It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK teaching Creationism as fact.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

The poll found that 31 per cent of teachers agree that creationism or intelligent design – the theory that the universe shows signs of having been designed rather than evolving – should be given the same status as evolution in the classroom, including 18 per cent of science teachers

31% is quite a figure, did these people always believe in or is this a new wave of thought brought about by the internet?

www.uncommondescent.com...

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Mozzy]

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Mozzy]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Firstly, the title is misleading and wrong. The Uk isn't teaching creationism as fact.

Secondly, there is no link to the article.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mozzy

The poll found that 31 per cent of teachers agree that creationism or intelligent design – the theory that the universe shows signs of having been designed rather than evolving – should be given the same status as evolution in the classroom, including 18 per cent of science teachers

31% is quite a figure, did these people always believe in Creationism or is this a new wave of thought brought about by the internet?

I wish they'd be honest enough to call it Biblical Creationism as I never hear of any other creation 'explanations' get mentioned. It's not really about 'intelligent design' or an alternative to science, it's about pushing a specifically Christian agenda.

If Christians are merely concerned with any idea that the present scientific understanding of evolution is flawed or has 'holes' in it, then fair enough. If that's their true motivation, they'd have no issue with other understandings of how the world came into being being taught instead. However, I suspect that's not going to be the case. It's the Christian way or the highway, right?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I guess it should be viewed as majority rule. But that doesn't really hold true does it? Science was never about majority rule and furthermore lots of these people are easily convinced and only believe in Creationism cause they were told to.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It doesn't necasserily have to be biblical creationism The Terra papers aren't based on the bible and they spread the idea of intelligent design. Anyway, don't jews and moslems also believe in creationism?

So stop picking on christians.
Anyhow creation vs. evolution => you've got to be [snip]

Due to the fact that I am weak and I love my ATS - account, I will leave the thread here!

BB,
Samuel

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aldolas

I actually find the notion of Aliens creating humanity quite intriguing and quite believeable. I certainly rank it higher than "God", but then could "God" be an Alien?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The enlightenment happened for a very good reason-why are we now turning our back on objective,analytical free enquiry and instead pandering to agenda based religious acolytes peddling ignorance based fear and superstition?
If extremist religious folk want creationism taught in schools so much then why can't it be in a separate class entitled 'Non scientific origin concepts' where they can learn all about other creation mythologies from Aztec,Korean,Eskimo,Viking,Polynesian,Hawaiian,Olmec,Roman,
Greek,Native American,Rastafarian etc.. religions?

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

If extremist religious folk want creationism taught in schools so much then why can't it be in a separate class entitled 'Non scientific origin concepts' where they can learn all about other creation mythologies from Aztec,Korean,Eskimo,Viking,Polynesian,Hawaiian,Olmec,Roman,

exactly, it's about popularity. the only reason christian creationism would be taught is because it's backed by "science". which defeats the whole point right from the start.

I actually find the notion of Aliens creating humanity quite intriguing and quite believeable. I certainly rank it higher than "God", but then could "God" be an Alien?

it could be, but the only rational reason would be retribution against us silly humans. why else would someone so advance go through all this trouble? surely machine technology would be much much easier to establish by such an advanced creature.

So stop picking on christians.

no one's picking on the christians, i doubt most christians even believe the creation theory or know what it is. which is why they have to teach it in school in the first place.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm an ex-christian and I personally believe in intelligent design done by aliens.
And I would like to remind, that creation does not equal intelligent design, does not equal evolution.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

There are some pretty funny creation stories out there that kids would love in a new class. Some involve the "Gods" vomitting up the world, others have them sneezing it out of their nostrils!

But certainly they should be taught, if they have to be at all, in a seperate class or in Religious Education, which already has to be taught in state schools anyway. it shouldn't be taught as an "alternative" to Science.

And what about kids who go to school who aren't Christian? I would not like my kids to be taught that Christian creation is a valid alternative to Science.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Excuse my french, but that's *snip* no way 30% of employed british schoolteachers believe in creationism. Some hokey, lopsided report no doubt. What a surprise.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
well believing in it and teaching it are two different things.

as long as you pay for it, that's what's important.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I wish they'd be honest enough to call it Biblical Creationism as I never hear of any other creation 'explanations' get mentioned. It's not really about 'intelligent design' or an alternative to science, it's about pushing a specifically Christian agenda.
the odd thing is they try and use exactly the same bad reasoning and attempts to discredit evolution as each other

However, I suspect that's not going to be the case. It's the Christian way or the highway, right?

im happy for any creation story to be taught in scinece as long as it can prove its validity beyond a book and belief

time for religeon to go do some of that evil science stuff they seem to dislike so much ...well only the bits that go against the bits of the bible they believe then lump them all into evolution

i suppose it would be harder to get others to accept and join in if you tell even maths proves it wrong

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aldolas

I'm an ex-christian and I personally believe in intelligent design done by aliens.
And I would like to remind, that creation does not equal intelligent design, does not equal evolution.

Id as a movment IS creation in a hat and a beard, its done in a way it will get support from people like your self

soon as its taught as real and science based suddenly the big book of Id becomes the big book of god

you beleive aliens made us right? so who made the aliens? super aliens of course, so who made them? super dooper aliens, so who made them?

its an infinity reduction it doesnt answer anything just leads to another question until you get bored of adding super and dooper and someone says it was god

evolution works and happens, so even if aliens did come and tinker around a bit they would have had to evolve them selves, so evolution still holds and answers the question without diving into a paradox and creating a false end point then giving it a beard and magical powers

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by karl 12

There are some pretty funny creation stories out there that kids would love in a new class. Some involve the "Gods" vomitting up the world, others have them sneezing it out of their nostrils!

Ha ha,thats a classic- you mean the universe and everything in it is just one collosal cosmic bogey?
Which religion is that?
I might join that one for a week.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yeah, I question the figure of 31%. I wonder hoe many SCIENCE teachers really believe in this?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
i guess the other 60% are following richard dawkins. ID is making it's way to the forefront of the popularity contest, like it or not.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Don't matter coz it's in the past and has no prediction about the future, and if you can't predict with it, you cannot set it tests and it is not science. Scientifically we model the mutations as random, personally we do what the hell we want.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

No. ID is for the intellectually lazy. It has no basis in evidence. It has no basis in fact. It has no basis in science. It only has basis in religious texts. There is no rational way for anyone to look at the evidence for evolution and come to the conclusion that it doesn't happen and that every species was made by god. It's about as ridiculous as a hypothesis as you can get. It in no way is equal to the theory of evolution. The theory of evolution is a scientific theory, while ID is a hypothesis - it hasn't even become a theory. And, as it is unfalsifiable, it never can. It's pathetic.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

its not winning teachers are just to scared incase they offend one

first pta meeting where some clown brings up ID at my neices school better be ready casue im dam sure gonna be ther and really make him look em look a prize fool

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join