It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chat needs to be fixed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well I had a nice long thread ready for viewing, but for some reason all my text decided to delete itself when I switched windows for a couple seconds....
So you're gonna get the short and (not as) sweet version

Sooooo..... for the past several months I've been getting bombarded with that cute little error message everytime I try to log into chat. I know everyone else gets it as well, and I didn't have that big of an issue with it because usually after about 10-20 tries it lets me in.

But recently, no matter how many times I click on the log in button, it won't let me in. I don't know if this has been happening to other people because I can't get into chat and ask.....

Obviously everyone isn't affected because the chat window always says there is other people in the chat room, so why is it blacklisting me?

Is this fixable? I haven't been into chat for quite a while now and I'm getting withdrawals....

[edit on 5-11-2008 by ben420]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I have a few strategies that seem to work more often than not.

Clear cookies.
Close the window or tab, open a new one, and try again.
Shut down your browser and restart it.

You can sometimes sit there and click forever and keep getting that "unknown error" if you don't change anything, but if you refresh the window, close it and try again in a new window or tab, etc., it will usually work.

I'm there now, got in on the first try this morning.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thank you Heike, I cleared my cookies and got into chat after clicking on the log in button around 20 times.

I still think chat needs to be fixed though. Not only is it very annoying to have to sit there and click repeatedly to get in, people new to chat are also turned away. Most people that go to chat are regulars and expect the error message.

Newer members of course don't expect it, and when they get the error message they most likely deduce chat is not working and give up.

Us chatters need fresh meat to corrupt....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
yep chat is terrible and it seems that only the people who know the secret combination of clearing cookies and restarting broswers are allowed in.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

We'll have to wait for a completely new chat, or 123 flash to fix up their software so it works on ATS servers, this dilema has been discussed many times.

Dang Chat
ATS Chat - Unknown Error
Chat function not working
Chat Login Problem

and of course:

The technicalities of why chat doesn't work

top topics

join