It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Obama the first african american president? I say no

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I agree Ashley. Just because someone talks about race doesn't mean it's racist. The OP is curious about something and I think he/she deserves to have the questions answered.

I wonder about some people jumping to a negative conclusion with nothing to base it on.

There have been other threads discussing this, so it may be closed, but not because it's "racist".

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican
There are already 2 or 3 "is Obama black" threads.
As I stated in those ones, does it matter?
As long as he does what's right for this country I don't care if he's purple with yellow polkadots and pink stripes.

Does it bother you that he's biracial?

[edit on 16-11-2008 by ashamedamerican]

I agree. Just lets get past the black/white/hydrid ordeal and just find someone who is competent to run.

[edit on 16-11-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The OP has a point, for whatever it’s worth. Instead of the first black president, perhaps he should be called the first president ‘of color’.

And as Ben Her so aptly pointed out, most Americans of African ancestry have at least some European blood in them. Being very dark complected in ‘the hood’ will earn you the nickname ‘black‘.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I don't see this thread as being racist.

Obama identifies as an African American/Black. He is married to a Black woman and has black children. He went to a predominately Black church. He did not go to a racially mixed church. So therefore he is African American/Black.

It is what is in his heart.

Most bi-racial people will identify with what society dictates to them. If you look more like a certain ethnicity than that is what society dictates.

I wish we could all get over our differences and look at our similarities instead.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think this article sums up the question nicely:

Finally, if one just has to ask the question, the real question should not be “who is black” but instead “who is white.” For if the theories of evolution and “out of Africa” are correct, there is only one “race” on the planet Earth and it had its origin in East Africa (around present-day Ethiopia) and then spread to all other parts of the world. Adapting to environmental conditions such as the degree of sunlight and developing in relative isolation, some groups evolved lighter skins and others evolved darker skins.

www.eurweb.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Layla
I think this article sums up the question nicely:

Finally, if one just has to ask the question, the real question should not be “who is black” but instead “who is white.” For if the theories of evolution and “out of Africa” are correct, there is only one “race” on the planet Earth and it had its origin in East Africa (around present-day Ethiopia) and then spread to all other parts of the world. Adapting to environmental conditions such as the degree of sunlight and developing in relative isolation, some groups evolved lighter skins and others evolved darker skins.

www.eurweb.com...

If so, why aren't Eskimo's, or the Inuit, the lightest skinned people of all? They’ve lived at a much higher latitude than the Irish for a much longer time, yet they have much more pigment than the average Irishman. There’s more going on here than simple adaptation IMO.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join