It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very cool and life-like robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This is pretty cool and kinda strange at the same time.
How long before we see these guys at supermarket checkouts or
any other retail shop where humans will no longer be needed? lol..

link

[edit on 11/12/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hey kronos hope youre having a nice night. great find! its pretty crazy the leaps they are making. Obviously its still not totaly life like in appearence or movement but still really cool. Do you think they will ever reach the goal of A.I.? i dont think they can. probably can get close but you cant create a soul

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Once we get through the 'cringe-worthy' phase of life-like robotics, there will inevitably come a time when we will share the world with convincing non-human AI entities.

I believe however that the data storage necessary as well as the processing speeds will likely evolve much more quickly than the software that will be necessary to handle the quickening development of computing technology.

Even slower in development will be the physical bodies that will house these new beings. Ultimately it may actually be up to the robots themselves to create better and more useful physical bodies.

Likewise, they will more than likely see fit to improve on their minds as well. Soon after the first sentient being 'awakens' they will quickly surpass us as the most intelligent being on the planet -- then continue getting more and more intelligent at an accelerating pace.

Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be ended. ~Vernor Vinge, 1993

www-rohan.sdsu.edu...

[edit on 12/11/08 by Evasius]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 8bitbreakfast

Of course I dont for sure but the conspiracy mind in me tells me that
they are a lot closer to AI than we think.
There are already computers/robots that learn and learning is a key element in AI.
Once theyre able learn, then they will remember what their mistakes were and what their successes were,at which point they would avoid the mistakes and repeat the successes, to me this is independent thinking.
And yes, im having a great night, thanks for asking.. Ive been playing the new World of Warcraft expansion for the last cpl of hours lol, something ive been waiting weeks for.
Hope your night went great as well.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Wow, that's awesome. They still have a lot of work to do to get the robot simulating perfectly the muscles of our face. The first thing I imagined was that face in Asimo. If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, here's the link.

asimo.honda.com...

It's a robot that Honda is developing, focusing on movement and stuff. I don't speak english very well so I can't explain better, but check the link above, there's also youtube vids about this robot. I saw Honda showing this robot on Lisbon's Auto Show this summer, It's very impressive the things that Asimo does, like playing football or go up and down stairs, running, etc.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Now that's a great find!
S&F for you Kr0n0s...
I'm especially intrigued by the critique to this invention...

Kerstin Dautenhahn, a robotics researcher at the University of Herefordshire, believes that people may be disconcerted by humanoid automatons that simply look 'too human'.
'Research has shown that if you have a robot that has many human-like features, then people might actually react negatively towards it,' she said.
'If you expose vulnerable people, like children or elderly people, to something that they might mistake for human, then you would automatically encourage a social relationship.
'They might easily be fooled to think that this robot not only looks like a human and behaves like a human, but that it can also feel like a human. And that's not true.'
-emphasis added

One wonders, will A.I.'s be able to 'learn' emotions & how to 'feel'?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by KembaraLangit

One wonders, will A.I.'s be able to 'learn' emotions & how to 'feel'?

That would be the biggest mistake that we could make if you ask me. I think that emotions could make them dangerous.
Some of the worst crimes ever committed were a result of some kind of emotion. Anger, jealousy, envy and even love cause people to do things that they wouldnt normally do.
Putting those emotions in a being with metal instead of bones and hydraulics instead of muscles could prove to be very dangerous to a frail human being.
Obviously we are years away from any interactions between the public and walking/talking/thinking robots, so the potential, for what I said happening, is very low

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

It is true that some bad crimes were a result of emotion but the worst were the result of a lack of emotion!
Giving robots emotion and teaching them how to handle it, like you would any other child, would be a very positive thing.

top topics

join