It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

32 people killed every single day

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I guess we should get rid of all knives too.

Seriously. You dont like guns, dont buy or own them. I grew up around them since I was a baby. Nobody in my family or anyone who ever visited us got killed or injured by a gun.

Its IDIOTS and CRIMINALS that kill with guns.

Besides anyone who thinks taking away guns is going to solve anything isnt using their noggin. There is a HUGE black market for weapons - that is where the criminals are getting their weapons

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

I guess you have never heard of gangsters getting guns illegally? They will get them one way or the other, and meanwhile, with a gun ban, we will all suffer.

Listen to yourself.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Also, please site your source for the info you provided in your OP.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
If a man has a gun and is trying to rob you (which I assume most of these shootings take place because of either drug deals gone bad or robbery gone wrong, but I may be wrong), his greatest fear is if you have a gun. Instead of getting rid of guns, everyone, especially law-abiding citizens, should be properly trained and equipped. I can't wait for the day when I'm 21 and can legally own a handgun! It's cliche, but guns don't kill people; people kill people.

Edit to add: as some others have said, banning guns does not get rid of guns, it will simply eliminate law-abiding citizens from getting guns. A great many criminals who get guns do so not legally, but illegally. So how is it a good thing that people who own guns for protection aren't allowed to have them unless they break the law like the criminals who get them?

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Alexander_Supertramp]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Oh wow im sorry. Its actually 79 a day.

www.stophandgunviolence.com...

As far as the england killings thats well known.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
also , all of you say that, but what if one day you were shot? what if one day you have a child, and they are shot and killed?

then how might you feel? that yourself having a gun is going to change anything? no. not having guns at all would change things.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well your numbers are off just a little... for 2007 it was around 46 a day
FBI Crime Stats 1988-2007 figures for 08 wouldn't be out until early next year...

anyway even that number is seriously flawed and reflects a small percentage of deaths.... many times a homicide will be officially listed as unknown... Certain Medical examiners and law enforcement agencies are told, if they can, push for the unknown judgement. makes their cities seem safer than they really are... this has been a major problem for years and has haunted a couple big national groups like Parents of Murdered Children POMC witch lead to another group Justice Project Real Crimes as a resource so families can get their stories out there and show the world just how corrupt the system truly is....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

The figures you have cited are from 1997/98.

link   

Originally posted by calihan123
also , all of you say that, but what if one day you were shot? what if one day you have a child, and they are shot and killed?

then how might you feel? that yourself having a gun is going to change anything? no. not having guns at all would change things.

Personally, my belief on gun tolerance does not derive from my 'feelings.' It is a constitutional right and one that should, rationally and logically, never be taken away. Besides, the American Revolution was fought with the colonists' guns. In the event that we should ever have to violently overthrow the government guns are absolutely necessary.

link   

5 children were killed every day in gun related accidents and suicides committed with a firearm, from 1994-1998.
An average of 5 children were killed every day in gun related accidents and suicides committed with a firearm, from 1994-1998.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, National Injury Mortality Statistics, 1994-1998
40% of American households with children have guns.

Peter Hart Research Associates Poll, July 1999
22 million children live in homes with at least one firearm.
34% of children in the United States (representing more than 22 million children in 11 million homes) live in homes with at least one firearm. In 69 percent of homes with firearms and children, more than one firearm is present.

www.stophandgunviolence.com...

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every Post Reply Page): AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts or simple "I agree" posts when replying to threads. If you need to quote a member's post in your reply, please ensure you edit down the quoted amount to the minimum needed to make your point. Overly large quotes or minimal replies are subject to warnings or deletion.

[edit on 5/11/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I have MANY close friends who are cops/agents and know of a few who have been shot. Guess what? They were shot with UNREGISTERED guns that were bought underground by criminals.

Please tell me how you think taking away MY gun is going to stop thugs from killing others with their illegal weapons?

How would I feel if my child was at a playground, fell from the top of a piece of equipment and die from hitting her head on the pavement? HORRIBLE. But the chance of THAT happening is far greater then her getting shot.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

i agree. i personally am going to be purchasing a firearm for protection of my family and home and i don't agree with banning weapons. my husband loves to say: better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I can read the website, you don't need to clutter this thread by copying and pasting an entire page.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
those are the facts. gun deaths come in second place only to vehicle accidents.

stop and think about it.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Great stats. Find out how many of those who died had multiple felonies, and a record as long as your arm.

Just guessing, but I bet most of them fall under those categories. You see, it's usually one felon drug dealer knocking off another, a drug deal gone bad, or another felon that should be in prison for past felonies, out committing others.

And I don't give a damn if they all kill each other off.

link   

I ride my bicycle more often than I drive my car.

I put about 100 miles on my bike each week, just running errands and commuting.

But I still have to watch out for cars.

link   

Originally posted by schism85

I can read the website, you don't need to clutter this thread by copying and pasting an entire page.

.. i started it.. i can clutter it

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

stop and think about it.

What is your solultion to the underground weapon problem were the criminals are obtaining their weapons?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Attacks in which a knife was used in a successful mugging have soared, from 25,500 in 2005 to 64,000 in the year to April 2007. The figures mean that each day last year saw, on average, 175 robberies at knife-point in England and Wales – up from 110 the year before and from 69 in 2004-5.

The world will NOT turn into a utopia if you take guns away. Humans have been murdering eachother ever since the first monkey fell out of its tree and got totally P*^&ed off.

also..
According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -
a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%
*taken from the Bureau of Justice Statistics*

"family, friend, or an ILLEGAL SOURCE = 80%"

Pass all the laws you feel like, laws cant keep anyone safe.

Take a look at the murder stats of Washington D.C. They passed a complete gun ban back in the 70's and crime only dropped only by a dozen or so off the average before the ban. Shouldnt it have completely wiped out gun crimes? Also, in the early 90's murders in D.C. spiked nearly four times (somewhere near 400 murders a year) the average number of murders (somewhere near 130 murders a year) in D.C. over the previous 15-20 years despite the gun ban. They dont work.

[edit on 5/11/08 by Pfeil]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

stop and think about it.

What is your solultion to the underground weapon problem were the criminals are obtaining their weapons?

well its obviously not a problem in some countries, and they have learned how to control it for the most part, so im pretty sure we could figure it out too if they can

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join