It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Arkansas Earthquakes = New Madrid Warning!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

WOW, you haven't heard of Webbot?

It goes throughout the web and picks up words, then brings them back and puts them together.

It seems all of us together make a "super conciousness" and we know the future.

Webbot had warned about Bande Ache's earthquake and even said 300K would be killed and missing, they got the China's earthquake etc.

These Earthquakes that are suppose to happen in less than 2 weeks have been mentioned for over a year now (which means SUPER BIG).

The webbot has gotten everything on the tee about what has been going on.

check out the daily www.urbansurvival.com...

that is a daily of more economics of webbot.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Small earthquakes in Arkansas? Is Bill fattening up on McDonald's burgers again?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Thanks for the education on web bot, I did find a link to that event, very interesting and scarry, especially now with the science community being concerned about quakes in central Arkansas.

Web Bot Predicition

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Store as much water as you can. You can clean milk jugs and use them or, at this late date you may want to buy several 5 gallon bottles of water. Purchase as canned foods that can be eaten cold if need be. Also purchase dried beans, rice, etc. This time of year, make sure you have plenty of blankets, warm clothes, and some way to provide heat for cooking and warmth that does not require a dependence on the infrastructure. Do not expect help from the government. If an earthquake of the magnitude of 1811-1812 hits, the devestation will be so widespread that there will be no way for them to get to you. It's not that they won't try. It's just that they won't be able to reach you.
Fortunately, in this part of the country, community is strong. People help one another in time of need. Most of us will stick together, and we will do the best we can. There will be a few looters, a few outlaws, but they won't last long. If we can't find a tree, we can always use a firing squad. Those of us who beleive in the law will not tolerate the lawless. (I'm not talking about someone who might be trying to get food for their family. I'm talking about looters and such, who think they can just walk out and take over.)

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Another discussion from Armageddon Online, that goes a little more into depth on the recent Arkansas quakes . . .

A series of small earthquakes that rattled central Arkansas in recent weeks could be a sign of something much bigger to come.
By this weekend, seismologists hope to install three measurement devices to gather data about future temblors in the area. That information could show whether the rumbles come from heat-related geological changes or from an undiscovered fault — which could mean a risk of substantial earthquakes in the future.

"The potential for generating a high-magnitude earthquake is real," said Haydar Al-Shukri, director of the Arkansas Earthquake Center at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Five earthquakes ranging in magnitude from 2.2 to 2.7 have hit central Arkansas this month. Quakes with a magnitude of 2.5 to 3 are typically the smallest felt by people.

While hundreds of earthquakes occur each year, including several in Arkansas, the location of the recent ones give Al-Shukri pause. Arkansas quakes generally occur in the state's northeast corner, part of the New Madrid Seismic Zone, where three temblors with magnitudes of around 8 struck during the winter of 1812 and smaller ones continue today.

Full Story

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Oh, geez, great, now the webbot is talking about New Madrid.

Well, I figured we have been overdue.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Scary stuff. I remember seeing the show the history channel had about the 1812 quake. If that happened today I think it'd just about level everything. Most of the building this side of the country aren't designed with quakes in mind. Gotta track it down again, but I thought there was another fault running through NY also.

One other thing, on storing water, does anyone remember how much bleach to put in water to keep it pure? I think it's a drop or two to a gallon of water, does that sound about right? Also I know it's the pure bleach, not the scented kind.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by Chance321]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm in SE Missouri, about 30 miles from the Arkansas border and I didn't feel anything. Of course I slept all day but I'll keep an eye on the local news.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

Well, looks like you are in the middle of action! Please do report any unusually behavior other than small quakes, i.e. strange animal behavior, shifting landscape, the mississippi doing weird things, quicksand, etc.

Be Safe, you maybe in the middle of a geological storm!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I am curious as to how you prepare for a devastating earthquake.

Some tips from earthquake country:

Indoors (easy):
- re-arrange your cabinets. It's common here to keep breakables in the lower kitchen cabinets, and pots/pans/food in the upper cabinets - less distance to travel if they fall.
- Bolt things to the wall. Bookcases, china cabinets, etc. anything tall that can fall over should be firmly attached to the wall.
- Anything large that's hanging on the wall will likely come down - large pictures, plasma TVs, Guitars, etc. Be prepared for that.

There's a very good solution for keeping breakables in place: elastic bands. Seriously. Just put one under whatever it is you're worried about, and if the shaking starts, it will slow down the shake rate of the object. Cheap and effective. Likewise, putting things on wheels will allow them to move about and absorb the shake, rather than collapse or fall over.

Indoors (med-difficult):
- Replace all water and gas lines with a flexible hose with a few inches of slack (check what's code in your area) where they meet the appliance/fixture. The pipes in your house will move at a different rate to what they're attached to. A little line of flex hose connecting the water supply to the toilet can solve a lot of potential problems.
- ceiling fans/chandeliers: make sure that these are very well secured to the joist. Many are have a small wire to a wood screw sunk into the joist to as a failsafe. In a large quake, they like to swing around quite a bit - I advise beefing that failsafe up a bit.

Outdoors:
- Check the brickwork. If you have it, kiss it goodbye - especially if it's not structural (ie. applied in place of siding like most houses built since 1950). Not alot you can do except be aware of it, and know that if there's a big quake you should watch your head when exiting.
- Anything that can fall, will. Secure things around your property appropriately. If possible, park your car in an area where it's not going to be covered by collapsing brickwork, or be impaled by a basketball net falling from the roof.

If you're at the epicenter of an 8.0, none of this is going to help you very much - you will take damage, and if your building is not built to withstand it, the damage will be severe.

but - if it's between M6 and M7.5 (the largest I've experienced first hand), these precautions will help (barring structural failure). My first big quake (6.8 or so) left me with a lot of broken glass in the kitchen (I was left with a single coffee mug), and shopping for a new TV. The 7.5, after some re-organizing, resulted in minimal damage.

Hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
FEMA Study shows damage would be substantial if a 7.7 earthquake would hit the New Madrid Zone!

FEMA Study

Looks like somebody is expecting something, I hope they are not too late!

The study indicates that Tennessee would suffer the most damage . . .

Tennessee to suffer most damage

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

Thanks for the links

Many years ago my wife worked for a major industry that has interests in that area, they had 2 week courses to train them to deploy to that area in case of the next big one on New Madrid. Glad she is not working for them now

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SANTA CLAWS

Thanks, I am going to keep an eye on the USGS site and other sources, this maybe a developing situation . . . I hope not

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

Just don't wrap yourself to much up with it. Be prepared but don't let yourself get obsessive
. Web bot has been wrong many of times and earthquakes can be ready for the next big 1 for hundreds of years.

In the NW we use to be the next big thing for earthquakes and everyone said the juan de fuca plate is just waiting to burst ! Well I'm ready for it but if I had been holding my breath I would have been dead years ago.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Thanks, yeah I know it can be wrong, I am going to track to middle of December, I will lose interest by than if nothing else happens or is reported!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

You should have important papers, photos and first aid kit in a backpack as well as some bottled water, meds that you may be taking and maybe some granola/protein bars. Heavy-soled shoes too.
Just to take with you if you start feeling some shaking.
If something happens to your house, you will not know when it will be safe for you to go back to it. Also, the shoes help for walking on top of debris, mostly nails, broken glass, sharp edges, etc.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Another great problem is majority of structures there are not built to sesmic codes,one reason homes are so expensive in So Calif is all the additional hardware and shear panels in a home,one good jolt may flatten several citys,and those built with basements will have a basement filled with the house that once stood above it,kind of scary reading about quake in 1812,had it happened today the damage would be in trillions,and loss of life in untold amounts,could happen here in Calif also,but we are more prepared then any state or country in the world,

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

Yes, I would say always have your shoes or slippers nearby to put on in case of any emergency!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I was reading on another thread that there have been some quakes down in central Arkansas. Very Unusual. They don't get things like that.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I was reading on another thread that there have been some quakes down in central Arkansas. Very Unusual. They don't get things like that.

So far, there have been no quakes since Friday, there was a very small 1.6 near Marston, MO. Its been very quite, I don't know if that is good or bad?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join