It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maldives plans to buy 'new homeland'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I think Al Gore has alot to answer for here. The new president has decided to save any monies from tourism income so they can 'buy' another country when thiers goes under water after global warming has taken effect.

The UN forecasts that the seas are likely to rise by up to 59cm by 2100. Most parts of the Maldives are just 1.5m above water. ‘‘We do not want to leave the Maldives, but we also do not want to be climate refugees living in tents for decades.’’

They are even considering Australia as one of thier destinations as we have so much "unused land". Somebody had better tell them there is a reason much of it is unused.

[url=http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Rest_of_World/Maldives_plans_to_buy_new_homeland/articleshow/3696018.cms]timesofindia.indiatimes.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The notion of any nation with a "Central Bank" structure basing it's monetary policy on 'Fractional Reserve Lending" actually managing to SAVE money is laughable.

I would like to see that happen.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What are you blaming Al Gore for?

The fact that by 2004 three of the Maldives Islands had become uninhabitable due to a rise in water level?
Tha fact that three more have become uninhabitable since then?

However much hot air Gore spouted, I really don't think we can blame him for global warming. It might be man made, but it was not made by just one man.

Residents on this group of islands are becoming increasingly squished into a decreasing amount of livable land. The are planning for the future. End of story.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I.m not balming him directly for 'global warming' but for the panic it stirs. They are talking like the Maldives will be going the way of Atlantis by the end of the year.
There has been discussions of the sea levels rising since I was a kid and I have seen nothing yet to show that we are becoming 'waterworld'.

Oh. And if they want to come to Australia, they can HAVE Tasmania...

top topics

join