It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Obama the first african american president? I say no

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Is Obama the first african american president? I don't believe so. He is 50/50 with his parents being white and black. Why is he considered black other than the color of his skin? He's just as much caucasion as he is african american. He is not the first african american president.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
He is black,example whoisbarackobama.name... black...not white,black.... this thread is nonsense and so is your logic.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
So solomon you base this on skin color? That shouldn't be a factor.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
He is the first biracial president, simple. Race is a dead issue, we are all humans and we must recognize this.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Sucks for the first not biracial black President. Obama should get an asterisk in the history books just like Macguires homeruns.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by I See You

Well, he's actually more 'African American' (formerly literally) than most American-born black citizens. No, my comment is not about his birth certificate or location of birth issue- let's not go there. However, I am saying he has stronger African connections than most 'African Americans' and actually has relatives there and at one time had dual citizenship.

If you had simply said 'black,' then you make an interesting point. But...

Hopefully I have all my facts straight. If not, my apologies in advance.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
There are already 2 or 3 "is Obama black" threads.
As I stated in those ones, does it matter?
As long as he does what's right for this country I don't care if he's purple with yellow polkadots and pink stripes.

Does it bother you that he's biracial?

[edit on 16-11-2008 by ashamedamerican]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
AshleyD

I understand what you meant between african american and black. I meant black but stated african american because most see this as the correct way. I mean no ill words.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
So solomon you base this on skin color? That shouldn't be a factor.

oh shock horror,i base someones colour from their skin,would you prefer i use the colour of their internal organs? He is black...

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Ashamedamerican

It does not bother me that he biracial as we all are in one way or another. ex. I'm german,irish,italian and polish.

I don't mind as long as he does right.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Obama still had a rough time with racism when he was younger. So he is black since he was discriminated against as a youth.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This thread will be redirected, locked, or deleted by a mod in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Thanks in advance to the mods...

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

No worries. I didn't see it that way at all. I was the one being pedantic but wanted to bring in a different perspective. You do raise an interesting discussion, though.

On a more humorous note, this reminds me of that Dave Chapelle skit and Wanda Sykes routine about Tiger Woods and how he keeps getting 'whiter.' lol

But, yes, technically he is biracial.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Go ahead MODS close this thread. I'm done and don't want to go with this. Already other threads.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Ashamedamerican

It does not bother me that he biracial as we all are in one way or another. ex. I'm german,irish,italian and polish.

I don't mind as long as he does right.

When you look at him, what color is his skin?
Wouldn't you find it even more surprising if everyone called him white?
Don't take this the wrong way but why make it an issue then?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Truth be told he probably has a stronger black ancestry than most African Americans.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Why is he considered black other than the color of his skin?

1. He self-identifies as "black".
2. Most black people in the US have white ancestors in their lineage. MANY American blacks don't look a lot like African blacks because of their white ancestry.

All of these people have somewhite ancestry:
www.black-cinema.org...

These people do not.

wonkette.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

To come to the OP's defense for a moment, I don't see this thread as racist and it did not come across to me at all as something he seemed overly concerned with but instead was just something he threw out there for discussion. It's an interesting question when you think about it. I'd say 'black' because, as someone else pointed out, 'white' doesn't make a lot of sense. Not really a big deal, in all respects.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yes. He is judge by his skin color.
It's where "black" and "white" come from. it's a description. Personally, the skin color is more 'brown" than "black" so I don't really understand where they are coming from with that description.
But yeah. it's entirely based on his skin color. Take five people and ask them if he is white or black, they'll tell you black.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Does it matter if he is black white or Purple,
No but that's not what the OP asked is it. I know everyone on this board is so darn righteous lol.

I think the question here is, Why is his African heritage pushed more then his European Heritage. He is Mulatto, he is from two different heritages. Nothing big I could care less. But the question IMHO is still legitimate, not because YOU do not care, but because of the hatred and other BS that goes along with not having the full story.

How many right wing nut jobs seem to not even know the true story of Barack Obama, think he Arab, African, gay or alien (crazy SOBs lol) not many.

Just from being brought up in an urban environment myself, Black people (where I lived) didn't call Mulatto people black, it was usually much worse. Until of course they run for president.

Does it matter? Not a damm bit. But you have to wonder why the media throws its blind eye to his other side. IMHO

top topics

<<   2 >>

join