It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai Worries - (UPDATE) Political Upheaval Shuts Down Int. Airport

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Y. W. khun.
I thank you for the responses, and these new links.
Yeah, my signature sums it up right here in America, also, i'm afraid!

You're right- I see a small mention of the problems in Thailand on page 10 of the Chicago Tribune today. And a picture of police near Suvarnabhumi airport, in partial riot gear; helmets on, but visors still in the 'up' position...

Red shirts vs. yellow shirts... my goodness, if they clash, we'll see nothing but 'orange' ! just a little humor No, really, with both sides gathering in strength, and bombs going off, and everyone waiting for the decision on vote fraud; yikes!

I don't take all this lightly, as I see that you don't... Man oh man, life's supposed to get easier when we age, not more complicated!

From the pictures you posted (excellent quality, btw) I see what you mean; they look like they're ready for more kegs! just kiddin But looks are deceiving, we know they have an ex-general among them, and guns, and have announced thier intention to use them if needed.

I don't care for seeing military as the police, either, in any country. But if people start dying, in big numbers, directly because of thier reckless behavior, maybe it's needed in a limited capacity, only for the purpose of assisting to find a compromised solution. NOT rolling out in tanks!

If Handley's book is banned there, sorry, I shake my head at that a little.
Glad it won't ever be banned HERE!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Constitutional Court Outlaws Ruling Party

Just in,

Top Thai court bans ruling party

Thailand's constitutional court has dissolved the governing People Power Party and two of its coalition partners for fraud during the last election.

The parties' leaders, including Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, were banned from politics for five years.

But under the constitution, most of its MPs can keep their seats under another party name, and should be able to form another government, correspondents say.

Earlier, an anti-government protester was killed at a Bangkok airport.

The show goes on.

TRT, Thai Rak Thai (Thais love Thais) suffered the same fate, and now its reincarnation PPP, Peoples Power Party has to go down the line as well.

I don't know what it will mean, except for clashes between redshirts and yellowshirts.

Fighting in the street will now get serious. For Thailand NOT to lose face, authorities have to react now.

I can only see the military capable of restoring order, because Thais don't have the education of rational behavior.

But they have for obedience.

The party is over for now.

[edit on 2/12/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
One picture says more than a thousand words.

EDIT couldn't dwnl pics I wanted. Here's another (hope it works)

The one I wanted is in a slide show here

[edit on 2/12/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I would be posting here in depth however I am stranded in a remote 3rd world country and longing to get back to Bangkok, although we have just discovered our flights are cancelled.
It seems the PAD are attempting to overthrow a democratically elected government, who everyone knows is the pupper government of the exiled meglomaniac Taksin.

The rural poor have been lied to and manipulated by this man. He seems to thrive in the media attention, making out that he is an innocent vicitim and that he could save Thailand if he is allowed back.

The Constitutionasl Court have found his party guilty. He is funding militant activity to stir up trouble amongst PAD protests and make them look like thugs. No doubt there are rogue elements within PAD as well.

The pro royalist stance is very thai, and ironically the power base of the rural poor in the norh do not understand his motives, as they too are blindly pro royal.

If anyone cares to post a link that could show that Taksin is a credible man who cares for his people I would love to see it.

He came in to power, sucked the country to fill his coffers and is charged already and has fled to escape jail. His modern business approach did perhaps provide some benefit for Thailand as a lot of recent governments have been slow, and all are riddled with corruption.

The PAD are just sick of the blatent way in which he virtually said he could fix the country as long as no one questions his personal gain for doing so.
He evaded tax in his sale to Singapore of one of his telecommunications companies.

Rural thai are fed a different line as they are isolated and uneducted. They are simply bribed whenever Taksin is exposed. The system of pay offs is too complex for a westerner who has not seen S E Asian systems, but believe me it is possible for an extremely rich man to bribe the right village leaders all the way to the electoral polls. He has a well oiled propaganda machine.

Now he sits abroad hinting that the violene would stop if he is pardoned.
He is evil. His rich chinese heritage of survival of the fittest (or richest) is sad and not typically thai, although common in chinese business ethic.

He is ripping the country apart.

It would be nice if the airports opened. The airports are administered by Taksin family who all benefitted in the millions on that project. It did not have to close.

So if anyone here on ATS has some news that shows Taksin to be a truely honest and humble man who cares for his diverse prolateiat, please post.
I have heaps of time to read on ATS now I am stranded.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya parties disbanded

The Constitution Court on Tuesday ruled to disband three coalition parties, People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya, and banned the three's party executives from electoral process for five years.
e
In the fraud case linked to People Power Party, the high court cited the Yongyuth conviction by the Supreme Court as the ground to penalise the ruling party.

For cases linked to Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya, it invoked the rulings by the Election Commission as the basis to punish the two parties.

The nine presiding judges reached unanimous decisions against People Power and Matchima Thipataya parties. And they formed the eight-to-one decision to punish Chart Thai.

The high court opined that the punishment by disbandment was mandatory as sanctioned by Article 237 of the Constitution and that it had no leeway to selectively punish the party executives on the individual basis.

The Nation

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The announcement from Thai media.

Now the conditions of PAD seems to be fullfilled ...and the protest can end.

I doubt it will, because the same culprits, whoes parties now banned, will form new parties and go on with business as usual. Only person inhibited by the court order is Somchai, the PM, is out ...and that was the condition PAD did asked for to end the protests.

So com'on Chamlong, Sondhi, show some responsibility to your country.

But I'm not sure everybody is happy about the party is over. The bitter taste of victory.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by serpentine

Thanks for joining, serpentine.

No, you can't get find links proving Thaksin's credibility. Except from the business press. The Times interview maybe. Sure investors want him back.

..and afraid somehow, someday he will, now he have declared so.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Just out.

Bangkok's main airport reopens to cargo flights

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) — A Thai aviation official says that Suvarnabhumi international airport has reopened to cargo flights despite an ongoing siege of the facility.

Aviation Department general director Chaisak Anksuwan says cargo flights were authorized to land at the airport as of 9 a.m. Tuesday and the first flights arrived during the afternoon.

He said "several flights have landed" and authorities hoped the situation would return to normal "soon" at the airport that has been closed for one week by protesters.

The restoration of cargo flights was unrelated to an afternoon court decision cheered by anti-government protesters. The court dissolved the ruling party and forced the resignation of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

So it is going back to normal. Passenger flights takes more IT than cargo, but I still hope it will be opened for arrivals by Monday.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Finally some good news.

Protester group allows Bangkok airport to receive incoming flights

www.chinaview.cn 2008-12-02 18:40:23

BANGKOK, Dec. 2 (Xinhua) -- Thailand's anti-government group People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Tuesday agreed with airport authorities to open the Suvarnabhumi International Airport for incoming flights.

The PAD, which led protesters to besiege the Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang domestic airport since last Tuesday, paralyzing air service to and from Bangkok, has accepted the demand of the Airports of Thailand (AOT) to allow incoming flights to land at the Suvarnabhumi airport, according to a report by Bangkok Post website.

The first incoming flight to the international airport is expected to be within 24 hours.

The boarding procedure is dependent of fully working IT-systems. I figured that out. Arriving planes only need immigration's IT to be functioning.

I can only hope that the situation will be calm until the 8th of December, the date for a new government to be formed.

What comes then nobody knows.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The closest to an official confirmation.
www.bangkokpost.com...]Suvarnabhumi to welcome incoming flights

(BangkokPost.com) - The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Tuesday accepted the Airports of Thailand (AOT)’s demand to allow incoming flights to use Suvarnabhumi airport after the Constitution Court dissolved the People Power, Chart Thai and Matchimathipataya parties on charges of electoral fraud.

The first incoming flight to the international airport is expected to be within 24 hours.

Here's a picture of the king who has birthday on Friday. He is the real reason for them to straighten things now.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Great news! Glad the airports will start functioning again.

Nice picture of the king, khunmoon. He appears very young at 80.
Perhaps the declining on-line travel booking sites will perk up a bit.

Hope damage to the terminals isn't very bad, and the people can help form thier new leadership satisfactorily.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The picture of the king in my previous post comes from this article.

His Majesty the King yesterday reminded the royal guards to perform their duty to the best of their ability and be strong, patient and tolerant.

The King was addressing soldiers from 13 royal guard battalions who gathered at the Royal Plaza for their annual parade, which this year marks His Majesty's 81st birthday on Friday.

He didn't mention the present turmoil. We shall see if he will in his birthday speech on Friday.

[edit on 3/12/2008 by khunmoon]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join