It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottled Water Quality Investigation:10 Major Brands,38 Pollutants

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Bottled Water Quality Investigation:10 Major Brands,38 Po.llutants

www.ewg.org

Bottled water contains disinfection byproducts,fertilizer residue,and pain medication....

Unlike tap water,where consumers are provided with test results every year,the bottled water industry does not disclose the results of any contaminant testing that it conducts.Instead,the industry hides behind the claim that bottled water is held to the same safety standards as tap water.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
When businessmen realized they could make a fortune out of bottled water,some scientists came out and said we should be drinking X amount each day.This helped more than anything else to 'sell' the idea of bottled water being better than tap water.

But now it seems that some of us have been right all along:Bottled water is a danger to our health.The question now is,will the governments do something about it,or will they continue to let the fat cats keep raking in the cash??

www.ewg.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Did you really expect anything less?

Evian water...... Naive when read backwards, could one feel any more foolish?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Good find, sending this to my bottle water drinking peepz.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
buying bottled water is insane. putting water in a container can be done for free in all western civilizations, and most other countries as well.

too bad the bottle is far more deadly than any concoction you could ever put in it.

say good by to seafood!

[edit on 7-11-2008 by drsmooth23]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

While the specific chemical(s) responsible for this cancer cell proliferation were not identified in this pilot study, ingestion of endocrine-disrupting and cancer-promoting chemicals from plastics is considered to be a potentially important health concern

Sounds like the problem aside from the Walmart/Giant brands listed may lie with the containers the water is put in, and chemicals leaching from those containers into the water rather than the water they put into the bottles. I also say that aside from the Walmart/Giant brands the other 8 "major brands" they supposedly found stuff in is dubious or else they would have listed those brands and what was found in them fearlessly, rather than holding that information back clearly our of fear of a lawsuit.

Bottled water is the #2 enemy of the environmentalist movement right now, trailing only gasoline. I buy and drink bottled water when I'm in Seattle. I do not like the municipal water here. When I am at home in the foothills, I gladly drink tap water as it's basically pure runoff from cascade snow melt. That said, I think it's laughable that people are brutalizing bottled water when carbonated soft drinks contribute just as much plastic waste, if not more, to landfills, contain scores more dangerous chemicals and substances, are addictive as hell, and use more water to produce than an equal amount of bottled water.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Did you really expect anything less?

Not at all.
I'm one of those people i mentioned in the OP.

But now it seems that some of us have been right all along

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
At 1,900% profit, it is unlikely that much will change other than a conciliatory comment here or there by the ubiquitously apologetic corporate-FDA, and some 'assurances' that it's being 'looked into' and "no one's health is at risk."

Bring on the Chinese plastics!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Wow thats great. And here I am giving my son bottled water because I'm scared of whats in the tap water... Time for a BRITA!! Thanks for the info!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
I think it's laughable that people are brutalizing bottled water when carbonated soft drinks contribute just as much plastic waste, if not more, to landfills, contain scores more dangerous chemicals and substances, are addictive as hell, and use more water to produce than an equal amount of bottled water.

thats exactly why coke runs Dasani. its cheaper than making batches of coke, plus they get the whole "were being good!" by providing something that people would be hard pressed to get otherwize.

I know of certain municipalities that have really bad tap water, but come on, do we really need a machine to fill up out water bottles? get a reverse osmosis filter if need be. I know alot of nice peoples jobs depend on this industry, and I do not wish them strife, but its little black holes like these that take money away from your family and more important, your children.

and we must remember, if your reading this statement, you are probably not in darfur, and your tap will not kill you.

tough economic times like these require intelligent beings to inventory what they really need

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Thank you for trying to help me budget my own finances. I think I'm doing an OK job of it myself, however.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by drsmooth23

Thank you for trying to help me budget my own finances. I think I'm doing an OK job of it myself, however.

understood. I was using the universal "you/your" for anyone who reads this page, and not really directed at you personally.

I just trying to show logic, which can sometimes be scarce here.

back on topic:

water is water

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
you gotta laugh!!! this kinda stuff (I mean bottled water) is marketeering at it best!!!

would you buy bottled air ( whilst in a near perfect atmosphere) just cos they tell you its better????????????????

would you believe them????

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Doesnt anyone else notice the trend here?

Seems as though at least once a week there is breaking news on this site about some type of mass produced food being contaminated with something.

Water, candy, nuking vegtables, meat grown in labs, tainted milk, odd bovine diseases, I could keep going.

No matter what we buy, how "organic" it is, or where it comes from, someone somewhere is profiting. The concept of a business is to increase profits. So more and more product is rolled out at the cost of safety. Assuming safety was ever considered anyways.

Drive a well for your water, raise your food or hunt it, keep a garden. The only way you know what is going into you when you know what has gone into your food.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I dont remember who exactly said this

"Americans are so stupid that I could sell them water."

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

would you buy bottled air ( whilst in a near perfect atmosphere) just cos they tell you its better????????????????

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would.As Einstein once said,"Two things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity;and I'm not sure about the universe."

A good example of this is people who carry water in slings and backpacks.

As the comedian Lewis Black said,"There are people in New York who leave their apartment everyday with a litre bottle of water in a sling....as if they was crossing the goddamn Mojave."

Here's his rant on bottled water in all its glory.
uk.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I drink bottled water. However i know and have visited the source that it comes from and i know it's the real deal. The only worry for me is the plastic bottles it's contained in and that has always been the worry i've had. The tap water where i live however is even worse. It's so hard it's difficult to drink as it leaves most people with a dry throat. So which should i choose?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

I always wondered if bottled water had the same sort of dangerous chemicals we know they're putting in our tap water, guess this is a yes. The amazing thing is that after all the studies are done almost nothing will be done to put a stop to the collective poisoning of the population. Its the way 'they' want it, to have control over even the most basic of resources, perhaps when the air is too polluted we'll have companies selling bottled air at exorbitant prices...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm glad that this one website has enough influence over you guys to make you stop drinking bottled water all together.

What about the sites that say Microwaves are safe and cellphones don't cause brain tumors.

What surprises me (actually it doesn't) about a lot of people on this board is that they are easily manipulated.

I'll stick with my bottled water

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Masisoar

Plastics have been linked very clearly to health problems as they tend to leach chemicals into whatever is stored within them. I still use bottled water simply because the water in my area is awful stuff. However i wish we could go back to the days of glass bottles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join