It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, duh! Things in the Bible that God did NOT need to tell us...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
This is in responce to a few of the recent "Science in the BIble" threads:

WE often think of acient man as stupid and infantile, which is not the case--they were just as smart as we are today, but employed different means of technology.

Therefore it stands to reason that thye were just as good as we are as observing the worlda round them anf forming conclusions. With that in mind, I would like to list some of the "Science" in the Bible, and explain why it is not proof of Divinity but of men observing the world around them.

Here are some examples of verses sometimes taken as divine revelation of "scientific proof," but are things that God really shouldn't have to tell Mankind:

Moisture goes through a cycle of evaporation and condensation:
“He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth; he sends lightning with the rain” Psalm 135:7

The earth is spherical in shape

Isaiah 40:22
He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
Note that the actual verse describes the Earth as circulare, NOT sperical--anyone can see that the Earth appears to be circular, just by
turnign around.

2Samuel 22:16
The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare at the rebuke of the LORD, at the blast of breath from his nostrils

We often forget to take into acount that many ancient cultures were sophisticated mariners; it isn't too much of a streach that they would have been able to see the bottom of the sea in some places, or drop anchor and feel it in others, and thus realize that it was there.

The blood sustains life
“For the life of a creature is in the blood…”Leviticus 17:11
Really, it only takes watching one man or animal bleed to death to catch on that "Blood is life."

The stars differ in magnitude
“…and star differs from star in splendor.” 1 Corinthians 15:41
This can be seen with the naked eye, and would have been particularly apparent in a world without pollution.

www.windmillministries.org...

Likewise, many of the verses pertainint to "clean" and "unclean" are easily observable facts of nature:

“When someone has a burn on his skin and a reddish-white or white spot appears in the raw flesh of the burn, the priest is to examine the spot, and if the hair in it has turned white, and it appears to be more than skin deep, it is an infectious disease that has broken out in the burn. The priest shall pronounce him unclean; it is an infectious skin disease. But if the priest examines it and there is no white hair in the spot and if it is not more than skin deep and has faded, then the priest is to put him in isolation for seven days. On the seventh day the priest is to examine him, and if it is spreading in the skin, the priest shall pronounce him unclean; it is an infectious skin disease. If, however, the spot is unchanged and has not spread in the skin but has faded, it is a swelling from the burn, and the priest shall pronounce him clean; it is only a scar from the burn.”
Leviticus 13:24-28

Please do not forget that although they did not have acess to microscopes and thus know the exact cause of infectuous diseases, the people back then were not so stupid that they couldn't recognize their syptoms and persentations. Some cultures would even have had natural medicines sufficient to easily treat the conditions described aboe.

And as for food being unclean or clean:

God states that cud-chewing animals with split hooves can be eaten (Leviticus 11:3; Deuteronomy 14:6). These specifically include the cattle, sheep, goat, deer and gazelle families (Deuteronomy 14:4-5). He also lists such animals as camels, rabbits and pigs as being unclean, or unfit to eat (Leviticus 11:4-8). He later lists such "creeping things" as moles, mice and lizards as unfit to eat (verses 29-31), as well as four-footed animals with paws (cats, dogs, bears, lions, tigers, etc.) as unclean (verse 27).

These animals are listed as "unclean" because of easily observable habits or characteristics that would make them unfit to eat. For instance, rabits can cause "Rabbit Starvation," pigs can carry trichinosis (Almost every major religion also recognizes a tabboo agaisnt eating pork) and honestly, it seems that the effort needed to hunt down a lion or tiger to eat it isn't worth the trouble.

He tells us that salt- and freshwater fish with fins and scales may be eaten (verses 9-12), but water creatures without those characteristics (catfish, lobsters, oysters, shrimp, crabs, clams, mussels, squid, frogs, octopi, etc.) should not be eaten.
Once again these animals either eat waste, or can carry harmful microorganisms; it doesn't take a lot of brain cells to put together elements of a diet and sickness.

God also lists birds and other flying creatures that are unclean for consumption (verses 13-19). He identifies carrion eaters and birds of prey as unclean, plus ostriches, storks, herons and bats.
Bats=rabies of course... and it's really beyond my why anyone would want to eat a carrion bird anyway.

Birds such as chickens, turkeys and pheasants are not on the unclean list and therefore can be eaten. Insects, with the exception of locusts, crickets and grasshoppers, are listed as unclean (verses 20-23).

Most of those insects not on the list are poisonous, or have no nutritional value.

Folks, stuff like this is NOT science. They may illustrate scientific principals, which the writers of the Bible could observe in practice, but they did NOT have the scientific understanding that we have today.

They did NOT know, for instance:
-How many planets are in the solar system
-How the periodic table of the elements is arranged
-The process by which microorganisms reproduce
-How a human sperm and ovum form a child, beyond the transmission of fluid and that the child grows in the mother's belly

And for the life of me, I can't understand why so many people feel that the Bible has to pass a scientific muster anyway, doesn't that completely undercut the aspect of faith?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Not sure what you are getting at with this. But what you are pointing out isn't the bible informing people really, just saying things are like it, or things are because of it.

Just 1 quick example. Life = blood.

10 ‘And whatever man of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell among you, who eats any blood, I will set My face against that person who eats blood, and will cut him off from among his people.

11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’

12 Therefore I said to the children of Israel, ‘No one among you shall eat blood, nor shall any stranger who dwells among you eat blood.’

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Note that the actual verse describes the Earth as circulare, NOT sperical--anyone can see that the Earth appears to be circular, just by
turnign around.

It depends on which translation you are reading.

The Douay-Rheims Bible - Isaiah 40:22

It is he that sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

In this translation, it says, "globe". A globe is spherical.

You do realize that Isaiah is written in a poetic manner and you really need to read between the lines. Otherwise, if you take poetry as literal, then people are grasshoppers. LOL.

As for the dietary restrictions you quoted, these are "exclusively" for Israel and not the whole world. Levitical laws subscribed to the Israelite are for the sake of disciplining them and to set them apart from the rest as a special people for God.

Also understand ancient cultures and traditions. It will never be compatible with our modern world.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I forgot to add the threads, I wrote that in response to threads like
this
andthis

where these verses are supposed to show that the Bible is scientificaly accurate.

I'm not trying to stand for or agains the bible here, but to call this science is grasping at straws, it's either logical conclusions, or, as you it amitheone, poetic liscence. (BTW I have never heard of that translation. I am curious was it written before or after the earth was known to be a globe?)

[edit on 1-12-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Great thread per usual asmeone2 threads!! I concur with the basis of it completely!

I do have to say concerning Isaiah 40:22 that this verse is easily explainable and actually is in harmony with your point. At the time that this verse was written, the view of the world by the ancients was that the earth was flat with a circular covering.

Isaiah 40:22 "he sits enthroned above THE CIRCLE of the earth..."
It isn't that this verse was referring to a spherical shape, but rather that their was a circular covering over the earth.

Just wanted to add because it is a common misconception that Isaiah 40:22 was speaking of spherical shape to the earth when in fact, it was not.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
Great thread per usual asmeone2 threads!! I concur with the basis of it completely!

I do have to say concerning Isaiah 40:22 that this verse is easily explainable and actually is in harmony with your point. At the time that this verse was written, the view of the world by the ancients was that the earth was flat with a circular covering.

Oh yes, that's also true--you're from TX too so you know how bowl-shaped, i.e. spherical, the sky can look. I was going to add that but my editing time had run out.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by amitheone

As for the dietary restrictions you quoted, these are "exclusively" for Israel and not the whole world. Levitical laws subscribed to the Israelite are for the sake of disciplining them and to set them apart from the rest as a special people for God.

The dietary restrictions are actually good for your health. I have not been sick since adhering to these dietary laws. Also because they were given to Israelites doesn't mean it was only for them. Even if it were, how do you know you are not descended from Israelite stock? 10 of the 12 tribes are now scattered around the globe. After the death of Christ, even gentile people are grafted into the olive tree of Israel (Romans 11). When the great tribulation comes, you will be able to tell those who are following the dietary laws, for example when bottom feeders (shellfish etc) begin consuming nuclear fallout, and pouted excrement, and are in turn consumed by hungry humans. The dietary laws are for a reason, greater than any of us know.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by doctorex

Yes, of course it is for health reasons-as your personal testimony shows, good diet and good health are easily shown to correlate

After a few generation of observing the relationship between diet and health I think the Israelites would have caught on a nd "forbade" these foods--for good reason.

I'd also be interested to see if the Ancient Egyptians, who had a rather sophisticated system of medicine, might also have regarded some of these foods as taboo, and thus that would have transfered over into Hebrew culture.

By the way, you bring up an interesting point with the radiation--that reminds m e of some of the current theories that the HIndu scriptures describe a past nuclear war, so I wonder if some of the worldwide taboos are an echo of exactly the kind of thing you describe, with bottom feeders getting more radiation.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by amitheone

I have to nitpick, I think the parts of the Bible where God commanded the Israelites to slaughter their enemies had a lot more pertinance to setting them appart from the world than their diet.

top topics

join