It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

switch to digital television

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
From the website:

"Why is America switching to DTV?

An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for other services. Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies, so they can provide consumers with more advanced wireless services, such as wireless broadband.

Consumers also benefit, because digital broadcasting allows stations to offer improved picture and sound quality. Digital is much more efficient than analog. For example, rather than being limited to providing one analog program, a broadcaster is able to offer a super-sharp "high definition" (HD) digital program or multiple "standard definition" (SD) digital programs simultaneously through a process called "multicasting.""

Source: Digital TV Answers; www.dtvanswers.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Your suburb is a little box on google. Your birth is registered. We are little ants in mazes that we cant get out off how much do you think we are not already being monitored. Of course they already know who you are in your little world(your little ant suburb) and know everything about you just by obtaining information to everything you subscribe too. Us humans all have this feeling in the back off our mind but we choose to ignore it even though they splash it infront of our faces everyday we still ignore it. They see you fart, pick your nose, sunbake nude etc becuase indeed we cant come to terms we are mammals to them with dumbed down brains.
How much off the maze in the little suburb you live in not a secret, your freedom is fake and we are in a matrix. Yet they laugh at us for thinking we are private beings.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
Well for one digital signals are more efficient. But I do believe the primary factor in this switch is probably greed. They can have more distinct channels with digital... therefore generating more revenue.

Yup, there are plenty of reasons why companies would want to switch over. But why is the government forcing the industry and pushing this forward?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If people feel so strongly about the notion that the government or some other interests are prying into your lives, the answer is very simple....turn the tv off. No more problem. In fact it could be argued that collectively the intelligence of society may potentially rise as a result. It's called the idiot box for a reason.

brill

[edit on 1-12-2008 by brill]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

Yes but did you get a $40 coupon to upgrade to all of those wonderful new toys?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
First of all its LAW? Why a law to switch to digital?

Four letters...

RFID

They want to free up these analog frequencies to use them for the RFID Chips they plan on implanting in everyone for the purpose of commerce and monitoring after the economy tanks the big one.

They are swaping out the signals and at the same time driving the economy into the dirt so the UN can urge us to form the NAU and consolidate our currency directly through the world bank. Then after they sponsor a massive ID theft op they will force everyone to get chipped and all currency will move into a digital crediting system.

RFID

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I find it interesting that a lot of folks compare this to other changes in technology and it still makes me ask questions like: When was the country forced to go from b & w to color TV sets? I still see a few b & w sets out there. Was the country told that their VHS movies would no longer be viewable because of the release of dvd's? If this technology is so great, then why arent we using it to fight terrorism? Don't our fighting men (and women) deserve the best tools to do their job? I think that maybe the US has seen what the UK has been doing for years and though it a good idea, charge for TV! With the switchover to digital TV a must, viewer have the choice of upgrading their set or paying for a digital service like cable. Either way Uncle Sam makes money in the way of taxes. If you buy a box , you are taking the chance that the box will not break down and forcing you to subscribe to a service to watch you TV. I have personally written to the major networks, and the producers of the few television shows that I do watch and thanked them for entertaining me for the last 40+ years and to inform them that I would no longer be able to view their media nor purchase their advertisers products because of the switch.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
RFID Chips operate in a large frequency spectrum making it hard to analog tv sygnal to come through
Hence digital signal. Since it is composed out of only 2 states, the low and the high, there is a higher probability of correctly distinguishing between the two. Therefore a tv screen without information that your chip is sending to hq, saying that you are watching a forbidden programm

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

Because the FCC oversees the use of the EM spectrum over the US, and has realised it's grossly inefficient to bathe everyone in analogue signals when a far smaller amount of digital signals will achieve even better results, freeing up the rest of the space for other users, such as the general public, various companies, and parts of the government.

There is nothing suspicious here at all. It's called 'progress', but I guess there will always be a few Luddites running around screaming like the sky is falling.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

The country was NOT forced to go from B/W to Color. Even after the introduction of NTSC color system, it was, and still is, backwards compatiable with the B/W receivers.

The country is changing to digital because A. It is simply better. B. This is not 1950 anymore. C. High definition pictures and surround sound. D. Uses far less power at the transmitter point (half of that needed for analog). E. Interactivity capabilities. F. Resolves alot of reception problems and interference problems encountered with analog. G. Allows for the broadcaster to send multiple sub channels and audio channels on the same carrier. H. Makes the entire system cross-compatiable with hi-def movies and 16:9 (1:85:1) screen aspect ratio without the "letterbox" effect that so many complained about with the 4:3 (1:35:1) aspect ratio.

The change takes place February 17, 2009. If you want to still use the old analog set, you can either subscribe to cable service, satellite service, or get a converter box.

This change only affects terrestrial transmissions. If you already are on cable, satellite paid service, it wont affect analog tv's because the analog tv is either using the coax feed from the cable/satellite box or a direct video (composite/componentRGB) feed. But you will forever see the "letterbox" effect on everything, shows, commercials, news, the works.

Its just best to get yourself a digital tv now and not worry about it. You will be glad you did.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm highly suspicious of the DTV switch. My family already has cable that receives a digital signal and I never really picked up a red flag. It was when they started saying that the switch was coming about by LAW.

You can still get a rotary phone.
You don't need a cell phone by choice.
You can still buy a b/w TV if you want to.

Now I don't pretend to think that they don't monitor the internet. In fact, I know they are. I know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of little spiders crawling around and collecting information to take back to them.

Now this TV thing...this makes me curious.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
First of all its LAW? Why a law to switch to digital?

Four letters...

RFID

They want to free up these analog frequencies to use them for the RFID Chips they plan on implanting in everyone for the purpose of commerce and monitoring after the economy tanks the big one.

They are swaping out the signals and at the same time driving the economy into the dirt so the UN can urge us to form the NAU and consolidate our currency directly through the world bank. Then after they sponsor a massive ID theft op they will force everyone to get chipped and all currency will move into a digital crediting system.

RFID

WRONG!!

The freed up spectrum, which goes from 52Mhz to 83Mhz which is Ch 2 thru 6, is going to be used by telecommunications industries, which they have already bought up that spectrum. HDTV will continue on Ch 7 thru 13 and the UHF spectrum from Ch 13 thru 69. Ch 70 thru 83 were allocated to 800Mhz trunking services back in the late 80's.

Please do some research before making claims. It is available at www.fcc.gov.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 21-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
I'm highly suspicious of the DTV switch. My family already has cable that receives a digital signal and I never really picked up a red flag. It was when they started saying that the switch was coming about by LAW.

You can still get a rotary phone.
You don't need a cell phone by choice.
You can still buy a b/w TV if you want to.

Now I don't pretend to think that they don't monitor the internet. In fact, I know they are. I know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of little spiders crawling around and collecting information to take back to them.

Now this TV thing...this makes me curious.

The converter box is for those who receive tv via rooftop antenna or rabbit ear antenna. Thats all, no mysterious conspiracy to take you over or mind control. And no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. You can sit there on Feb 17th and watch static and nothing will happen except you wont see any more tv.

Anyone on cable service, satelllite service will not be affected becasue those boxes already do the conversion from the digital signal to an anlog signal.

So if people are all uptight over this digital transition..guess what..it has already occured!!! This Feb 17th date is for over the air broadcasting only.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm not saying it's for taking anyone over OR for mind control. What I'm saying is this: There's not real need to make the digital switch through use of a LAW. It doesn't make any sense and it raised a few red flags.

See, people had a CHOICE of digital TV or no digital TV and different stations also had a choice of whether they wanted to broadcast in digital or analog. This law FORCES the digital change and that force is the cause of suspicion in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
I'm not saying it's for taking anyone over OR for mind control. What I'm saying is this: There's not real need to make the digital switch through use of a LAW. It doesn't make any sense and it raised a few red flags.

See, people had a CHOICE of digital TV or no digital TV and different stations also had a choice of whether they wanted to broadcast in digital or analog. This law FORCES the digital change and that force is the cause of suspicion in my opinion.

This "law" you refer to is not a "law". It is a move initiated to improve the television broadcasting service that started back in 1983.

There is no "law" making you buy a box. There is no "law" saying you must buy a digital tv or else.

The mandate is directed at the terrestrial (over the air) television signals, thats all.

No more fuzzy, snow filled pictures on the fringe reception ranges, no more noise, no more fading color, no more wasted energy at the transmitter.

Its just a better system that is a win win situation. But there is no "law" that says you HAVE to buy a converter box or a digital television.

Digital transmission began back in the mid to late 90's, mostly via satellite services. Those boxes are "converters" that transformed those digital signals to analog. Then cable companies started to transmit digital signals in the early part of 2000, and those cable boxes are "converters" doing the very same thing, converting digital to analog.

The over the air converter box is no different, and is only for those who get tv signals through the air from an antenna.

Its kinda pointless to be worried over nothing. If you got cable, or satellite, your already using a converter box that does the same thing for the over the air signals.

The change is for over the air signals..thats all. Other services, cable, satellite, have made that digital switch years ago.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I know the law doesn't say I MUST buy a converter box. The law says that all channels MUST be digital. I don't care how much of a blind eye you'll turn to it, but it's still a suspicious act.

<< 1   >>

join