It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Common misconceptions about jesus.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
According to this quite interesting ´Jesus police´ website,it appears that there are some quite common misconceptions about the big man:

Click on link to see explanation:
www.jesuspolice.com...

Most common errors:

His Name Was Jesus Christ

Born on December 25th

Born in Bethlehem

Lived in Nazareth

Joseph was a Carpenter

Jesus was a Carpenter

Mary Was a Virgin

Jesus Was An Only Child

Jesus' Ministry was Only 1 to 3 Years

Jesus Had a Small Following

Jesus' Family Was Not Supportive

Jesus' Family Was Poor

Jesus Had Long Hair and a Beard

Jesus Wasn't Married

Jesus Was Nailed to the Cross

Jesus Was Severely Beaten

Jesus Died in 30 A.D.

Jesus Was About 30 Years Old When He Died

The Gospels Were Written in the 1st Century

You Suggest a Topic

Mary of Magdala

The Empty Tomb

The Star of Bethlehem

The Magi Visit Jesus

Prince of Peace

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
what exactly are you proposing? or are you leaving that up to other people so you can just kick back and enjoy the replies and points? forgive me, but this has no substance at all. i could make a thread called "20 things i like to eat" and it would be more informative than this is.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

I'm sorry....

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

this is because ppl that post this crap don't READ and study the Holy Bible regardless if it's KJV or not~!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think the site is quite interesting-sorry if it does not conform to your preconceived ideas

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
1 common misconception about me is that I like seafood when in fact I do not.

Oh and I am married.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
You forgot the 21st misconception!!!

21. He never existed, and if he did, he sure wasn't divine...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I got a major biggie to add to your list
That Jesus was the first and or only Messiah
In fact there were a bunch of them before and after Jesus came around...
One reason people claim Jesus was not a real person but a composition of several older messiah claimants is because there were so many to pick from it makes sense to invent one person to embody the best of all
Wikipedia link to list of List of messiah claimants

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
I think the site is quite interesting-sorry if it does not conform to your preconceived ideas

it's not about that at all, i am VERY interested in all things spiritual and religious, just click my profile and read a few threads. thing is, we need you to get a little more personal. you are not really thought well of here by linking us to something and basicly saying "tell me what you think" we want to know what YOU think also before we chime in, but you didn't even say THAT much either, like i said, no substance. that doesn't get you far at all here.
maybe some examples of how you felt about the misconceptions at least? don't just tell us it's interesting, hell the web is full of things interesting, tell us how this in particular is interesting to you, start a discussion.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
it's an interesting perspective, i'm not sure that it matters all that much though. is this supposed to shake faith or make me question my faith or what exactly. the words ascribed to jesus are pretty much ignored by your average christian, most of them haven't even read the gospels, questioning the date of his birth or weather he had long hair or not seems a bit.........meh.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Well thanks for the kind words,I see you point about not realy stating my position.
For the record ,it seems quite revealing that there actualy ´are´ differing schools of thought on even the basic attributes or heritage of the man known in the bible as jesus.
Perhaps it is precisely why the bible is not a historical document and the misinterpretations,inconsistencies and general context is so vague,ambivalent and contradictory that these supposed misconceptions occur.
I think rational objectivity plays a guiding role when attempting to discuss this emotive topic as so many other people (who may be righteously affronted by these views) tend to foster a bias relgious agenda and thus have a hard time being dispassionately impartial.
In my view these claims could very well be true-who knows, as one other poster has speculated,he may not have existed at all.
Cheers Karl

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Well thanks for the kind words,I see you point about not realy stating my position.
For the record ,it seems quite revealing that there actualy ´are´ differing schools of thought on even the basic attributes or heritage of the man known in the bible as jesus.
Perhaps it is precisely why the bible is not a historical document and the misinterpretations,inconsistencies and general context is so vague,ambivalent and contradictory that these supposed misconceptions occur.
I think rational objectivity plays a guiding role when attempting to discuss this emotive topic as so many other people (who may be righteously affronted by these views) tend to foster a bias relgious agenda and thus have a hard time being dispassionately impartial.
In my view these claims could very well be true-who knows, as one other poster has speculated,he may not have existed at all.
Cheers Karl

well it would be rude of me to request more info from you and to not reply when it is received, thanks for taking the time to do this. NOW i am interested in this thread. i believe this IS a fundamental reason why the bible is not a historic document, among others, but this would be one of the main reasons. i have many issues with the bible, but i am spiritual, so i kinda fall into a no mans land where i don't really ever get to talk to many people with similar views. It's my belief that the ideal taught in the gospel WOULD effectively get you "promoted" to the next level or afterlife if you were to live by it's docterine, but i do not believe whatsoever that it is the ONLY way, or even the most complete one. i believe in mysteries that are also NOT included in the bible, so i am left without an official "side" to stand on. but do yo usee how the content you have added here furthers the debate? that was all i was driving at earlier. i hope i wasn't to critical.
your friend in truth
publius

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
while i think it is a good idea to ask questions about things, i found the site incrediably one sided.

take the one about being born in bethlehem. the site says that there is no evidence that the town ever existed until the 3rd century. so it assumes that the city didnt exist in order to support its arguement.

which is reasonable, but not nessecarily proof. assyria had no secular evidence of its existance and people assumed that the bible was incorrect. yet in the 1800´s they discovered ninevah.

to just jump to conclusions like the site does on nearly all its arguements doesnt strike me as a person seeking truth. rather it appears that have an agenda, and would prefer to squeeze the facts into preconcieved theories.

some of the arguements are purely inconsequential.

yeshua or jesus doesnt make a lick of difference since they are the same name in different languages. like juan and john.

jesus being a carpenter or a house builder has not bearing on anything

personally i just found it to be another site that is trying to rile up some feathers.

new topics

top topics

join