the economy is strong".... until it was too late for the average joe to do anything about it.

They will protect the corporations at all costs but the people mean nothing. I would not trust our government to ever tell us of imminent disaster.

I have to agree with you 100 percent on this one.

It is not in the governments' best interests to warn us of coming disaster. Take this whole economic thing, for example.

Had the government warned us somewhat in advance, it would have caused such a run on the banks, the collapse would be final and fatal.

Same thing if the government knew of some pending disaster that would render our infrastructure somewhat useless. There would be such a run on supplies and the ensuing panic and lawlessness would be too much for our system to bear.

I'm certain that they would inform those who 'need to know' and word would filter down, but that graduated 'filtering' would meter the ensuing panic.

By the time the average person found out, it would probably be too late.

That's how I see it, right or wrong.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

What more can one say than what DG said?

You must not live your life in fear of the what ifs, and once you have studied all the possibilities and made contingencies for what you can according to your financial ability, then live, love and laugh.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Live each day as if it were your last.

Most excellent advice. That's what a lot of the catholic saints have said through the centuries. If you live each day as if it were your last then you will have a more fulfilling and enriched/enriching and holy life.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is a joke right?

I am from the govenment... I'm here to hlep...

Please.

new topics

top topics

join