It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go Dark/ Go Light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Just about every time I run a search on ATS the site changes from the dark setting to the Light setting. It's not a big deal, but it get's annoying after awhile.
At first I just thought it was a setting for searches, but it affects the recent topics page and any other pages I open.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Same thing happened to me tonight . . . I don't understand it either . . . Any Help???

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Apparently the google spider will encode "colorshift=yes" into the URLs it indexes, when it's crawling over ATS pages. That's how the "go light" / "go dark" buttons are implemented.

So, when you do a search, the URLs in the results that are displayed sometimes have "colorshift=yes" in them, which causes your preference to change when you click-thru that result.

Since the light/dark buttons change a persistent preference, they really should be in the "MemCenter" page. I can only assume the reason they're on every page is to make the search feature even more annoying and unusable than it already is.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Here is how to work around it.

1. I have done a search for "silly". I want to go to the last item on the first page, which happens to look like this:

Funny Quotes From Silly People!, page 1
Discusion about Funny Quotes From Silly People! in the AboveTopSecret.com website alternative topics discussion forum General Chit Chat.
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread124048/pg1&colorshift=yes&colorshift=yes

2. I notice the 'colorshift' in the URL, so I don't just click the link
3. I right-click on the link, and choose 'copy'
4. I open a new browser tab (ctrl+t in Firefox), and paste the url in the address bar (ctrl+v)
5. Before pressing enter to go to the page, I select the "&colorshift=yes&colorshift=yes" text and delete it.

That way the colorshift is avoided. Annoying to have to do that.

Edit to also add:
6. I am disappointed that the "Silly People" thread I found went no where, and repeat with other search results until my thirst for silliness is satiated.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Ah, well that'll explain it, thank you. Definitely an annoying bug there.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join