It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many People That Make Over $250,000 A Year Voted For Obama?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

Not to mention... I recall that the declaration of independence specifically stated that we pledged our individual and collective fortunes. i.e. we are all in this together, hook line and sinker.

Nice post Buck

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

my mother did

i did not, nor did my father

then again my mom is a die hard Obama fan, he can do no wrong

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I don't think most of us ar worried about the 250k a year folks going hungry. I think a lot of the 5 figure working families wonder where the taxes will stop at. Rich, wealthy and even well to do people can avoid taxes in many legal ways but it is easy for the IRS to get that employees taxes out of him. FICA is next to a big part of my paycheck every week. Every time somebody says we're raising taxes on the rich, they seem to screw up the definition of rich and the hard working folks get to find another paper to clip coupons from.
Time to forget the parties and go after the ones behind this mess. The State Department.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarSeaman

Wow, what did that have to do with ANYTHING? Try to stay on topic. Everyone I know that makes over 250,000 hates Obama. My father despises him, but is a bit under 250,000.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Oh but there are many types of rich and wealthy out there, those of us who own our business? ESPECIALLY one that has to do with the healthcare industry.

I wouldn't normally discuss my families issues with finances, but it does affect us just as much as it does the "regular working man".

This isn't a matter of whether or not I can continue my daily trip to Starbucks or OH NO MOMMY I CAN"T GO SHOPPING THIS WEEK!!??? or OH NOES MY PHONE IS THREE DAYS OLD I NEED THE NEWEST ONE NOOOOWWWWW. I don't do those things anyway, but hey I know and live near many people both adults and teenagers who do.

This is about our family business going down the drain, we were living the American Dream, but recently it hasn't been so dreamy, it isn't just "ya'll regular folk" who are being affected, car payments, groceries, hell I'm scraping by trying to get through school because I BARELY qualified for MINIMAL unsubsidized student loans because of the amount my parents made last year, and they REFUSE to help me out. We are experiencing the same things everyone else is.

You might be thinking "oh shame daddy's girl can't take a ride out on the town tonight can she?" etc. (because I've gotten that response before), it's never been like that for me, nor will it ever, my family worked hard for what we have, despite all the BS, for those of you who have EVER dealt with insurance agencies...let me tell you it hasn't been a walk down cherry pie lane. .. especially in the healthcare industry...they seem to be even more stingy about their money than every other field

I guess I'm saying all this because we "the rich and wealthy" are also feeling the brunt of this economic crisis.

The only people I see who ARE NOT affected by this in the least, are our Venezuelan neighbors, their money is tucked safe away in the Venezuelan oil reserves. and by neighbors I mean 96% of the population in my community.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Why don't we just compare the places Obama won with the charts here:

Highest Income Counties in the Country

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I know of 4 in my family who make over 250k a year and voted for Obama.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think the people that were born into the middle class or lower and now make $250,000 or more were more likely to vote for Obama then those who born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

I think a lot of those people haven't forgotten where they come from and are related to or are friends with people who are struggling. Those born wealthy believe that anybody that is worth less then them is beneath them.

People seem to think individuals enjoy receiving what many refer to as free handouts. But the bottom line is all the jobs that are being lost overseas or businesses closing down because they can't compare to mammoth stores like Wal-Mart equal no employment. People with higher education are having a hard time finding jobs. So tell the person who is $40,000 in debt with student loans and can't find a job tat they are free loaders...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Its funny how people define wealth and 'success' . Before I bailed out of the states , I had a business . Yes , we wrote off everything we legally could , but we did not eat out all the time just to get more deductions !. I always prefered and still do ,to reinvest as much in to my business as possible to maximise productivity so I can afford to take quality time AWAY FROM THE BIZ . Owning their own own business has a nasty habit of making some people arrogant and 'entitled' . Success is an excuse for excess. Business lunches that lead to alcoholism , weight gain and an early grave !

I saw all this crap coming many years ago . So we sold up ,downscaled as much as possible and now my business is a part time thing so I can focus on making our two acres as self sufficient as possible .

Because we dont use our business as a social climbing ego trip we are shunned by most people in the business community for not 'playing the game' . To often the 'networking' that business owners get involved in is a sleazy grey area of back scratching ,money laundering and tax evasion .
And when you swim with sharks long enough you are going to get your arse bitten . I lost count of the number of business owners who gave me 'sound advice ' that would have sunk me long ago if I'd taken it .

But we are debt free and thus stress free. No employees , no complicated tax returns . No taking the piss out of the tax man and keeping your fingers crossed that you dont get audited . One thing I learned .If you want to raise any american business mans blood pressure real quick , just say three lettters , IRS .

Self reliance has always been a big thing for us . The best thing I did was take down my business sign , send my wife to work while I renovated the run down shack of a house we got for cheap . Now we have a comfortable little home thats cheap to run , cheap to maintain . And because we did it ourselves we saved at least $70'000 .

We get by on about $500 AUS a week ! and we have never been more happy .

And because we are happy on such a low income we pay SWFA in tax .

If I were still in the US right now I would negotiate with a struggling farmer , offer my labour for free in return for being allowed to build a little shack in the woods and grow my own food . Then ride this one out as best I could .

Thats how serious I think the situation is in the states right now.

The rich have abused their privilages for way to long and their greed has bought America to its knees . Not all business owners are social climbing primmadonnas but a lot are . And Hunted is right . Philanthropy for the rich is just a cache buying tax exemption that gives them 'culture kudos' and old money status . Its all BS . Greed is NOT good .

Whats the point of success if you are so mean spirited that you then refuse to share it with those who you could not have got there without ?

So as far as I am concerned ,having screwed the working man for so long , I think its about time the big end of town coughed up some extra readies . I prefer to reserve judgement on Obama until he's been in office for a while , but I think its a great credit to white america that they have faced their racial demons and elected a black man for president . It gives me hope that the current situation is salvagable . Even if Obama does prove to be a tool.

Right now ,the only equity thats going to save a lot of people is sweat equity . Tax breaks are irrelevant when you have no job , no business and potentially no home . The writings on the wall people ,this situation is going to get a LOT WORSE .

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There's always loopholes for taxes (that some are already trying to find) and the rich have the lawyers to find them. They won't be struggling for money like us any time soon.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Actually, most of the super-rich supported Obama. Robert Frank wrote an interesting book, "Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich (Paperback)". Here is a very telling revelation by Frank about the issue this thread questions:

The Rich Support McCain, the Super-Rich Support Obama

In Richistan, I wrote about a new political divide emerging among the wealthy. While most Lower Richistani’s ($1 million to $10 million in net worth) were voting Republican, most Middle-and Upper Richistanis (those worth $10 million plus and $100 million plus) were voting Democrat.

Lower Richistanis tended to vote almost exclusively based on taxes. But Upper Richistanis placed a higher priority on longer-term societal issues like health care, the environment and education, which are traditional Democrat issues. Some say Upper Richistanis can afford to minimize taxes, since they have plenty of money even after the government takes its share. Others say the ultra-rich have better tax attorneys so they don’t care as much about tax rates.

Yet a new survey shows that the Richistan split is not only alive and well, but it may even be growing.

According to a new survey by Prince & Associates, voters worth $1 million to $10 million are favoring Sen. John McCain, while voters worth $30 million or more are favoring Sen. Barack Obama. The survey of 493 families showed:

More than three quarters of those worth $1 million to $10 million plan to vote for Sen. McCain. Only 15% plan to vote for Sen. Obama (the rest are undecided). Of those worth more than $30 million, two-thirds support Sen. Obama, while one third support Sen. McCain.

The reason? Taxes.

Among Lower Richistani’s, 88% cited tax policies as being “important” in making their decision. Only 11% cited the environment, 22% cited health care and 45% cited social issues.

Among the Upper Richistani’s supporting Sen. Obama, tax policies ranked last, with only 16% citing them as important. “Social issues” ranked first, with “policies dealing with wars” ranking second (67%) and Supreme Court nominations and health-care issues ranking next.
Of course, in today’s populist politics, the only thing worse than being the candidate of the wealthy is being the candidate of the superwealthy. You can bet this is one poll that neither candidate will repeat on the campaign trail.

But the survey offers an important insight into the effect of wealth on personal politics. Perhaps the old saying should be changed to: If you’re ultra wealthy and conservative you have no heart; if you’re wealthy and liberal, you have no brain.

Information on the book can be found here:
www.amazon.com...=ed_oe_p

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Obama was voted in by ignorant masses who believe hard work by others should provide for all. They are the losers of Capitalism. Unfortunately, lately, there are a lot of losers because of the ridiculous amount of government regulation in everything from mortgage lending to small business. There are only a handful of "super-rich" and politicians who are raping a good system. Obama's "change" is a dud (since he isn't even in office yet but is already looking like a Clinton administration).

The undereducated masses are about to be "educated" over the next four years. Depression, here we come!

BIGGER GOVERNMENT IS NOT THE ANSWER!

[edit on 26-11-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

At the risk of sounding like Gamergal:

So are you saying that the Republicans are at fault and that the Democrat who won this election is the answer to everything bad?

Are you also saying that bigger government IS THE ANSWER?

A picture is worth a thousand words, but I'm kind of dumb. Could you give me a one word reply......like, YES or NO?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

No, I'm just saying that Obama won't be all bad. No one is perfectly good or the right answer to all our ills.

But no one is the absolute wrong answer and perfectly evil.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Thankyou! I really liked that mature and intelligent response! This is one of those instances I am NOT being sarcastic. I can agree with you on this.

Obama has a lot on his plate to take on. I don't like him and didn't vote for him, but I doubt the Republican could do much to help the situation with our economy either.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Unbelievable. You posted something and I didn't want to break my keyboard. Good to see you are giving the benefit of the doubt and hope something good will come out of it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join