It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JFK: The Dallas Press Club 'Drinking Incident'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Mr Marrs

As you are undoubtably aware, on the night prior to the assassination of JFK a number of the Secret Service men were involved in a 'drinking incident' at the Dallas Press Club and later The Cellar night club. Most of those assigned to the security detail at Love Field and the follow-on car were involved in the 'incident'. Though most of the SS men present at the Press Club did not consume alcohol, the majority of those that did, were on duty the next day. Similarly, those that went from the Press Club to the Cellar were, in the majority, on duty from early the next morning.

There seems to have been a 'sweeping under the carpet' of the incident, and no serious reprimands, although drinking while on duty (which the SS guidelines clearly state being on such a tour constitutes being on duty 24/7) is a dismissable offence.

As you yourself were once the president of the Dallas Press Club I wondered whether you could shed any further light on the incident. Is there any 'inside scoop'?

(I must admit that I haven't read your book on the assassination, I have watched the film though, not a bad film but I do think Stone should have quit film making after Platoon. My point being...If the drinking incident is covered in the book...apologies, I haven't been able to find a vast amount of information so thought I'd ask here
)

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Howdy KilgoreTrout,

The Secret Service "drinking incident" is fully covered on pages 246-249 in my book Crossfire. But allow me to clarify some points for you. The incident took place in Fort Worth the night before the assassination. The Dallas motorcade was the second motorcade of Nov. 22, 1963. The first was that morning when the Kennedys were driven in a motorcade from the Hotel Texas in downtown Fort Worth to Carswell AFB, where they boarded Air Force One for the short hop to Dallas' Love Field, where it landed about 11:45 a.m..

So it was the Fort Worth Press Club involved. As you noted, I once was president of the Fort Worth Press Club and you are correct in stating that this whole affair was "swept under the carpet," with the argument that losing the president was punishment enough for the SS men involved. I could tell you much detail about this incident but here is neither the time nor place. I will just say that although Pat Kirkwood's Cellar technically did not serve alcohol, any one who was any one could get a gratis alcoholic drink. I know because I did. Also, the agents who were to protect JFK the next day did not "party." They simply sat by themselves drinking heavily and talking quietly amongst themselves. Their actions have been described as commandos bracing themselves for the next day's op. And it is true that when the shots rang out in Dealey Plaza, only SS Agent Clint Hill reacted. Hill was not at the Cellar nor was he originally supposed to be on the JFK tour. He was assigned to Jackie Kennedy and was brought along at the last minute due to her insistence.

Jim Marrs

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Marrs

Very many thanks Mr Marrs, your response exceeded all expectations and raises a few more questions. I read somewhere that you prefer posters to start a new thread if they have further questions so I shall do this.

Thanks again

(Apologies for the mix up between Dallas and Fort Worth, I asked the question on impulse and trusted my memory, not the best idea, good impulse though!)

[edit on 3-12-2008 by KilgoreTrout]

new topics

join