It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Presidency Watch/post election & first 100 days

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I have to say that is imperative that states get the help they are asking for.

But why they waited this long to be in such need, why they didn't ask Bush for some bail out money then.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

But why they waited this long to be in such need, why they didn't ask Bush for some bail out money then.

imperative that we supply failures...

are you for real?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ConservativeJack

Yes, or states and local government will collapse then who is going to support them? the Arabs, China or Japan.

Well they are already as our nation falls deeper and deeper into debt.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

If states start failing because of a drop in tax revenues... which is what's fueling it... it will ripple across the economy and have a far more devastating than any of the banks going under.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Agree with you 100% marg!

If the states start going bankrupt, there will be no money for:
(of course these may differ state to state)

No state police
No DOT - no fixing roads, bridges, traffic lights
No child health services
No Bureau of Health Quality Management
No State Parks
No Department of Business and Professional Regulation
No State Universities
No Wildlife Enforcement
No state Department of Environmental Protection
No Department of Motor vehicles (DMV)
No Division of Hotels and Restaurants
No Business & Professional Regulation - no new business licenses
No state court systems

And many, many more things we take for granted that the state provides for us and these probably aren't even be the best examples!

Yeah, we don't need to let any state go bankrupt in my book

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by marg6043

If states start failing because of a drop in tax revenues... which is what's fueling it... it will ripple across the economy and have a far more devastating than any of the banks going under.

right, so tax the little guy more to prop up Park Rangers that make 206,000 out of California with tax-payer money

its silly. i have no problem with trash man. but accountability is not just a long word, we used to actually PRACTICE it.

put them on a short leash, tell them they NEED to cut back.

if they dont, EXPECT no help. expect to go UNDER.

WE LIVE in America liberals....don't forget where we came from and who we are.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The no taxes at any cost crowd simply have no clue as to what their taxes buy... they seem to think that state and federal governments can function just fine without them... its that or they just don't care.

Both are equally disturbing.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

Agree with you 100% marg!

If the states start going bankrupt, there will be no money for:
(of course these may differ state to state)

No state police
No DOT - no fixing roads, bridges, traffic lights
No child health services
No Bureau of Health Quality Management
No State Parks
No Department of Business and Professional Regulation
No State Universities
No Wildlife Enforcement
No state Department of Environmental Protection
No Department of Motor vehicles (DMV)
No Division of Hotels and Restaurants
No Business & Professional Regulation - no new business licenses
No state court systems

And many, many more things we take for granted that the state provides for us and these probably aren't even be the best examples!

Yeah, we don't need to let any state go bankrupt in my book

we wouldn't cut those programs LOL

we would REDUCE them and make them RUN more EFFICIENTLY.

you just propose we give them more money

you are a drunk sailor with other peoples money

what about your money? go donate half your pay check to the state park office, because we need to help these park rangers driving around in 100,000 state of the art, tax payer Ford Explorers with leather seats...

you dont live in the real world

if you did, you wouldn't just give these loser an open check book.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The no taxes at any cost crowd simply have no clue as to what their taxes buy... they seem to think that state and federal governments can function just fine without them... its that or they just don't care.

Both are equally disturbing.

im not a no tax guy

im a free market guy

you wanna call names

be my guest

government is too big

you think its not big enough

thats why I'm smarter than you

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I am not calling you names and I don't want that attitude to get established here... I have stressed a couple of times now the nature of the debate I want here.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConservativeJack

what about your money? go donate half your pay check to the state park office, because we need to help these park rangers driving around in 100,000 state of the art, tax payer Ford Explorers with leather seats...

You haven't even inquired what my attitude about taxes is... you are simply making assumptions and throwing around an attitude.

I will give you a metaphor from real life... I managed a kitchen in a restaurant whose owner was a tightwad big time... he kept our budget so tight that we had no wiggle room, no room to try new things and eventually no customers... he pinched pennies to the point that we could only function and that was it and so went out of business.

Are there excesses yes of course there are but at the same time a business or a government needs room (both financial and actual) or it simply cannot do its job.

Case in point here in Virginia the Dept. of Transportation's budget has been cut so tight that if we have a rougher than normal winter... either the roads don't get salted, or they get salted but later don't get maintained.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Strange how this is just about the first time that I can remember that states are saying that they are going bankrupt, hmmm, could it be the economy and NOT the way they are actually spending the money?

Hmmm, could it be that the unforeseen rise in gas prices, the economy (less sales tax revenue), and the rise in price of a lot of other things they had to buy (because the dollar was worth less) ended up digging deeper into the states budgets then they had foreseen?

They had planned their budgets at the beginning of the year after all, when things weren't TOO bad yet!

After all, who thought things would be getting THIS bad!

Hmmm! (rubs chin)

After all, you don't hear of states going bankrupt (maybe except Calif.) like this every year! Usually they handle their budget very well!

[edit on 12/2/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

Strange how this is just about the first time that I can remember that states are saying that they are going bankrupt, hmmm, could it be the economy and NOT the way they are actually spending the money?

Hmmm, could it be that the unforeseen rise in gas prices, the economy (less sales tax revenue), and the rise in price of a lot of other things they had to buy ended up digging deeper into the states budgets foreseen?

After all, who thought things would be getting THIS bad!

Hmmm! (rubs chin)

After all, you don't hear of states going bankrupt (maybe except Calif.) like this every year! Usually they handle their budget very well!

[edit on 12/2/2008 by Keyhole]

your right about inflation of goods.

because when you print too much money, the result is more dollars are chasing the same amount of goods and services

so the prices go up

thus, if you want to help local government, you would stop printing so much money and raise interest rates dramatically.

you really need to re-consider the substantial impact inflation has on our Country. if we could simply print money and never pay it back forever, we would be the smartest people ever. but were' not, the piper is coming. the credit card is getting rejected. printing the dollar to oblivion is the last thing you want to do right now but sadly its the only tool Bernanke and Paulson have. Its their hail mary. Print so much money that we can pay everyone back.

It's a dangerous game.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Totally agree with you there!

Kind of scary to think what might actually be in our countries economic future!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You haven't even inquired what my attitude about taxes is... you are simply making assumptions and throwing around an attitude.

I will give you a metaphor from real life... I managed a kitchen in a restaurant whose owner was a tightwad big time... he kept our budget so tight that we had no wiggle room, no room to try new things and eventually no customers... he pinched pennies to the point that we could only function and that was it and so went out of business.

Are there excesses yes of course there are but at the same time a business or a government needs room (both financial and actual) or it simply cannot do its job.

Case in point here in Virginia the Dept. of Transportation's budget has been cut so tight that if we have a rougher than normal winter... either the roads don't get salted, or they get salted but later don't get maintained.

you called me a no tax guy, which was an assumption. i said you think taxes are too low by default because your position is the government needs more money than it has now. a way to get the government money is taxes. so your position, I assumed base off of your post, was a hike in taxes.

the restaurant business is a very risky business. it's difficult to turn a large profit and usually the employees are low paid. there's a lot of compitition in the food service business. your boss was probably going bust the whole time and eventually he cracked. again, its not about giving you more money, if he gave you more money you wouldn't have been more productive necessarily. you think you could have changed the menu?

not every road should get salted man. salt the essential roads. you have to be productive if you work on tax-payer dime. I don't want understand how your roads wouldn't be getting paved or salted. You should phone your local County office. but would you really expect them to hire another truck driver just to get a few extra roads? that's a waste of money, the roads will naturally heat up and melt in a day or 2.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by ConservativeJack]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

you called me a no tax guy, which was an assumption. i said you think taxes are too low by default because your position is the government needs more money than it has now. a way to get the government money is taxes. so your position, I assumed base off of your post, was a hike in taxes.

not every road should get salted man. salt the essential roads. you have to be productive if you work on tax-payer dime. I don't want understand how your roads wouldn't be getting paved or salted. You should phone your local County office. but would you really expect them to hire another truck driver just to get a few extra roads? that's a waste of money, the roads will naturally heat up and melt in a day or 2.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by ConservativeJack]

None of this has to do with the subject of this thread which is the Obama transition and the first 100 days. I want to keep things on track.

I will say this I did not say that you were a no tax guy... go back and read what I wrote. I was saying that some either don't understand what their taxes pay for or don't care... that they just want to eliminate all taxes.

I was in the military and I saw an incredible amount of waste. I am all for watching taxes and making the government more efficient but I also understand that a government on a starvation diet is a dysfunctional government and if we just take an attitude of let a state fail assuming that it was mismanaged fails to take into consideration all the various facts including falling tax revenues because of a bad economy. Most states I have lived in did a pretty good job of keeping things on an even keel... much better than AIG that's for sure.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
families are down sizing

corporations are down sizing

local governments need to down size their budgets

watch Obama ignore local governments....he will be cautious. the governments you are talking about need economic growth.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

we wouldn't cut those programs LOL we would REDUCE them and make them RUN more EFFICIENTLY. you just propose we give them more money you are a drunk sailor with other peoples money

what about your money? go donate half your pay check to the state park office, because we need to help these park rangers driving around in 100,000 state of the art, tax payer Ford Explorers with leather seats ... you dont live in the real world if you did, you wouldn't just give these loser an open check book.

I do hope everyone realizes this is the REAGAN DOCTRINE at its BEST! We began to UNDO the Federal government when the Great Communicator came into office. He said among other words of wisdom, "The Government is the PROBLEM and not the solution." Odd, seems all those RICH guys on Wall Street who applauded Reaganomics are now calling on the government to save them. Reagan said, "I'll get the government off your backs!" as theorized by Milton Friedman. And the Neo Con junkies. The Free Market. Leave it alone he says, the Free Market will correct itself on its own! U N R E G U L A T E D!

And here we are. Down $7 t. and counting.

Thank you Ronnie, you and Dumbya have really mucked it up this time! No Virginia, there is no Santa Claus this year. We have to bail out the Rich and Famous know-it-alls.

Hey, don't blame me. I voted for Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, Gore and Kerry. It's you Reagan Bush sycophants who did us in.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Johnny see your comments section in your profile for my off topic reply . ConservativeJack you have the wrong end of the stick wastage in government spending never creates an excess in government services rather it creates an excess of bureaucrats . An example of this is the NZ health system increased government spending has meant that there is now more bureaucrats then doctors and nurses and there has been very little improvement in the delivery of services .

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
In the last six years of so, in order to finance the government spending and two wars, cuts to fund at state and local level was done.

In 2005 the trend to increased defense and homeland security spending at the expenses of services started.

The plan contains a 4.8 percent increase in defense spending and a 1.2 percent increase in spending for homeland security.

us.oneworld.net...

Now states are finding harder and harder to survive on revenue from their individual state taxes.

I Remember a long time ago that I said that as the Federal government cut its funds to states and programs so the ripple effect will be felt eventually.

Well is now happening, now that the new Obama administration is getting together to see with the governors we are going to start to know how deeply in trouble the nations individual states are.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by marg6043]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join