It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scare tactics...road safety.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonfire2159

Actually they need to teach the more correct "defensive driving" course.

You can be the best driver in the world.. but the moron that is behind you has just as much impact on your life than your own driving skills.

I rode a favored motorcycle of mine for years.. then i had 3 road brothers die from being blindsided by drivers that were not paying attention.. all within a 4 month period.

That was enough to park my hobby and not look back. the tactics that worked 20 even 30 years ago just don't apply the same for now. The amount of vehicles on the road is a far greater number than those days long ago.

Drive like the guy beside, behind and in front of you just stepped in a car for the first time. It will pay off in the long run.

Happy travels..

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

well now...i'd say the man was right in what he said. as a former EMT i can tell you car wrecks can be very ugly. people, especially young people do not realize the extreme dangers when it comes to driving.

there is a reason why insurance premiums are higher for younger drivers, they tend to have more accidents.

i get the impression you feel as though you're just being lectured and that they're just wasting their time. if what he did can keep some of your classmates from driving like absolute morons then he did his job. such education is done to help prevent death and bodily harm.

i dont think most people quite realize just what a MVA can do the human body, those pictures show what can happen. they were shown to help you keep in mind when you drive what can happen if you drive dangerously, dont watch out for maniac drivers, etc.

part of it might have been to scare you and if so i dont agree with that. people SHOULD see the end result of dangerous driving behavior. people SHOULD see the end result of drinking and driving. if people were shown these things more often they might put a bit more thought into what they do before deciding to street race, run red lights, speed, weave in and out of traffic like a maniac. i agree with the education but to be honest such pictures are going to bother people and they should.

life and the human body are fragile.

i read an article a couple months ago where someone quite young, around 18 i think, is looking at prison time for killing his brother and 3 of his friends because he was speeding and driving dangerously. the car was stolen too but more or less a side issue to the fact his driving behavior killed 4 people in an instant. he has to live with what he did every day for the rest of his life. he wanted to joyride and impress his friends, instead his friends are dead and he's probably going to prison for 20+ years.

rather than viewing such education with contempt you should try absorbing it and considering it before dismissing it and viewing it as pointless or worthless. they dont tell you thins to waste their breath or time. they do it to help you learn something to prevent these things from happening in the future. thats the entire point of education, to not make the mistakes others have made before you. too bad people dont learn that the easy way.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I think I agree alot with the poster above, yes perhaps th images should have been shown, but maybe with a little more context. And done to show effects of crashes, not simply to scare people.

I also think that yes, perhaps some sort of invitation to specific driving courses would have been a good thing to add into the assembly.

The idea of the assembly was sound, the message just got lost in translation, and probably not helped by the speaker.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
we had a local fire dept show up to a vocational school i went to when i was in high school and they did a little thing on safety and had a little demonstration on fire and how to properly handle it. what they did was impress a bunch of teenager boys with the ability to make flames shoot up into the sky about 35 feet. it didnt seem to teach us much about how a fire should be handled but seem to instruct some on how to make a gigantic fireball.

as always it is never what you say but rather how you say it. with a better context and approach such education is more effective and yes ultimately the best education is from learning to drive as you age. experience teaches you so much more than a lecture and pictures can. driving lessons help, courses on safety AND why safe driving is important.

i know it can seem real boring to get a lecture about safety and it can be if its not done correctly. im very straight forward and direct about things when i talk to people about what it is ive seen. there's nothing quite like seeing a heart attack victim up close and personal for you to realize just how fragile life can be and how fast it can disappear.

i think most people, not just young people dont have enough respect for life from their own life to others' lives to other species' lives. i think for some life is a joke, something to play with. those are the people you wind up scraping off the road with a shovel after they did something incredibly stupid.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join