It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Born to Run? Little Ones Get Test for Sports Gene

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Born to Run? Little Ones Get Test for Sports Gene

www.nytimes.com

In health-conscious, sports-oriented Boulder, Atlas Sports Genetics is playing into the obsessions of parents by offering a $149 test that aims to predict a child’s natural athletic strengths. The process is simple. Swab inside the child’s cheek and along the gums to collect DNA and return it to a lab for analysis of ACTN3, one gene among more than 20,000 in the human genome.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The test’s goal is to determine whether a person would be best at speed and power sports like sprinting or football, or endurance sports like distance running, or a combination of the two. A 2003 study discovered the link between ACTN3 and those athletic abilities.

In this era of genetic testing, DNA is being analyzed to determine predispositions to disease, but experts raise serious questions about marketing it as a first step in finding a child’s sports niche, which some parents consider the road to a college scholarship or a career as a professional athlete.

Atlas executives acknowledge that their test has limitations but say that it could provide guidelines for placing youngsters in sports. The company is focused on testing children from infancy to about 8 years old because physical tests to gauge future sports performance at that age are, at best, unreliable.

So now instead of letting your child try out different things to see what they like best, you can test them and tell them they can't play soccer/basketball/baseball because they won't be any good at it.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Great idea? Or just one more way to keep kids from having to feel any disappointment so they are completely unprepared for life beyond their parents' houses?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Oh yay....
perfect for the obsessive "hockey" Dad

Poor little junior. I doubt this test can show if "little Micheal Jordan" actually likes playing sports.
Best athletes grew up enjoying the sports they were doing eg....Wayne Gretzky

Not forced onto it.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I thought about that too. Poor kids have it bad enough with all the parents currently pushing their kids to fulfill the parent's dreams of being in pro sports. Now they can be tested so dear old dad can say "See! You were born to play pro football! I don't care if you don't like it!" What ever happened to letting kids play the sports they like instead of pushing them into something for the parents benefit? Personally I'd rather my sons do something they love but aren't great at, then be forced into something they hate just because a test says they will be good at it.

new topics

top topics

join