It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick Surveillance: GOOGLE Reports FLU Searches, Locatons To FEDS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

SICK SURVEILLANCE: GOOGLE REPORTS FLU SEARCHES, LOCATIONS TO FEDS

www.drudgereport.com

Tue Nov 11 2008 15:34:50 ET

GOOGLE will launch a new tool that will help federal officials "track sickness".

"Flu Trends" uses search terms that people put into the web giant to figure out where influenza is heating up, and will notify the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in real time!

GOOGLE, continuing to work closely with government, claims it would keep individual user data confidential: "GOOGLE FLU TRENDS can never be used to identify individual users because we rely on anonymized, aggregated counts of how often certain search queries occur each week."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Additional Source:
www.scoreboard-media.com...
New York Times
ABC News
[edit on 11/11/2008 by greeneyedleo]

[edit on 11/12/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Everyone better go straight to WebMD if you need flu help!

Guess Google got a pay raise with the feds and are now helping them identify hot spots for disease epidemics.

But rest assured, they said they will keep all searches anonymous:

GOOGLE FLU TRENDS can never be used to identify individual users

This story is just breaking and not much more to it....still developing!

www.drudgereport.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/11/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
intresting, i can see the negatives but more possitives, will be good if theirs ever a sudden outbreak of an illness or disease.

on the privicy side of things, im guessing people will have to submit info to it and the tool wont be able to know a person is ill on its own, so like posting anything else online , dont expect it to be private, the internets not for that these days lol.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I am betting the government is contracting Google to track more than just medical queries. I wonder what other kinds of trends they are tracking via key word aggregation?

What other uses could this technology have to the government? Think creatively. . .

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Don't even use Google. I don't trust them for anything.

Use www.scroogle.org... which is Google without the cookies and tracking.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This just makes me want to scramble up their figures by doing a daily "Flu" google search lol!!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Oh, as long as they promise to keep everything anonymous, then I guess it's OK...

Imagine bird flu outbreak and you do a search and an hour later a bunch of soldiers in gas masks take you away to quarantine. Reminds me of a movie...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Sure, you know their corporate motto is "do no evil" I am just curious as to who defines that evil...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Seriously, there needs to be more moderation on this site

That site is just so.........

I know this is breaking ALTERNATIVE news but come on man

that site is a piece of nothing

don't give a bad name to ATS by posting articles from bogus sites

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Is the New York times legit enough for you?

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran

www.nytimes.com...

Or ABC News?

abcnews.go.com...

Don't use Google, use www.scroogle.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

www.nytimes.com...

Thank you! The story was just breaking and still developing. As soon as the other links were available, it was too late to update my OP.

Maybe a MOD can add them to my OP?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Seriously, there needs to be more moderation on this site
that site is a piece of nothing

don't give a bad name to ATS by posting articles from bogus sites

In fact drudge report has come up with some pretty sensational Exclusives in its time, though I am not aware of any recently, sometimes

just sometimes there is a diamond in the rough there... unlike

FAAL or such like,

Back on story,

Google trends is running 24/7 anyhow if you want to see who is searching for what its here:

Google trends

and funny enough when i just the link look at the result for the USA!!!!

Today's Hot Trends (USA)
1. flu tracker
2. flu symptoms
3. act scores
4. american humanist association
5. pastor manning

6. ram bahadur bamjan
7. kellyn lindemann
8. hopenow.com
9. google flu
10. act student

As above link at 15.25 gmt.

All they are doing is sending the detailed information to CDC rather than a researcher/Tech guy going through all the data.

On the subject of Google privacy safety as said USE SCROOGLE,

if you have a Gmail account they Keep the Mails for ever and every search you every do, from which ISP even if you close the account down, for ever!

Kind regards,

Elf.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Well my goodness, I thought I had heard everything but I guess I was wrong! That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. Great post!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by corvin77
This just makes me want to scramble up their figures by doing a daily "Flu" google search lol!!
That is just what I was thinking! "Mess with them!" Spread this around! lol

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Everything we hear is a cover for something else.

Google wanted a program to map queries geographically.

They made up a good reason to ease the consciences of folks working on the project.
"Hey, isn't it great we're going to fight the flu by keeping track of all flu-related queries!"

Obviously the program has nothing to do with influenza, as googling "flu" does not indicate you have it. Instead, Google will be acquiring the ability to zero in on any residence on (Google) Earth, and see a list of every search made from ISPs there, every email sent and received, and these will be able to be combined with travel details, (our mobile phones having kept track of us,) shopping records for anything bought with a card and a history of all our phone-calls if they want to look further.

A deeper layer will correlate this with all your contacts.

Zooming out, they will see the various searches people have made as colour densities, and be able to see at a glance where various "ideas" are concentrated. They will be able to see the connections linking these density nodes and trace them back to see who is propagating ideas.

This is what the Hopi prophecy of a land crisscrossed by a giant spider's web refers to.
The land is the whole Earth.
The spider has 2 levels. One lightheartedly points to Google's spider.
The other is the group behind this, poisonous, working together as one organism, but having arms everywhere.
This is a trap being built to enclose us. Those of us who wriggle against the system will, by triggering automated alert systems, be enmeshing ourselves in its clinging net of tell-tale threads.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
See it in action -
www.google.org...

Hey Kailassa do you have a link to that prophecy you cited?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Of interest here too,

Google own YouTube through Viacom.

Youtube keeps a record of the ISP address of EVERY video watched.

They have vans now with cameras, driving up each street they can in the western world videoing and taking photos of each house and street for google maps etc.

They have a history of supporting repressive governments, as in China where if you type in Human Rights Abuses you get a blank page, done by GOOGLE allowance from their Servers, not as a Chinese internet block....

One corporation then now knows what most people have watched online, what they have searched for, they know where this is done by from your ISP and cen even collate this information with pictures of your garden, and front door.

Spying by Stealth and the normalisation of it.

Also as mentioned above if you have their email account they keep every single email ever sent or received for ever, pity they dont seem to do much about the spamming and con gmail emails though!

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Right there with you, I don't like Google and never have used their services.

And for those that think that this such a great idea, keep in mind that now the increasing police state keeping track of the population hot spots.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

See it in action -
www.google.org...

Hey Kailassa do you have a link to that prophecy you cited?

Hopi Prophesy

There are a few versions. Just google Hopi prophesy and you'll find more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join