It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JS Bach was an alien

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mozzy

Note the comments at that youtube post - one person states that Bach is a demonstration of existence of God. Now this is silly. Why complicate matters by bringing in both the immense question of God's nature and existence, and some murky notion of Bach as some sort of angel or messenger? Let's apply Occam's Razor here -- the simpliest solution is the best. Agreed: The music is so sublime, it is unworldly. Mathematical probablities favor the existence of life elsewhere in the universe. Ergo, Bach must have come from outer space.

I truly commend your appreciation of Bach, Mozzy, but what you mistake for Occam's Razor is just a syllogism. Let's not underestimate humankind's capacity for the sublime.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
the link was just to get my point across. i didn't write that, i just wanted to find someone sort of like minded to express what i was thinking.

the point isn't whether bach was technicaly an "alien".

look at the tab from bachs preludes that have been transcribed for guitar. you can learn everything you'd ever need to know by learning one song. every song that bach writes has a new chord that you've never seen before.

the point i'm making is that bach's music transcends the "technical" dimension of music. less than half of the time does he actually slow down to record a memorable melody but his music is an actual language. call it math or whatever you want but it's more than that.

you can't say the people that pre dated bach were just as good if not better. the piano had hardly been invented and bach had mastered it.

beethoven spent for years writing some of his symphonies, mozart wrote a lot of "filler" music and stuff that sounds like commercials.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Personally I feel that music written by Johan Sebastian Bach to be very bland and repetitive, his music is like the McDonalds of the classical music sphere, yes he wrote something technically "new" each weekend (on sundays for church) in the form of a "canon (?)". Each one was just iterations of previous ones. And very little of his music is truly beautiful.

Granted for the majority of composers if you "published" every little scribble they wrote, they might be in the same boat. But it just so happens that Bach wasn't all that hot.

The final point I will make is that religious folk absolutely LOVE Bach, because his music is all religiously inspired. That is fine, but it doesn't mean it is incomprehensible and "divinely" beautiful. That, my friend is subjective.

I personally find the same feeling and description able to be applied to techno created by Paul Oakenfold, and most of Tchaikovskys (sp?) work, but many people would disagree.

henceforth this thread is interesting but really it is all opinion.

as is my post

thank you
for
reading

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join