It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real-life Furbys rediscovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Source

A primate species that looks like a living, breathing version of the Furby electronic toy has been found alive in the forested highlands of an Indonesian island for the first time in more than 70 years, scientists announced Tuesday.

Well, it turns out that this species of pygmy tarsier isn't extinct like some primatologists believed. Kind of a cute lil' bugger too.

Interesting traits include the presence of claws instead of the nails found on most primates, and their seemingly absent method(s) of communication (no observed habits of territorial scent marking, and what seems to be an absence of humanly-audible vocalizations).

Anyways, it's always nice to hear about life finding a way even when we humans have written it off.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

I need a breeding colony if these ,I'm glad they aren't extinct but fear that now that we have rediscovered them they will be

those are so cute

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
mmmmm he looks delicious!!!!!

Na, seriously...right on for the lil guys. Good on them for surviving. I agree it is nice to see that something we thought was long gone is still around somewhere...gives me freakin hope.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Those guys are too much, heh. They should be bred as pets. Don't get water on them or feed em after midnight, though, or they transform:

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

I always wonder, when I see the researcher holding the animals, why they don't have huge bite marks on them or why the animals are not constantly biting (even when the camera flashes).

Then I look a couple fingers down and see the claw holes and the wonder goes away.

Maybe the animals are tranquilized to a degree.

Gorgeous creature! I can see these being huge in the pet world. That's one way to bring them back in population, after one or two litters are bred. Just the fact that the animal isn't in the process of trying to kill the man is a good sign that they might be pretty docile.

Goodbye hamsters, hello real world furbies.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I wonder how they taste deep fried?

On a more serious note, there are still things on this planet we havn't discovered yet. Imagine what could have been found, if huge sections of the rain forest were not annihilated.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Nox Vulpes

What is that freaky little animal pictured in your post?
LOL
How cute is that!

Glad the wee lil *Furbies* are back!

Thanks for the post.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I wonder if he will look like stripe when he grows up???

[edit on 19-11-2008 by afaik]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I knew it! Everyone said I was crazy, but I was the one with the day and nightmares...and now, I am vindicated.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
You think they could add shark dna to them and we could have critters. A mean ball of fur with lots of teeth. It would make a great weapons systems until computers advance enough to build Autonomous Mobile Swords in the style of screamers.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

That little dude is an Aye Aye. Weird creatures, eh?

en.wikipedia.org...

Pretty strange stuff in the "Superstition and public controversy" section of the article...

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Nox Vulpes]

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Nox Vulpes]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
holy dog #!
it looks alienish

pretty cool though

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
DON'T PUT THEM IN WATER!!!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I dont know how yall think that thing is cute. Its scary looking. I mean, furry yeah, but look at the eyes man.

Imagine rolling over after just waking up in the middle of the night, and that thing is staring you in the face. just freaky.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Aww, no waterrr!
I loved that film! Gremlins! What was the cute ones name again?

Doesn't help but make me wonder, I just looked up the guy who 'invented' the furby as such, wondered if something inspired him to make the Furbies look that way? Doesn't appear so, so it is rather coinkydink that they're kinda similar look wise.

I just hope they don't learn how to talk... that'd scare the crap outta me!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
OK, now I've been looking at some other photo's, thought i'd share them with ya'll! (I hope my links work, if not, I may need help!)

This one looks rather cute:

As is this Marmoset, so teeeenie!

However....not too sure about this ugly little thing...

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by emmy

The last pic in your post was my old profile pic. It was removed because it was too big. So now I use the one to the left. I love tarsiers.

And to the person who said they could be kept as pets- when I researched them I found out that many of them kill themselves if kept in captivity. So unless someone somewhere has a natural habitat in which to breed them and let them live as animals they should not be kept as pets.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by emmy

emmy....emmy emmy emmy.....shouldn't we be loving of all of God's creatures? even the little ugly ones?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GetOutOfMyRabbitHole

but....but....but....they kill themselves?!
I is rather sad just now... booo! poor little cretins...

And midnight. Yeah, still gotta love 'em, but damn that one has eyes way too big for his head

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nox Vulpes
reply to post by redmage

Those guys are too much, heh. They should be bred as pets. Don't get water on them or feed em after midnight, though, or they transform:

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Ha Ha great post-as freaky critters go, this ones a hoot!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join