It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The human equation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hello all.
What is it about humans that make us unique?
Is it our intelligence, ingenuity, creativity, technology, all of the previous or something else?
What is it to you, to be human?
Do you feel that we are meant for something more than to just exist on this planet?
If so, what is it and how are you trying to accomplish this?

What is it to me, being human? To me it's an exploration.
I do my very best to try and explore my mind and my abilities.
I do believe that we all have such extraordinary gifts and that they should not go wasted to justify a profit.
I am doing my very best to communicate my feelings to other people and to get them to do the same.
I believe, truly that humanity is on the precipice.
Either to our own self imposed destruction or to our mutual enlightenment.
Unfortunately, the current course of human events has made me look away from the hopeful side.
Yet, "One person can have hope enough for us all".

Please understand, I say these things with no self motivating need for attention. I simply wish to convey my feelings in the hopes that some others out there will know where I am coming from.
I cry for us all.

[edit on 9/11/2008 by reticledc]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

If we're limiting this to the realm of species that occure on Earth, perhaps the onyl thing that makes us unique is that we think we are.

The biggest difference I see is that every other species respects the niche it was creted to fill, but humans think it is their given right to own and change nature.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I do agree with you. Whenever humans become involved in the affairs of other creatures, it is they who suffer under our rule.
This is not always the case though. There has been, in the past, an equilibrium with the environment.
Look at ancient native Americans. Environment was the key to co existence.
they gave thanks to everything, from the buffalo to the simple grasses.
Most of us are born into environments where everything has already been taken care of for us. We never know where it is our food comes from, or what it took to get it there. We just remove from one shelf and place back onto another at home.
We are victims of our own convenience.

As far as us thinking we are unique, I would also agree with you. We have the guns so we are the boss, so to speak.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This post has a great title.

I would like to suggest something: There is one and exactly one thing that makes us totally unique from all other mammals, any other animal.

For whatever reason, be it our larger brains, or some other genetic mystery, we are the only animals that have a sophisticated LANGUAGE.

And please consider, regardless of what you may have heard in the media about apes or dolphins or porpoises -- no other creature is even close to meeting us at our level.

It is our language that allows us to express our creativity, build things, share and preserve knowledge, and -- yes -- theorize about the human equation.

Finally, I would say one more thing: simply knowing that language is our great differentiator does not help us solve life's mystery, or answer what the human equation actual is. But it at least allows us to articulate the question, which is really a very big deal in itself.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

"at least allows us to articulate the question, which is really a very big deal in itself."
Very excellent point.
We are able to articulate our thoughts in so many ways. I don't think that language is the only avenue for this either. Art, music, etc are languages in and of themselves. Each unique to their respective creators.
Art can inspire without ever speaking a word.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I've often thought about it like this:

We assume that the ability to question our place in the universt is beneficial.

But how different would it be if we could sit back and be content with our place?

If we didn;t have to fear the events of life and death?

If we didn't question if there was a God and how he would want us to live?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc

We are able to articulate our thoughts in so many ways. I don't think that language is the only avenue for this either. Art, music, etc are languages in and of themselves. Each unique to their respective creators. Art can inspire without ever speaking a word.

Well said. Substitute "Art" for language in my previous post, and it still makes a kind of sense. I don't know if lower animals create artwork (although the beauty of a beehive, for example, is very easily appreciated by humans.) Do birds sing to make art? I don't know. They can't tell us!

I didn't think about art and music. Very insightful of you!

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
I've often thought about it like this:

We assume that the ability to question our place in the universe is beneficial. But how different would it be if we could sit back and be content with our place?

It might be quite beautiful to do that, Asme. Perhaps we can achieve that temporarily, through meditation and relaxation. But I think it is very hard to do that permanently when you are an aware human.

It is kind of a burden being human. There are benefits, such as being able to communicate and share thoughts, but also drawbacks, such as perpetual discontent with ourselves and our environment.

We have the benefit of knowing life, and also the drawback of understanding that life is temporary, and must inevitably come to an end.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Yeah I know.

This is where I can't help but connect it to the Garden of Eden myth even though I'm not a christian.

Because it really does seem like the more we know, the more we screw ourselves over.

So I wonder if "The fall" was the moment when we began to think itw as more benifical to our species to dominate nature than to fit in to it.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Thank you for the comment.

I cannot help but feel that the very reason we seek to understand such things is to justify ourselves in the world.
I suggest that, we as human beings have such amazing gifts and abilities, but all the rules seem to be set in opposition of them.
It seems that a certain idea was brought forth some many years ago, and we decided not to let go of it.
This idea claims control over us. It holds us back.
If we are to truly achieve something, we must all be able to follow our own path, and make decisions based on our own discoveries.
If that is not the natural order of things, than why do we seek to question anything at all.
We just become tired of the constant bombardment of the opposing singular opinions everyone else has and we follow the tide.
It's just like anything else.
We are born into a society of certain values and customs.
We grow up believing them, because it's easier than the alternative.
Seeking enlightenment on your own is hard, and I can see why humans would cling to traditions.
Traditions and the like are useful guidelines, and everyone should be free to explore their own individuality. Whenever this happens though, on large enough scales, it becomes a "religious" experience.
It becomes a measure of control when a lot seem to share the same ideas.
We are as much victims of own traditions as we are of our own technology.
What it means to be human to me, is the exploration.
I am doing it now.
I am exploring the scope of my understanding of the subject matter I have suggested, looking for fresh perspectives, or differing ideas, to better my own understanding.
I will not let my pride get in the way, so if a valid point is made I will consider it. Admitting that there may be more you don't know than what you think you know is the first step.
My grand-mother had a saying. "You still have to learn what I forgot".

We all have gifts and abilities.
It's time we set them free.
We need them now more than ever.
It's not just us, or the country, or the continent. It's the world.
I think the following sums it up.

Meant to Live by Switchfoot

We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
Somewhere we live inside
Somewhere we live inside
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
Somewhere we live inside

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Joy and laughter, sorrow and humility. A Human being is made for love. We bind strong we break fast, we jump high we fall hard. The trials of the Human organism is to find truth, and to love truth.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Truth is something that is subject to interpretation. One person's truth may not work for someone else. This is the dichotomy of the human equation.
There are those things though, which seemingly apply to all humanity.
Life, liberty, happiness, understanding, and more along those lines.
The fundamentals of which every creature deserves just by being born.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I think one of the things about humans that is truly unique - is how much time we spend sitting around wondering what it means to be human

contemplating ourselves

sounds like the smart-ass response - but I really see that as being a clue

clue to what - I don't know

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I agree.
There is no right or wrong answer to this.
We all search for our own paths.
We all ponder our significance in this world.
We are UNIQUE!
There in exists a question. We have this wonderful gift of being self aware and hunger for knowledge, WHY?
Why do we look up at the sky and wonder?
Why do we look inwards?
It seems the more we look for answers, the more questions we find.
I believe we are meant for so much more. I believe we are not the sum of our chemical and moving parts.
We are not just alive, but we are ALIVE!!!
Everyone will find their own answers.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

...We have this wonderful gift of being self aware and hunger for knowledge, WHY?

Why do we look up at the sky and wonder?

Why do we look inwards?

It seems the more we look for answers, the more questions we find. I believe we are meant for so much more. I believe we are not the sum of our chemical and moving parts.

just wanted to repeat this part

of all the things to wonder about - of all the possible existing questions - these are the questions that get to me - and have been dogging me since I can remember

that doesn't make me unique, I know

the humans have been asking these questions since we were capable of asking questions

does seem significant - doesn't it?

:-)

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I believe, truly that humanity is on the precipice.

And if this world is lucky we will walk right off the bl**dy edge!

Name one living thing that ISN'T unique?

The arrogant ability for a human to assume they are something special is probably the seed of our destruction....sown at the dawn of man.

While some see wonderful things for us, nuture has suffered irreversibly for centuries at our disposal, and will continue to do so.

The fact that humanity will NEVER be happy and only sees evolution and advancement as an option is pathetic!

"IT" will never be happy unless "IT" can STOP and enjoy what we already have and create true equality within ourselves from it.

The haves and have nots are proof of this paradox.

Contentment seems to be the one true strength that humans are unable to accept.

Jump you f****rs!

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

A friend of mine, who survived cancer 3 different times, has a saying.
If your not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

If your not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

I wonder if my sister, who is recovering from Leukemia would agree with that!

She wishes the world would stop and think about what they HAVE and less about what they WANT.

How can they truly enjoy things if they are constantly searching for the "next" and "more". People try so hard to understand others and yet they don't even (try to) understand themselves. Will they only be content when they know everything?

I hope your friend is fine, but I wonder if he can be happy with what he has?

[edit on 14/11/2008 by nerbot]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I think humans are unique in the same sense that every single atom is unique. I think god wanted a way to experience itself, so it created infinite universes with infinite possibilities, so therefor, every particle and idea is a living being, and is god experiencing it self. I think ultimately, evolution leads back into the source, so I believe human form is basically like preschool. I believe this because I believe that Human form is the first physical form where soul memory was veiled, also the first form that has a brain with a mind with the capacity to access the soul from the outside in order to bring it "out"or awake. I believe animals have souls, they are not disconnected from them because they have no veil, they remember. Its when we get into human form that we really start our work. First we must realize that we have a veil, then, we must remember what was forgotten, then, we start working with our soul rather than auto pilot of ego, and we begin to take our works beyond the 3rd dimension, this is why I believe that evolution leads back unto the source, because I believe evolution is merely the evolution of a single thought that starts and ends in the same essence point notion or source. My mission as a human has been to attempt to figure it out through annihilation of all belief systems and a surrendering unto the wisdom of silence, and to help my fellow 3d players learn good sportsmanship on their way towards home base. The bases are always loaded.

[edit on 11/14/2008 by psychedeliack]

new topics

top topics

join